Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Band Drama (still portless)

I'm overcoming a bad weekend where I most likely overate and caused some serious discomfort. Lots of people have called or written asking what's up. Thanks, by the way :)

In a nutshell, I've decided to attack my situation in Las Vegas! I don't want to go to Mexico, I don't want to go to California (mind you Dr. Billy is a great surgeon, but he's not in Vegas.)

Today I called both local band docs, and was turned away by the staff because I was banded in Mexico. I demanded they discuss my EMERGENCY with the doctors. Teng's office called me back and told me to go to my primary doc. Fisher hasn't called me back yet. Remember, I ran into Fisher at the pharmacy (small world thing) and he told me to my face that he WILL see emergencies from Dr. Lopez. I told the staff that I'm making an announcement to the world:

If I have stomach fluids leaking that can potentially kill me, and if I die as a result of my band, then the whole world will know that Teng and/or Fisher didn't care enough to look at me because money is more important than human life.

I next made an appointment with my primary doctor for next week, who will refer me to a gastroenterologist, who will hopefully refer me for an endo. I will urge them that leaks can kill me. But, it's useless for any old gastro to do the endo since only a Band surgeon knows how to find erosion. Billy told me that regular gastro doctors overlook erosion all the time, which brings me to the problem with Teng. Teng's staff said Teng refers his problem patients out to get the scope from a local lab. That means even Teng's patients can have erosion, but if Desert Radiologists, for example, don't know how to look for erosion, then they might bypass it.

So for now, I am feeling better. I learned that not all "slips" are really slips. Sometimes just a small portion of the stomach can come up through the band, and by staying on liquids for a few days, things could fall back in place. I learned deep-fried cheesesticks dipped in Marinara sauce can cause blockage, as can other foods. But Sandy (from Ortiz's office) talked to me, and she specifically mentioned a bad time she had with mozzerella sticks, which happens to be exactly what I ate, and she described my exact symptoms.

So for now, I'm nowhere. Sandy also agreed that infected ports can often lead to erosion, but she said there's always a chance it won't. So I have to fight for an endoscopy. If I get scheduled, I will talk extensively with the technician before going under and explain that erosion can look like the smallest dot. Dr. Teng's staff said any doctor that scopes me can call Teng for a consult.

So, let's see where this takes me. I'll make a deal. If I have a clean band on May 5, 2006, then I'll let you all chip in for my new port (ducks from flying shoes.)

I love you guys - thanks for always being here, each and every one of yoons.

Sending you all the positive energy I can muster. Stay Tough!

(and if you have any serious issues, by all the gods you should send an editorial to the news on Heartless Healthcare and the Fear of Liability Law Suits...)

Hugs!

God love ya', DeLarla! I admire your tenacity and ability to take the health care system on! If there were more medical consumers like yourself, I guarantee you, things would be different.

Now I'm spooked. I had an endo Friday and specifically asked the Dr. -- not a band surgeon -- to look for erosion. He did tell me in our original consult that he was familiar with the band. He said it didn't erode...and now I'm wondering?!

I'm going to have the gastroenterologist send his report and any images to my band doctor...and take it from there. My gut, based on what I've been told, is that I've had another slip. Or, it could be I'm just one of those few band patients who acquires reflux so severe as a result of the band that the band has to be removed. That would be a drag...so here's hoping for the best...for both of us!

I don't want to go to Mexico,

I know you do not want to go to Mexico, but if for some reason you get no where with the U.S. docs and you stil lwant answers I'm going down to TJ on OCt 31st for an endo with Ortiz, you can join me if you'd like, we can both get our endos done together and hold eachothers hands :)

Billy told me that regular gastro doctors overlook erosion all the time,

Exactly the reason I'm going to TJ and pay the 250...Sure I can have it done here and my insurance will pay for it but if they do not know what they are looking for, whether it be erosion or some other band problem..then what is the point. I had an endo done in April and Ortiz was adament I see him in 6 months to do another for comparison which is hwy I'm going on the 31st.

I wish you the best and I truly hope you get some answers and one of those U.S. docs will help you out. You have endured enough all ready!

I already wrote the news, but they didn't respond. It's like everyone is afraid to take on "the system."

Dr. Billy told Penni and I that erosion can look like the tiniest speck that any regular gastro would look right past, and that regular gastro docs overlook erosion all the time. We have to be walking Band Surgeons and learn to read our own scopes n' such!

Michelle, I would go with you in a heartbeat, but it would be a waste of my time and money. Dr. Ortiz would do an endo for $250, plus a couple hundred for traveling. But I don't have $5,000 for band removal surgery. If Ortiz found erosion, he'd remove the band. No sense traveling ANYWHERE just to find out I'm eroded.

