Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A good lie re: scar?

Hello,

I am planning on being very selective with who I share my surgery secret with! so, that being said, is there any good white lie that I could use in the event that someone sees the scars on my stomach ? for instance, I travel out of town for work approx 3 times a year and often have to share a room with a coworker or what if someone sees me changeing at the gym and asks about the scar.

does anyone have any good explanation for the scar? appendix removal?

im also interested in seeing what the scars look like from a distance several months after the procedure. i have seen the threads where people shared their scars but alot of them are pictures that are so close up that its hard to really get a realistic grasp of their visibility.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS

Again everyone, you are all so amazing and awesome!

Well, you could say you had your appendix out, that is done laproscopically, or you had some uterine fibroids removed:) Either is passable:)

Just say, "I had a minor surgery" and let it go at that. It's no one's business what kind of surgery you had and if they persist in asking, tell them you had a "secret 007 device inserted to monitor nosey questions". That should do it for you!

I've said hernia repair. :scared2:

Which it is partly true because the doctor fixed a hiatal hernia and removed some scar tissue from my gall bladder surgery (another story you could use) at the same time he "installed" my lapband.

Good luck... most people don't look that closely anyway...

Gallbladder surgery is a good one, that is as long as you don't have to have it out in the future! Then you'll have to think of something else. :scared2:

lies tend to catch up with you. Just avoid showing the scars. Turn the other way if someone is around when you are changing clothes. As for me, just about everyone I know is aware I had lapband surgery and serves as my support team.

I am going with gall bladder surgery.

I time the scars really aren't that pronounced so you may not need to worry so much. I was worried about who I shared with at first but as time goes on and you lose so much weight you just don't care as much anymore who knows because you look so much better. I still don't share with people that I don't know well but will discuss with anyone that asks. The problem is if you tell a few people even though you ask them not to tell anyone... you know they will. I was worried about looking like a liar if someone asked and already really knew the truth so I am an open book and feel more comfortable that way. Everyone will follow their own path on this journey an what feels right to them. If I am at a restaurant and have to stop eating after only a few bites the waiter will always ask if everything is ok. I just tell them I have stomach problems and that is always good enough. Anyway, I think the previous person that said I had minor surgery and no further explaination is needed was right on.

I agree that lying has a way of catching up with people. I've never had anyone ask about scars, but I have had people ask how I've lost so much weight. I tell them that I've worked hard at eating less and moving more. If they keep asking, I'll tell them about the band. The truth is that I HAVE worked hard and moved more--the band just helped me do it.

I like other's suggestions to tell folks that you had minor surgery. It's the truth, and if people aren't satisfied with that and they're not people with whom you are comfortable sharing, then I would leave it at that. Most of the time, people won't push for more info.

Good luck!

Thanks eveyone. Yes, I definately dont plan on showing them much. But I'm sure that there will be instances where people see and possibly ask. I have another large scar on my upper thigh due to a surgery that I had when I was 14 and have been asked by people. They didnt seem to mean to offend me, but seemed to ask out of pure curiosity/possibly concern. or maybe it was just small talk. I didnt really consider it rude or nosey. So I just the same may happen with this procedure and I feel like my not giving an answer might come off as defensive and suspicious.

I think Ill go with something like gall bladder or appendix. I dont anticipate it happening much, but if it does it would be nice to just have something in my arsenal to move on from the issue!

Thanks again!

:)

I tell everyone I had a hiatal hernia surgery, that covered my two weeks of liquid after the surgery / the scar and any other white lies regarding any food / meal I cannot eat with co -workers and extended family ;-)

First, people are rude for asking so I think you're perfectly justified in lying through your teeth and telling them it was a bear attack. Or maybe viscious kittens.