Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you had a tummy tuck please help! Im getting one on 11/19 and have multiple ques!

I am getting a Tummy Tuck, Breast lift with Implants and Lipo of the thighs on November 19. I am really starting to worry about the pain. How much pain can I expect? Also was there any things that helped you besides pain meds example pillows? etc? Any and all help would be appreciated! Less than 2 weeks now!

Allie:

I can understand your concern. I only had a Tummy Tuck with some extra Lipo. My procedure was alot simpler than what you are having done. I wish I'd had the $$$ to get breast implants too, but it wasn't in the cards for me.

As far as the pain goes, the pain pump is a life-saver for the first few days. I had the kind that they tape onto your abdomen and you push a button when you need some extra anesthetic over your internal wounds. It helped alot to press the button just before getting out of bed or up from a chair. My worst pain was in the groin area from the lip she did down in that area. I couldn't actually lay on my side for a few weeks because I would get such sharp pains shooting down there.

One of the blessings of tummy tuck surgery is that when they cut off all of the excess skin they also cut alot of the nerves. For me, this means that alot of my tummy was numb for a long time. The feeling has been coming back, but I'm not quite there.

As far as helpful things to have at home. I bought one of those "wedge-type" pillows. In hind-sight I would have been just fine piling up pillows instead. Waste of money to buy the wedge. I suggest that you get some really loose sweat pants and some pajama tops that button up. The sweat pants should have pockets to hold your drain bulbs. You'll also want to make sure you have some slip-on shoes and slippers because you shouldn't be bending for a few weeks.

You may want to buy an extra binder, or a Spanx type of garment. You'll have a binder on 24/7 for several weeks. It's actually going to become one of your best friends for a while. It's very comforting.

Take care. I look forward to reading your posts and hearing about your recovery.

My LAP-BAND® doctor told me to start taking extra Vitamin C before the plastic surgery because it would help in healing. I did heal pretty well, so you might want to do this too. Remember, you'll need to eat nutritional foods to help with the healing too. You probably won't be hungry for a couple of weeks, but it's important to make sure you get in enough good calories.

Another thing to remember is to stay on top of the pain meds. Don't wait to have pain to take a pill. Because if you wait too long the pain can be so bad that it will bring on nausea. Nausea and abdominal surgery aren't compatible! I have issues with pain meds and nausea so I had to decide whether to bare the pain or risk the nausea. Risking the nausea usually won for me.

Remember, the pain is so worth it!

Sue

Allie, I am happy you are asking questions and staying active posting.

Very informative post, Sue, thank you. Mine isn't til March 16th, but arms and bewbies are Jan 4th. I still can't decide whether or not to get implants with my lift!!!

Mimi

Allie:

I can understand your concern. I only had a Tummy Tuck with some extra Lipo. My procedure was alot simpler than what you are having done. I wish I'd had the $$$ to get breast implants too, but it wasn't in the cards for me.

As far as the pain goes, the pain pump is a life-saver for the first few days. I had the kind that they tape onto your abdomen and you push a button when you need some extra anesthetic over your internal wounds. It helped alot to press the button just before getting out of bed or up from a chair. My worst pain was in the groin area from the lip she did down in that area. I couldn't actually lay on my side for a few weeks because I would get such sharp pains shooting down there.

One of the blessings of tummy tuck surgery is that when they cut off all of the excess skin they also cut alot of the nerves. For me, this means that alot of my tummy was numb for a long time. The feeling has been coming back, but I'm not quite there.

As far as helpful things to have at home. I bought one of those "wedge-type" pillows. In hind-sight I would have been just fine piling up pillows instead. Waste of money to buy the wedge. I suggest that you get some really loose sweat pants and some pajama tops that button up. The sweat pants should have pockets to hold your drain bulbs. You'll also want to make sure you have some slip-on shoes and slippers because you shouldn't be bending for a few weeks.

You may want to buy an extra binder, or a Spanx type of garment. You'll have a binder on 24/7 for several weeks. It's actually going to become one of your best friends for a while. It's very comforting.

Take care. I look forward to reading your posts and hearing about your recovery.

My LAP-BAND®® doctor told me to start taking extra Vitamin C before the plastic surgery because it would help in healing. I did heal pretty well, so you might want to do this too. Remember, you'll need to eat nutritional foods to help with the healing too. You probably won't be hungry for a couple of weeks, but it's important to make sure you get in enough good calories.

Another thing to remember is to stay on top of the pain meds. Don't wait to have pain to take a pill. Because if you wait too long the pain can be so bad that it will bring on nausea. Nausea and abdominal surgery aren't compatible! I have issues with pain meds and nausea so I had to decide whether to bare the pain or risk the nausea. Risking the nausea usually won for me.

Remember, the pain is so worth it!

Sue

Sue thank you thank you thank you! Those are some awesome tips!!! I am not getting a pain pump :w00t: I wish I was. They gave me a perscription for 40 percocets. I am going to buy some sweatpants with pockets today and some slippers! What about the toilet? Did you buy something to make it higher? You rock sister! Thanks so much! xoxo

Allie:

I didn't have a problem with the toilet while I was recuperating from Tummy Tuck. I'm 5' 7" so maybe because I'm on the taller end of the scale it was easier for me to sit on the toilet.

