Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to have surgery, need help

HI My name is Janine and I am 39 years old and I am freaking out about surgery. I have a date for Jan 15th but I keep thinking maybe if I get a nutritionist or get hypnotised I culd do it my self.

I keep hearing about people vomiting or food getting stuck and that scares me because I have always had severe anxiety about getting sick. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and got surgery anyway. How are you dealing with it?

Is there anyone also that never excercised before surgery and now after surgery excercises all the time. I don't excercise at all. Can you live a normal life after having surgery? go out for drinks, parties etc. How much can you really eat after healing form surgery, can you eat anything?

If someone could help me I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Hi Janine,

I, too, was frightened about getting surgery (as I'd imagine most folks on the board were). However, I'd gotten to a point where I realized that the things I'd been doing to try to get my weight under control either weren't working or were only working temporarily. I needed to do something more drastic if I really wanted a lifelong change in my weight and eating habits. I gathered strength from the stories of folks on this board and others who had struggled as I had in the past, but were able to achieve remarkable success with the lap band. Then I mentally committed myself to pursuing it and kept on putting one foot in front of the other. Staying committed was hard the night before my surgery as a little voice kept telling me that I could still back out, but then I remembered how far I'd come and what I stood to gain - so I bit the bullet and went for it. Really, the surgery itself wasn't half bad. Now I'm on the other side and am looking forward to getting through recovery and getting on with my life!

Hey Janine! I totally understand what you're probably feeling! In my experience, I didn't know any of the yucky details before my surgery....I just made the commitment because I wanted to lose the weight. Then, after surgery, I found the blog and started reading about what was happening to me....getting stuck, bandster hell, etc.

I think it's really important to focus on the reason you're having surgery. There are good and bad points about EVERYTHING! Even if you were trying to lose weight without the help of the band, there would be good and bad points of every "diet" or exercise program. The band is no different...it just brings a unique set of challanges.

I think you are in a really good spot, actually!!! You are going into this process FULLY INFORMED (about the good and bad), and you are going to have much more realistic expectations than I did when I had the surgery.

Since your surgery is still a few months out, why not start NOW by practicing the lifesytle changes that the band will require (i.e. smaller portions, chewing, exercising....). The band truly is just a tool, and if you start the process now, it might help you deal with your fear.

Think of it this way: while there are uncomfortable parts of the band process, it works for people, and those uncomfortable parts are worth it in the long run. If you decide to have surgery, you will go through the ups and downs, but one year later, I bet you will be feeling much better about your weight!!!!

Keep us updated on your decision process!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do....

P.S.... The picutre of me you see was taken on halloween this year... That is my wedding anniversary. I am sitting at Hooters in Las Vegas having a beer eating wings and fried pickles. I had surgury on 6/18/09...

Here is the difference. I don't normally drink beer because it bothers me. My restriction was low so the carbination didn't bother me so I had two beers. I survived. The rest of my weekend I drank wine. I only had about 4 wings in stead of the 18 I probably would have eaten before... I had about 5 pickle slices compared to who knows how many I would have eatin in the past... I was happy, satisfied and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Is this normal for me...no. But it was Halloween, it was my anniversary and we were having a great weekend with our kids in Vegas, BEING NORMAL! FYI... the person taking the picture across the table from me is my husband that was also banded the same day...

We have our one night out together every week maybe two weeks depending on how busy we are. We always did that in the past and will continue to do so. We have a couple glasses of wine and share an appetizer and enjoy each others company.

I have lost 41 pounds since surgery he has 56. Not bad for two people that are trying to live life as it was in moderation. Our weight loss would probably be more if we never did anything or did our weekend trips here and there, but I refuse to give up living.

We went to Vegas on 10-31 we came home on 11-3. We had a great time. We ate and drank what we wanted, just not as much because you physically can't and that is great! When I got home I instantly went on the scale to see how much damage I did and I lost a pound... We did a lot of walking. That was Tuesday night. I went in for a fill (already scheduled) on Wednesday morning and as of today 5 days later I have already lost another 6. I also went out this weekend and played darts with my husband at one of our local hang outs... Just like normal!

I am just trying to make you see that YES you can live life normally afterwords. Just now it will be a healthier normal. Don't be afraid. :smile2:

I have to lose about 180 pounds

I don't think the band is right for everyone... you have to figure out what makes you overeat and decide will the band be the right tool for me.