I've been thinking though. Since I'm an alien, and all the weird crap always happens to me, then maybe I'll be the freak that had the 8-month infection that never got erosion. Stranger things have happened!

hey lisa,

what about getting the endo in vegas, and sending the films to billy or whoever to review. the films are yours. you can request they be sent to any dr. all you have to do provide written notice that you want them transferred and the dr's address that you want them sent to.

michelle

This is such a hard row to hoe. I am sorry that you are going through all of this, sorry it's so hard financially.

What a miserable deal.

Sorry to hear of your ongoing health issues and the jerks in Vegas that won't take you on.

HUGS to you.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BIG BIG HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You are such a strong lady! I KNOW everything will work out for you!!

Praying for you!

Love ya gal!!

Shelley J has an excellent point. You can have anybody take your pictures, and you do get to decide who reads them. I'd give Dr.Billy a call and ask him if he'd mind having a look. It could be that your pics will be on a computer and he can access them right after they are completed. All of our radiology films are on computer now and we live in the sticks, Surely Vegas and CA are using the latest techno. Good Luck. No one deserves a break and good outcome more than you!

Sending good vibes to you and your band and I have a feeling you just overdid it and it will all settle back in. It just will. Cuz I said so.

Hang tough, girl.

**Lisa,**

I'm sorry to hear that all this is happening to you. I wish you strength, love and hope. Please do get the xrays done and have them looked at by a bariatric doctor, don't take no chances.

I don't quite understand why some Dr's in the U.S. have issues with helping patients that were banded in Mexico. They are still going to make money off your visits, if it's a money thing. But really.. Lisa... you made a great point. What if you did have a leak? How can a practice turn you down in a situation like that? I know you can go to the emergency room,but it's just the point.

Good luck with what ever you plan on doing. Lets pray that you have no erosion and that everything will be okay. Do your best to stay positive.

*JUST A BIT OF INFO.* It is not my intention to change the focus of this thread, so please don't take it this way. I just wanted to elaborate on something that was brought up and to add info. that may be helpful.

I have a intrathecal pump port in my belly for back pain & So I know what you're talking about when it comes to the radiologists not finding things that they are not familiar with. My Dr. said it's a sad thing, but it's very important that I see what a defect is, just in case he isn't around & something happens to me. I need to be informed about my situation because a lot of Dr.'s have no idea what this pump is or does. My Dr. was in Greece & I had severe leakage from my incision, I went to the ER, the Dr's were setting me up for emergency surgery to have the port & lead to my back taken out. They told me that the drug in my port was leaking into my system & I could die. (This is what radiology reports had shown them) Thank God my Dr. checked in before all this started because come to find out.. the leakage was just saline. The funny thing is, the port only holds 4cc's of Fluid & the amount of saline coming out was so bad that my pants were soaked in ten minutes after a dressing change, thus it could not be the drug. The ER Dr's should have ruled it out. On top of that the Dr. should have known that if the dose of dilaudid that I'm on was coming out that fast in my body, I wouldn't even be able to breathe, I'd be dead in minutes (the port has an alarm you can hear if something is wrong). At this point I was scared to death & I found all that I could pertaining to my pump & researched it. Sorry this is long winded, what I'm trying to get at is that we should know what a defect or erosion looks like so we can recognize what could be wrong, or to educate a Dr. or radiologist who has no idea what to look for as far as erosion in our particuliar situations. Maybe they'd call for another opinion. In my case.. I could have been on the operating table due to a Dr. not having the knowledge about my pump. Next time you're at your band Dr. ask if they have a picure of what erosion, slipped or defected bands look like,on xray, it could help you out somewhere down the line. I meet with the surgeon doing my band on the 2nd of Nov. and I plan on asking him. From what I learned already, he does have pictures.

I have to jump through endless hoops to see if I can get the endo first, and I plan to have Billy read it (or ask him.) I have a gastro, but NATURALLY my referral expired. So back to my primary I go. Will he just fax an updated referral? Nooooooo. Does he have an appointment this week? HA HA. So I'll wait till next week, sit in his waiting room 2 hours, then he'll spend 27 seconds in my room scribbling a renewal for my Gastro. Then I'll have to make the gastro appointment. My worst favorite five words are, "Spell your last name again." I swear, they act like Bonekovic is the most confusing name on the planet. I feel like getting back at society by hyphenating my maiden name and talking even faster: "I SAID, Kotwica-Bonekovic, did you get that?"

I finally figured out an easier solution though. I'm getting my Master's, then I'm going to Medical School for half a decade, then I'll do a 2 year internship, then I'll go back to medical school for 2 more years of specialty bariatrics, then I'll go to Baja for Band training. In 15 more years I can take care of my own band. Sounds easier, no?