Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am fairly restricted now and sort of like it that way. However

I can't seem to eat or drink anything without having to spit a bunch of times. A "normal", 1/2 cup meal will result in almost 1/4 cup of saliva. Given, I drink a lot of Water throughout the day but should I have it loosened? I have lost close to 85 pounds and was banded last Dec1 but still need to lose 15 more.

Yes, I would say you need a slight unfill. It's not natural (even with good band restriction) to be having to spit up saliva when you're eating or drinking. I would think just a very small unfill would do the trick.

Kplant,

I’d say it would be a really good idea to see your surgeon. Discuss with your surgeon your symptoms you mentioned here. I’m almost positive he or she will give you a small unfill.

I’ve had one (well actually 2 now) and it’s not so bad. It’s nice to be able to eat without sliming and pain every time. We got the band to learn healthy eating habits. J

Best wishes to you.

Sounds like you need a slight unfill. I have had 2 and need a 3rd. What's funny is that after my 2nd unfill, I felt really good for over a month and then all of a sudden I have been experiencing discomfort with drinking Water so eating is becoming a challenge. I can eat, but I feel great discomfort. I'm scheduled for a slight unfill for the 3rd time. What makes this band feel tight for no apparent reason? Has anyone else experienced this?

I have read threads about mysteriously tight bands for no known reason and there is no definite answer!!

Kplant, I agree you need a small unfill. You may not lose wt as fast but your nutrition and quality of life will both be better.

Mimi

I am having the same problem. Continuous spitting....can't really keep much solid food down. At night, I can't sleep flat and I have reflux during the night. I am only at 6.5 in a 10 cc band. I have good weightloss with this fill, but it isn't worth it. I am ready for a complete unfill. Should I do it? Complete unfill or slight unfill? Everytime I get to 6.5, I need an unfill. Lower than 6.5, and I stop losing. I have 27 pounds more to lose, but the spitting, throwing up, sliming isn't worth it. My five year old granddaughter told me she is worried about me and I need to go to the doctor, after I uncontrollably threw up in my car in front of her. What should I do?

Glammaw, have you tried just having the doctor remove a small amount..like .25 cc or .5 cc? In other words, how much lower than 6.5 cc is it when you stop losing weight? You're at the stage now (I am too), that the weight seems, at times, to come off dreadfully slow for many of us.

My previous doctor took me from 6.5 to 4.3 then it took months to get back to 6.5. I was okay at 5.5, but maintaining. Maybe 6 will be the sweet spot. I am just tired after almost a year and want to be able to not think about what I can and cannot eat all of the time. I want to forget about food for awhile. Is that just a dream? I want to be normal.

I went from so-so restriction to perfect restriction with a 0.5 cc fill. Just a very small unfill could very well take you to your sweet spot. Other than eating small healthy meals, I don't have any band issues (pb, reflux, sliming, etc). It's definitely possible to have great restriction without having to think about every bite you take, but I also believe some people are just more sensitive to their band than others. Unless your doctor advises otherwise, if it were me, I'd ask to have the .5 cc removed and then stay on liquids for a few days, then mushies a few days before trying solids, since your stoma is likely irritated a bit from the reflux & pb's. I wouldn't wait to get some saline removed though. Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

My previous doctor took me from 6.5 to 4.3 then it took months to get back to 6.5. I was okay at 5.5, but maintaining. Maybe 6 will be the sweet spot. I am just tired after almost a year and want to be able to not think about what I can and cannot eat all of the time. I want to forget about food for awhile. Is that just a dream? I want to be normal.

Glam, I totally understand! I feel the exact same way. I am also still dealing with trying to find that perfect spot this is not too tight where each bite causes pain and sliming or being able to take huge gulps like pre-band days.

I'm very close now and after 2 minor unfills and 2 re-fills I'd say one more tiny one aught to do it. I also don't want to constantly worry that "oh this is gonna hurt so much if I eat it". That is crap! I want to be able to eat bread... as long as it's whole grain and healthy. I want to be able to eat eggs. I want to be able to eat healthy fruit... I mean really. I didn't sign up for a liquid diet.

I hope you are able to find that spot and soon. I'm going in for another one in a week or so. I'll try to fit it in right after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. :thumbup:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, LilMissDiva, for understanding and agreeing with me. My family is worried about me and my DH wants me to have half taken out. My twin five year old granddaughters expect me to throw up every time I eat. I don't want them to develop bad food habits from seeing me. Yesterday, I had to throw up in a parking lot. It is disgusting. I want my life back. I didn't sign up for soft foods or liquids only, either. And, I have to sleep sitting up to prevent reflux. I have an appt. tomorrow at 2:00 to have an unfill. I don't know how much. I have lost 56 pounds, all of them hard. I have changed surgeons, but whenever I get to 6.5, I need an unfill. It is very hard not to just give up. Also, I still have a lot of abdominal fat. I seem to have lost everywhere but there. Well, I have lost there because I have gone down in clothes size, but not as much as everywhere else. Sorry, for the gripe session.....just trying to figure out how much of an unfill to get tomorrow....3 ccs, like my DH wants, or only .5 cc. I have lost 5.5 pounds in 10 days!

Ok, I saw the dr. yesterday and they did a small unfill, 1.5 ccs and I felt better immediately. I got to sleep in my bed last night and no throwing up. I am on liquids today so all is good. I see the dr. again in two weeks to try for a small adjustment....hopefully I can get thru the holidays without too much damage. I guess I will see tomorrow when I go back to food. Wish me luck!

Glammaw, I’m so glad you were given a small unfill. Being sick every time we eat is not fun. I don’t think it was meant to be that way anyway.

Hang in there and with some tiny adjustments I’m positive you will find a peaceful middle ground. I have one scheduled for the 3rd of December. I’m hoping to find mine soon, in fact I hope that will be the last one I’ll need for a very long time!

All the best,

So, when you started throwing up after you ate did it last forever? I have had two 24 hour days of throwing up stomach acid. The first time I went to the hospital. They thought I had a virus. It happened again two weeks later and now again today. I ate very little, but nothing settled and up it is coming.

The problem is I have 2cc in my band and they are unable to draw any out. It won't come out into the syringe. They tried at the hospital.