I knew my problem was overeating at meals. I wasn't someone who gorged on sweets or Snacks, but give me mealtime and I couldn't stop. I tried weight watchers, I sawa nutritionist... it took A LOT for me to admit that I couldn't do this on my own. I had been over weight MY ENTIRE life... I'd have some success on diets, but never get to a goal weight (or even close) and it always creeped back up. I looked into bypass, but knew that wasn't right for me then one day I looked into Lap Band and it all made sense.

I was SCARED to say the least. I'd never had ANY surgery, I hate needles and I hate to throw up. But things just fell into place. Before I knew it the surgery was scheduled and I was keeping it a secret, but then I started telling anyone and everyone (I think as a way to keep me from backing out). I haven't regretted it yet (i'm one month out and down 23 pounds). I haven't had a fill yet, but I'm excited for it.

The best thing you can do is ask questions now, learn as much as you can and trust yourself.

Good luck!

You and are in the same boat... I have the same number to lose... I am not missing anything. I pesonally have not thrown up once, I have not had anything stuck.

That number is overwhelming and you can't do it by your self or you would have... Believe me I know:scared2:

Again, don't be afraid, you will be much happier. I won't lie, it's rough in the beginning... I am almost 5 months out and it's easy now. The head hunger is still there, but that is why I am in this boat anyway. So if you can get working on that part you will be one step ahead of the game...

Good Luck!

i had my surgery on oct 13 of this year. i agree with the others. it is a lifestyle change for sure. for me, i have not had any problems with vomiting or with things getting stuck. i have not had a fill yet ( dec 3 for me). i do exercise more that i did before, but i am not a marathon runner either. i do alot of walking videos or walking outside. i agree that you should make some changes now and avoid the stress after the surgery. just change a few little things like some of the others have suggested. use smaller portions, cut out some snacking, move a bit more, etc.

good luck to you in your new life.

My biggest issue is with meal portion. I am not a snacker but I eat to much when I do eat. I knew this "restriction" is what I needed. I chose to do this surgery because I could not do this on my own. I was banded 10.29 and I feel great. I am getting a little bored with my food options but I know this time period is short and eventually I'll be eating solid foods again. I love reading this forum because it has kept me going! So far I've lost 12 pounds! When I was deciding to do this I knew I could not alter my body like gastric bypass does. Also I wanted to make sure if my son wants to go out to McDonalds after a soccer game in the future mom can come with him. I have three friends who have done this and other than chewing slowly, having smaller portions and not drinking during meals they eat everything I do. It's not a cure all because you still have to change things in your life but in order to get great results you will have to be willing to do this. It's a great tool as long as you use it right. Good luck!

I forgot to mention how I am totally saving money too when I do go out to eat... even when I order smaller meals they are turning into 2-3 meals for the price of one! Right now I am addicted to meditteranean/middle eastern food.... before if I got this combo I would eat it all and ask for extra pita... today I brought a bunch of it back and only ate half a pita and I am STUFFED. I love not feeling so controlled by the food.< /p>

I was absolutely terrified to have the stomach flu. PBing is different. It is not like the kind of vomit that comes to mind when you hear the word. The food is undigested and there is no stomach acid involved. A better description would be like a baby spitting up. It isn't as bad as you think and actually is a relief when it happens.

I keep hearing about people vomiting or food getting stuck and that scares me because I have always had severe anxiety about getting sick. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem and got surgery anyway. How are you dealing with it?

I almost canceled my surgery after finding this site and for the same reasons...but keep reading. For every story of someone getting stuck or throwing up, there are many many more from people who never have had a problem with either.

Is there anyone also that never excercised before surgery and now after surgery excercises all the time.

I didn't 'exercise' (if you mean going to the gym, doing Pilates, etc.) before and don't intend to now. I do intend to live a more active lifestyle. As my weight comes off, I find I have more energy and *want* to move. I'm seriously thinking of getting a set of Tai Bo DVD's because it looks like so much fun.

How much can you really eat after healing form surgery, can you eat anything?.

Based on the posts I've been reading, the answer is yes...you just don't eat as much as you used to. Which, to me, is the purpose of the band.