I did have one other thing to recommend. I have a showerhead that can be either handheld or up on the shower wall. I think that was helpful for rinsing off without bending.

Hopefully the pain meds will be good for you. Or, at least keep you asleep alot so that you don't notice how comfortable or uncomfortable you are. I remember being kind of a zombie for a few days at home until I cut back some on the pain meds. I would sleep for 3 hours and stay awake for an hour, then sleep for 2-3 hours, and stay awake for an hour again, so on for a week or so.

I got a complete unfill prior to tummy tuck because I have big issues with anesthesia and nausea. Good thing because I had dry heaves for the first 24 hours postop. Didn't get refilled until about 2 - 3 weeks out from tummy tuck. Had to wait until I could stretch abdomen straight enough for lapband surgeon to put fill back in - my port is near rib cage.

Again, let me know if you have any other questions. I got help from others before me on this site, so we all have to pay it forward.

Take care.

I wonder how Potatie is doing? I'm surprised I haven't seen any of her postop posts yet. I hope she's just sleepin' it off.

Sue

Does insurance cover a Tummy Tuck? I'm just wondering if this is something I should start saving for. Thanks!

Does insurance cover a Tummy Tuck? I'm just wondering if this is something I should start saving for. Thanks!

Alilash:

No, most insurances don't cover tummy tucks. However, some may cover a panniculectomy (panni). They may cover a panni if you are having medical issues because of the excess loose skin on your abdomen. I was able to get coverage for my panni because of recurring rashes under the pannus. A panniculectomy is the removal of the apron of excess skin on your abdomen only. It doesn't usually have the beautiful result that a full tummy tuck has. If you check out www.makemeheal.com you can find some pictures that show both procedures.

My out of pocket cost for the tummy tuck was about $7,800 after the insurance coverage for the panni.

Start saving if you think you are going to need a tummy tuck. It's a painful procedure, but it's well worth it.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

Allie,

I had an extended Tummy Tuck with anchor cut , mons lift, small breast lift with implants on Oct 23rd 2008. I too was given pain pills, but for the first 3-4 days I LOVED the pain pump. I did have to pay extra for it and am SOO glad I did. it was a suction type one that automatically delivered medication directly to my tummy wounds. I was cut way back on each hip and also from pubic bone to the bottom of my breasts. Like Sue said stay on top of your pain meds, dont wait for them to wear off, or you will HURT!!!

I used a wedge pillow, and I am short so I used a toilet seat riser. I used ice packs on my breast as they felt like they were going to explode on about day 3-5. so I put gel ice packs over the wrappings every few hours. I wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat anything but had to so I lived off of Bullet type Protein drinks. 42 grams of Protein in each, so I drank 3 a day along with Soups for the most part of the first week and a half.

Like Sue said also, I still dont have all the feeling back in my tummy from the top of the public bone to my belly button. I also just got the feeling back in one nipple, the other still none. :-(

But I did have all feeling in breasts after the 1st surgery, In May of this year I went in for a revision to fix some puckering of my breasts and to fix my tummy where I had wound seperation. and Since that surgery is when I have no feeling in nipples, the left one just came back a few weeks ago.

I have a thread on here called Shalees October overhaul, you can check it out, it's been a year, so I cant remember it all. :-)

Extra binder is nice so you can always have one clean and ready to change into. they can get messy.

I was given meds in my IV during surgery to help with my nausea, a patch to put on the morning of surgery and extras to have also. one lasts 3 days. :-)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Kelly :-)

wow ladies thanks so much for all the great info! I called my doctor yesterday and asked if the pain pump was available to me they said yes but it would cost an extra $450.00 I paid for it right then and there. I would rather pay than be in pain. Thank you so much for that info, otherwise I would have never known. My plan is to sleep in the recliner on our main floor, that way I don't have to do stairs and I will be elevated. I am getting soooo anxious and nervous. My back went out on Sunday and I have been in so much pain from the muscle spasms. I am getting so frustrated two weeks ago I sprained my ankle and tore some ligaments and tendons in my foot. I think I have it figured out, I think God is just trying to help build up my pain tolerance for this surgery. I am trying to think positive. It is getting harder and harder. I have lost another 3 pounds this week. Being on flexerill (sp?) really makes any thoughts of foods disappear. Thanks again and I will keep all of you posted as how I progress. Please say a prayer for me :tongue_smilie:

Thank you to everyone for all the helpful information posted on here! Thoughts & prayers will be with you during your surgery, I hope the pump works out well for you :tongue_smilie:

Thanks mimi and alil~

Alie, I just wanted to say, WOW you have lost more then you now weigh!! Way to go girl!!!!

you look awsome by the way. :-)

Alie, I just wanted to say, WOW you have lost more then you now weigh!! Way to go girl!!!!

you look awsome by the way. :-)

Thanks so much Shalee!! I feel great!