Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded 12-4-09, New to this site, Looking for some advice

Hey Everyone....This is my first post! trying to figure this whole site out! Heres my brief story: I am 23 years old. I am a registered nurse in a surgical ICU. I am working towards becoming a NP. I have been heavy most of my life, and finally going to get WLS. I am getting banded 12-4-09 and It seems like forever away!!! I start my pre-op diet Nov 24 and nervous about feeling SO hungry. I am not afraid of surgery, but I am nervous about getting food stuck afterwards....I have been reading posts from people and it has me TERRIFIED! Do you really have to chew your food for a really long time before you can swallow?? I am just looking for some advice and words of encouragement, and any tips you can give to get me through the liquid diet, surgery, and life after surgery!

Thanks in advance!!:Yawn:

I was banded on Sept 28th. It couldn't have went better! I was home the next day by noon and had very little pain. The first week post op i was Clear Liquids, then full liquids, then mushies, the pretty much regular food as tolerable. I must say the 2nd week was when i felt some restriction and had to take it easy with what i "ate". No restriction at all now, can't wait for first fill on Nov 10th. Preop clear liquid week was difficult the first couple days, then the motivation kicked in and it really wasn't so bad after that......I did NOT cheat once and lost almost 20#'s that week preop. I am down almost 50# including the preop diet. All I can say is I am extremely glad I had it done so far.

That is amazing! 50 pounds already!!!!! If you dont mind me asking, how much did u start out weighing? What kind of liquids did you drink??

Also wondering.....How many people told friends/family/coworkers that they were having WLS? I am SO excited and just want to tell EVERYONE, but I am worried about what people will say and I dont want them judging for me for having surgery, or trying to talk me out of it, but I am so happy about this, and I just want to announce it to the world! haha! Any opinions about who to tell or experiences uve had??

Hi Rachel,

I'm getting banded the same day as you! I'm also feeling excited/anxious. In regard to telling people, it is completely up to you and how you feel. I have told most people and have only had 2-3 negative responses. 2 saying that I didn't need it, because i'm not that 'BIG'. These two people have never tried to lose weight in their life. So I just said it's my decision and then ignored them. The third person is one of my closest friends and she was worried for my health as she knew someone that had a bad experience. She has come around now that I have explained it more.

I'm so proud to have made the decision to have the WLS, and i'm happy to tell people. I have a good friend who is getting it done in Feb 2010, she isn't telling anyone, that's her choice though.

I had surgery 10/22/09 and felt ready in every way for this. I was @ 230lbs and miserable. But, truthfully, I never really tried and stuck to a diet. I am one week post-op and really wish I had not done it. I only told my mom, husband, 2 of 5 siblings, and one dear friend. I am not planning on telling anyone else. I had thought about the lap band since I first heard about it a couple of years ago. The idea has rolled around in my head until I finally made the decision to do it. I paid for it myself b/c I did not want to go thru process for insurance and then they possibly deny (but, I might try to get reimbursed now). I am struggling emotionally WAY more than I thought someone like me would. I don't know, ask me in a year if it was worth it and I may have a whole different attitude. But, I will say this, if you know deep down that you could have done more to improve your health - don't have the surgery. You can do it, and you're so young!! Try components of the bariatric diet to cut calories, b/c this surgery is not the "easy" answer. Good luck to you either way.

KSLESSAR-we will have to stay in contact with eachother and see how everything is going with our preop diets and surgery!! Thats exciting we are getting banded the same day!!!

Raquel42....Im sorry you are having such a rough time after surgery. What is it that is so hard? is the the food that you eat or the amount? Are you in pain? Just wondering whats so hard, so I can prepare myself!!!

That is amazing! 50 pounds already!!!!! If you dont mind me asking, how much did u start out weighing? What kind of liquids did you drink??

I started at 324 on sept 17th......today I weigh 273-4. I drank broth, 5 calorie fruit "juice",lots of Water and sf Jello.

I started at 324 on sept 17th......today I weigh 273-4. I drank broth, 5 calorie fruit "juice",lots of Water and sf Jello.

OMG, that sounds like a starvation diet! LOL! Could u have as much as you wanted, or did you have to limit it?

