Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 days post-op. Ever since my surgery I have been in terrible pain under my left rib cage in my front and in my back. Have been to the emergency room - given heavy duty pain medication. Then saw my sugeon on day 5 and he took out the 3ccs of saline that was put in at surgery. No relief. I am supposed to be on soft Proteins and I have no desire to eat because I hurt worse afterwards. So...I go back to liquids... still in intense pain. Call the surgeon on day 7. He does not want to see me - thinks this is just post-operative pain. I have had several surgeries including a hysterectomy and a myomectomy. I know what post-surgical pain is - this pain is not that. My left side of my abdomin, under my left breast, is distended. I am really thinking about getting the band removed. I do not know much else to do and this has been a terrible experience for me.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Thanks, Lisa

I had shoulder and back pain for quite a while. Exspecially after I ate or drank something. I, too this day, am very sensitive to fills. I have been banded for 3+ years and recently had all of my Fluid removed because of the pain that you are talking about. Start taking prilosac daily if you are not already. After about 7 days on that my stomach really started to feel alot better and the pain went away. Don't give up yet!!! Things get better. Sometimes it just takes longer than what it does for others. Hang in there! Let me know how your doing.

I was banded on 7/31 and I had a bad pain in my shoulder for about 3 weeks. All I did was put hot compresses and took liquid motrin to relieve the pain.

Dont have it taken out. the Dr. is correct. The pain is from the CO2 Gas they put in during surgery and then it takes a long time to get out of your system. Just walk around alot. I had a lot of pain just like you did for 2 1/2 weeks. It will go away I promise. I had other surgery's also and this was the worse. Hang in there. I had my surgery on 10-15-09 and today has been week three. I am feeling great now butat first when I was in pain I cried everyday for two weeks. I was miserable!!! I will be thinking of you and I hope you feel better soon!

There may be some other reason why you are in so much pain. I would insist your surgeon make the time to see you ASAP. Some level of post-surgical pain is normal and can last for several weeks. You are the best judge of your pain level and if you think something is wrong then demand the care you paid for.

As for removing the band, you are not the first person to feel this way in the beginning. Just stick with it and things will get easier. Right now you are in a weakend state because of the trama from surgery and feeling more emotional from food deprivation but give the band some time.

A week after my surgery I laid in bed crying and asking myself why the hell did I do this. One month and 37 pounds later, and I was elated and knew I had made the best decision I ever made.

Hang in there, and call your surgeon.

Donna

You must insist on seeing your surgery. Severe pain is not normal is a signal of a problem. Ask for a swallow study, have them check your WBC and liver enzymes and request a consult with a Gastro. The Gastro will be able to tell if the band is too tight and causing restriction. It sounds like you have an infection as well as dehydration and you don't want the scar tissue to form. I was banded 10/1/08 and had it removed 12/17/08 due to Septicemia.

Good Luck

I ended up in the ER with the kind of pain you are talking about. Under rib cage and in the back. They ran CT scans, etc. and found nothing wrong. The pain would subside some when I was laying down but become very intense the minute I was upright. Come to find out, I was not drinking enough Water. They put in an IV and filled me up with fluids and the next day... NO PAIN. I started drinking 4 bottles of Water a day (even if I had to force myself to do it) and I have not had the pain since. I still got some gas pain in the top of my shoulder, but this pain was not the same. It was intense! I wanted the band OUT! I could not even stand upright because of the pain. The dr actually thought that a stitch might be catching on something inside. Thank goodness it was just dehydration.

I don't know if yours is the same, but try drinking 4 bottles of water today and see how you feel tomorrow.

I want to thank you all for this information. I was banded on 10/23 and still have slight pain in the same location. I cried about it and wondered what I did to myself. I have a Dr's appt tomorrow and feel better about what I have heard. Hopefully it is that I am not drinking enough,even though I feel I am and am following the rules..GOOD LUCK everyone..and thanks again!!:tongue_smilie: