Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

I am having trouble with my 10-day liquid diet. The first day was absolute torture. I actually felt like I was going through food withdrawls. I realized that I was not eating enough and had to follow through with eating every 2 hours because if I waited until I was hungry, it seemed like nothing would fill me up. Days 2,3,and 4 were good. I was having between 700-850 calories a day, drinking at least 64 oz of Water, and wasn't feeling hungry. Day 5, today, was awful. I had my pre-op appointment at 2:00, which made me not able to eat for 4 hours. Needless to say, by the time I got home, the broth wasn't doing anything for me, and on top of everything, had a headache from not eating. So I cheated. I ate a piece of rye bread and some crackers. Eating the carbs did make my headache go away, but now I feel really guilty and keep thinking that the slice of rye bread and crackers is going to make my liver large. I still have five days left on the liquid diet and already lost 2 pounds in the first four days of my diet, so hopefully I am just making a big deal out of nothing.

Has anyone else slipped up on their liquid diet?

I am having trouble with my 10-day liquid diet. The first day was absolute torture. I actually felt like I was going through food withdrawls. I realized that I was not eating enough and had to follow through with eating every 2 hours because if I waited until I was hungry, it seemed like nothing would fill me up. Days 2,3,and 4 were good. I was having between 700-850 calories a day, drinking at least 64 oz of Water, and wasn't feeling hungry. Day 5, today, was awful. I had my pre-op appointment at 2:00, which made me not able to eat for 4 hours. Needless to say, by the time I got home, the broth wasn't doing anything for me, and on top of everything, had a headache from not eating. So I cheated. I ate a piece of rye bread and some crackers. Eating the carbs did make my headache go away, but now I feel really guilty and keep thinking that the slice of rye bread and crackers is going to make my liver large. I still have five days left on the liquid diet and already lost 2 pounds in the first four days of my diet, so hopefully I am just making a big deal out of nothing.

Wow! That's a really rough pre-op diet! I'm getting ready to start mine January 1st- no coincidence there.... I wanted my last Christmas holiday including left overs! Anyway, I'm trying to psych myself up. But mine is not strictly liquids. I am to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and one for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. If I get hungry I can have salad greens (no dressing) and/or a sugar free popsicle.

Good luck on that liquid pre-op diet. Try to keep to it as much as possible- but if you slip up, don't beat yourself up. One thing I know for sure is that (me personally) if I slipped up on a diet, I would basically just say "well this day is shot" and eat what I wanted and constantly say "I'll make up for it tomorrow." Be stronger than that! You can do it!!

On that note.... anyone on a pre-op diet similar to mine??? I'd like some suggestions on Protein Shakes. I've never been a big fan and there are tons of options so any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Don't worry Mary you should be ok. Do you have a nutritionist that you have been working with that you could call? I have to be on my pre-op diet for FOUR week and I am on day 9. It's been pretty hard and I did have a tiny bite of chicken tonight because I could not get my stomach to stop rumbling even after all my Protein Shakes, Jello and chicken broth. Each day gets better because your body will stop asking for food. I lost 10lbs in the fist 6 days! Not eating Christmas dinner was rough but I made it through!!

Good luck on the rest of your pre-op liquids...YOU CAN DO IT!!;)

Hi MaryfromMI,

My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 11. I was told to go on a liquid pre-op diet for 14 days, starting the 27th of Dec. Today is the end of my 3rd day. There is also a pre-op diet list of solid foods that they gave me to choose from if I absolutely need to. I was told that they prefer that I stick with the liquids only. Well you know what... there is no way I can go for 2 weeks on only liquids. What I have been doing to help with the hunger is I cut up a Tomato or cucumber, add salt and vinegar and mmmm. They taste pretty good like that. I also, yesterday and today, replaced one of my Protein Drinks for a small piece of left over turkey. So far so good. I have lost 6 lbs in 3 days. I no it is just water at this point so we will see what the next 11 days will be like. I am also suppose to go on a 14 day post-op liquid diet ...ugh.

If you feel the need to eat something solid, try 3 oz of lean meat in place of the Protein Drink. You can also nibble non-starchy vegetables. Try to stay away from bread, Pasta, and rice.

I hope this helps. ;)

Hi all

I had my pre-op appt yesterday went pretty well. I start my liquid diet on the 2nd of Jan. My surgery date is Jan 14th:smile: As everyone has posted I am excited and nervous. I keep waking up in the middle of the night and start to panic. I have told just a few friends and while they are supportive I kind of feel like they think this is extreme. I just get that vibe. Anyone else feel that way?

I am having it done by Dr. Feilding in NYC. Anyone else out there with him and a Jan date?

Good luck to everyone. We are going to have a great 2010

J:thumbup:

Oh my goodness I started the pre-op liquid diet today and I'm fighting some serious head hunger someone just made popcorn here at work and I can smell it! I hope once I get in a good routine that this will get a little easier. I never realized all the things that triggered me to eat. Smell, boredom, being tired. I'm going to succeed and follow this diet to a T. Is anyone else on thier pre-op diet struggling?

I have been struggling as well. I did ok the first week. Actually the first day I had such a horrible sinus headache I didnt notice I was hungry. LOL. I am on day 10 and still doing so so. Yesterday was hard, all the rumbles and noises from my tummy. I see a lot of people have some solid food choices. I envy you all. Until Friday I get 4 Protein Shakes, broth, Jello, popsicles and Water (crystal light). Then Clear Liquids for 2 days. I will say I have thought about cheating, even putting food in my mouth chewing it and spitting it out. But I stopped myself. I had a hard time with mindless eating the first few days, eating pretzles while everyone was talking, taking a bite out of the cookie I was giving my child etc. In a way it gets easier and at the same time it gets harder. Good luck to you. Just tell yourself, If you can do this two weeks you can do anything. :)

Well, today is day 6 of the liquid diet. I weighed myself this morning and I didn't lose weight, but I didn't gain from my little cheat either. So today is a new day. I am feeling strong and am determined to get through the next five days.

But I do have some more questions. I have seen people losing a lot of weight on their pre-op diet. Is it all Water weight and is there a particular number of pounds needed to lose to make sure your liver is shrunk?

Hi all

I had my pre-op appt yesterday went pretty well. I start my liquid diet on the 2nd of Jan. My surgery date is Jan 14th:smile: As everyone has posted I am excited and nervous. I keep waking up in the middle of the night and start to panic. I have told just a few friends and while they are supportive I kind of feel like they think this is extreme. I just get that vibe. Anyone else feel that way?

I am having it done by Dr. Feilding in NYC. Anyone else out there with him and a Jan date?

Good luck to everyone. We are going to have a great 2010

J:thumbup:

Hey JGF . . . sounds like our pre-op diet and band date are about the same. . . mine in Jan. 12 and my doctor says 7-10 days on Slimfast or Carnation Slender by having one within an hour of waking up, then every three hours until the 1000-1200 calorie limit is reached . . . hope to keep it around 1000 cal. Until I start liquid, I'm doing low calorie.

Yes, all my friends (exc. one) and my sister thinks I'm going to the extreme . . . but so be it, I'm ready for a change from being miserable and I know I cannot do it alone....(been there, done that way too many times to count...as most of us here have done). Anyhow, support on this site is really important to me, so I'll be following everyone's journey. :)

Well, today is day 6 of the liquid diet. I weighed myself this morning and I didn't lose weight, but I didn't gain from my little cheat either. So today is a new day. I am feeling strong and am determined to get through the next five days.

But I do have some more questions. I have seen people losing a lot of weight on their pre-op diet. Is it all Water weight and is there a particular number of pounds needed to lose to make sure your liver is shrunk?

The Doc put me on a low carb diet at our first meeting a month and a half ago. Then a week ago he put me on an even stricter diet and in 2 days I will be on clear liquids. I have lost 13 pounds so far. I don't believe it is water weight. I do fluctuate about 1-2 pounds a day and that is the water. My Doc told me if my weight keeps going down my liver is shrinking. If it goes up he will postpone the surgery because that means my liver is storing fat. The first couple weeks I didn't lose because I was struggling with cravings. Now I really don't have them and the weight is coming off.

Every Doc is differnt in their pre op requirements. This is just what mine has been teaching me.

If you feel the need to eat something solid, try 3 oz of lean meat in place of the Protein drink. You can also nibble non-starchy vegetables. Try to stay away from bread, Pasta, and rice.

I hope this helps. :tongue2:

Everyone Please remember to follow your OWN pre-op diet that YOUR doctor gave you. There is a reason for it. If you have any questions about it or are having trouble following it give your doctor or nutritionist a call and they make the changes that you need. What works for one person may not work for another. It would be a shame to get this close to surgery only to make the wrong choice. It's better to be safe than sorry. You doctor/nutritionist is there to help you!:)

Any suggestions on Protein Shakes? Since I'm going to be mainly running on shakes for 2 weeks, I want the best ones. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Any suggestions on Protein shakes? Since I'm going to be mainly running on shakes for 2 weeks, I want the best ones. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I don't know what your diet is like but I have to have close to 4 shakes a day with at least 20 gr. Protein each and no more than 250 calories. I did find some shakes that had more protein then 20 grams of protein and my nutritionist said those were fine to drink as long as I got 70-80 grams of protein in a day but my shakes also have to be very low in carbs and sugars and these are. Here is what I have found that I personally like.

RTD 51- (51 gr.protein) and they come in chocolate, vanilla, and Peanut Butter Cup

Oh Yeah!- (32 gr.protein) I really like the strawberry

Muscle Milk- (21 gr.protein) The vanilla Creme is my favorite and I just got the Cookies and cream but haven't tried it yet....

Pure Protein- (35 gr.protein) Besides the regular chocolate, vanilla and strawberry they also have banana creme and Cookies and cream.

I also like the EAS 100% whey powder that you add with Milk.

I buy flavored egg white powder at Whole Foodst and I add that to my SF Carnation Instant Breakfast and Milk.

I am trying to mix things up so I don't get so sick of one thing since I have to be on the liquid diet for so long.

Good Luck!

Any suggestions on Protein shakes? Since I'm going to be mainly running on shakes for 2 weeks, I want the best ones. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

I started my pre-op diet today and since I am off from work till the new year, it was not easy. I a taking 3 shakes a day of Meditrim - available is chocolate and Vanilla. Not bad to taste - very filling!

HEY JANUARY BANDSTERS!!! well i am a december bandster and i just wanted to wish you all the best of luck.. i am two days post op and only woke up from surgery thinking what the hell did i just do.. i dont regret it now.. and i dont feel like i will regret it later at all either.. just remember follow the rules.. the shoulder/collarbone pains are just gas, and WALK WALK WALK.. it will relieve alot of the pressure!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you so much for your encouragement - it certainly helps calm some of my nervees. I started my pre-op diet today and will be banded on Jan 13.

Thanks again!