OMG, that sounds like a starvation diet! LOL! Could u have as much as you wanted, or did you have to limit it?

My surgeon requires the week preop to be zero or very, very close to zero calories. It's pretty much the same the first week postop

I would say the chewing is something you get used to and it really raises your awareness of what and how much you are putting into your mouth. If I dont chew well enough or take one bite too many I get a small ping in my shoulder which will become real pain if I dont stop eating...I LOVE it. I call it the bitch-slap I need to eat right!

I would say be careful who you tell or it can become the only thing people want to talk about and ask you about and look you up and down to evaluate how they judge you to be doing...also I have read some nasty comments made to people about it so you have to be strong because some people are really mean...Its medical, its personal, I would at least start by only telling the people who you KNOW will support you...Good Luck!

Rachel,

I am close your age so I thought I would give my opinion on telling people. I am not scheduled for surgery yet, but I am a self pay and have my seminar Nov 10 (hope to have it before Christmas!). I have told my closest friends, my parents, and my husband, and my mother-in-law & father-in-law. I have had one negative response. And it was from someone I didn't expect it from. She seemed to be very disgusted by the fact I was resorting to WLS. Oh well, she is skinny and doesn't understand. Otherwise, everybody else is so happy for me! To be honest, I can tell a difference in myself because I know that soon I will be starting a brand new life. You will know in your heart who you really want to tell. Trust me, I want to shout it out, but I know not everybody understands. lol That's why I stuck to certain people. I'm sure you and I both will have huge success!!! Good luck!!!!!

TNGIRL-

I went to work the other day(I am a nurse in an ICU) and i was so excited I started telling a few people. And everyone there gave me negative responses....I felt horrible afterwards. I am so excited about WLS and they just brought me down. I am self pay also and people told me that it was a waste of money and I should be able to do it without surgery....others said I wasnt "fat enough" for WLS, and others said it was the easy way out...i heard it all, so I am trying to not tell anyone else at work, but im sure word will spread soon!! My family and friends are all very supportive so thats help me alot!

good luck!!

Congrats on your decision! I had a lot of the same feelings of being nervous, hungry, unsure of who to tell, etc. before surgery.

I ended up telling SO many people. I was lucky in that everyone was, and is so supportive.

The preop diet sounds scary, but actually its amazing and I do self-imposed liquid diets for 5-7 days at a time now and again just to cleanse and kick start the weight loss again. Its good to detox from the carbs now and again too. Before surgery, I lost 20 pounds on the preop diet, and it was so awesome. The weight coming off was more than motivation to stick with it.

Also, by the way, I was nervous about the chewing part too. I tried to do it for weeks before my surgery but couldn't. But for some reason, after surgery, its no problem. I guess you just get used to it. And actually, we don't chew our food enough anyways (those who have had WLS and skinny people who haven't). I saw a news report that food today is already pre digested (by that, he meant the food we eat is so processed, it doesn't require the same amount of digestion that it once did and it is unhealthier and we can consume more of it very easily). The chewing, after a little, seems to just come naturally.

I was banded in June 09 (about 4.5 months ago). I started my preop diet the beginning of June (or maybe May 31st, I can't remember now!) and since the beginning of the preop diet until now I have lost about 75 pounds. This is the best best BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I have lost almost half of my excess weight and I am not stopping until I reach my goal. I think if you go into this with the mindset that you will succeed and there is no other option, then you will. Good luck and dont be nervous - just enjoy the journey!

Hi there,

I was banded last week and I think it is all about mindset and if you really want the band. Someone earlier made the comment about if you can loose the weight without the band do it and save yourself the money/time/stress. I could do that but what I love about the band is that it is a life long tool to help me be fit. I have yet to have kids, women in my family are so very obese I am scared if I did loose weight Id be right back there after kids.

Nothing comes easy. The band so far has been a great decision. I have a doctor who is very strict. 2 week pre op liquid diet and four week post op before going to mushies! I admit it is hard but I can do it and the great thing is I have this tool to help me. As far as telling anyone only you know yourself so make the decision for yourself. Close family will and should support you and if you dont have that support find it through this and meet ups. My hospital has support groups so you can even start going to those now. Good luck!!