Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today marks one week banded. The comfort I received from food is gone. I know "find something else that comforts you"... Frankly, if I could do that, I would have done that before! Being aware of this and simultaneously being disgusted with myself I made the "Lap decision".

Now, its like pure depression. I feel lathargic, malnutritioned, and like a head case.

Of course, I feel lighter... havent weighed... really dont wanna be upset if the number isnt consistent with the level of discomfort ive put myself through.

I get these waves of indigestion-type pain every so often.. but often. I cant burp like I used to, terrible loooooong gassy farts - I actually crapped on myself - all broth.< /span>

Im nervous that im gonna have to vomit, or mess something up inside by coughing, stretching or pushing. Can I take pills? Vitamins? THe Heartburn! The Hunger pains (pangs wtfever)...

I miss my buddy, food. I know that no food tastes, as good as skinny feels, but it has always been there for me.

I really hope that once this weight comes off, this new life doesnt dissapoint again. Something had to happen to make me turn to food. What will I turn to next?

I feel for you, tommorrow is my one week of being banded. I am miserable also. My body feels fine but not my mind. I need food! I am miserable. You are not the only one! Stay stong, you can do this and so can I. But I can relate and I am very very weak. :thumbup:

What you are feeling is completely.......NORMAL for this stage.

Hang in there, once you can start eating mushies you will feel better. Everything you described is typical.

Yes, you can take pills. You probably don't have any restriction yet and wont until you start getting fills. Be sure to cut your larger pills in half before taking them just to avoid any stuck issues.

It is very important that you follow your surgeon's post-op instructions. Eating solids too soon can cause you problems later.

I recommend you find a good therapist that specializes in eating disorders to help you along the way.

Take care,

Donna

In prep for the surgery I remember My Psych, "said you might miss food" I thought so funny. Now after surgery I know what she ment as you are experienceing also. I am 6 days out from being banded. The first few days were extreme.,teaspoons instead of a knife ,changeing EVERYTHING we've known about eating,we've come a along way.Soon the gas will leave you,I found that the worst,Gasxstrips that had me wanting to vomit. Be assured that things will gradually improve. I call my nurse monday and said I am to weak I feel really bad she had a suggestion that I was not getting enough nutrients.She suggested I eat every two hours small amouts like 2-3 tablespoons add something like creamy instant potatoes or creamy grits to help me. I was sooooooooooo glad I called her I was sticking too long to the clear liquid diet. This morning I had some low fat/SF yougart,3 hrs later I had 3tablespoon full of scrambled egg it felt like thanksgiving. Call your Nurse tell her how you are doing they will help you

Keep in mind that different surgeon's have different post-op instructions. It is NEVER a good idea to start eating too soon.

I was on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks before I was able to move on to full liquids for the next week. I wasn't allowed yogurt, mashed potatoes or anything with any consistency until week 3.

It isn't easy but we all go through it. You will survive!

I have been banded for almost a month and am down 29 pounds. No fill yet so no restriction. I really am finding myself not thinking about food alot as time goes along. Haven't really found a hobby, just came to accept that the food I eat is to keep me alive and enjoyment of eating will come at a later time. Not sure that is the right way to look at it but I am 30 days in and 1/3 of my way to my goal. I also have to deal with hunger that I have not in the past. Before when I was hungry I ate. Now I wait for 3 hours regardless. Hopefully I will not be hungry as much once the fills start but I am getting used to it.

Greg

This will be the hardest couple of months probably of your life. If you anticipate that and expect it, this will be much better for your mentally!

That said, I can tell you that my entire palatte changed 1 month after surgery. The things I couldn't live without, I had absolutely NO craving for! Things I never liked, I craved. Your tastes and hunger will change for the better. But this time is HARD no easy way around it!

I would HIGHLY suggest you don't get on the scale for at LEAST a MONTH!! Your body is healing from surgery and swollen. Even though you may feel (and actually BE) smaller, chances are the scale will NOT help you! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE resist the temptation of the scale for at least a month (2 if you can), it will make a HUGE difference for you!

Hang in there, we've all been or will be where you are and we survived..YOU WILL TOO!!

Hey city!

What you are feeling is very classic. You’re a baby bandster and of course as with all babies you’ll need time to grow.

Stay on course. Your diet is for healing above anything else. Losing is a great component, but that’s all it is. A sidekick. Not exactly the main character here. The better care you take of your band, the better chance of success and long term banding.

Please note: I was never given the go ahead to take solid pills right after banding. In fact I was told the opposite. I was told all liquids, including medication, and if it had to be in pill format I was to use a pill crusher. Consult your doctor before taking whole or even cut pills. This might cause some serious problems.

Best wishes to you and your new band, and congratulations on a healthier you! J

Hey city!

What you are feeling is very classic. You’re a baby bandster and of course as with all babies you’ll need time to grow.

Stay on course. Your diet is for healing above anything else. Losing is a great component, but that’s all it is. A sidekick. Not exactly the main character here. The better care you take of your band, the better chance of success and long term banding.

Please note: I was never given the go ahead to take solid pills right after banding. In fact I was told the opposite. I was told all liquids, including medication, and if it had to be in pill format I was to use a pill crusher. Consult your doctor before taking whole or even cut pills. This might cause some serious problems.

Best wishes to you and your new band, and congratulations on a healthier you! J

A prime example of different rules from a different surgeon. I was able to swallow my pills after 1 week. Only had to crush them for the first week.

It is always best to follow your own surgeon's instructions.

Oh, and I never did congratulate you on taking control of your health.

Have a great day!:thumbup:

I read the book below that I ordered from Amazon. It explains the divorce with food and ill-feelings that can come by it. And unlike an alocoholic and may be able to stop drinking and abstain, we cannot actually abstain from food itself. It's hard....

Best of luck to you.

Lost and Found: A Guide To The LAP-BAND Journey (Paperback)

by Dr. Nirmal Jayaseelan (Author), Cynthia Jones O'Kelly (Author)

4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)

That book sounds very interesting, thanks vlo.

You seem to have head hunger. You most likely are not hungry a week after being banded. You may need to seek therapy for your head hunger as it sounds like you are having a hard time. If food was your 'best friend' she/he certainly is a bitch and came around and slapped you in the face to get you in the position you are in.

Try and be positive and realize and keep thinking it is only food. Nothing tastes as good as getting thinner feels and it is so true. You will get to the point where food doesn't really consume your days. You will be obsessed with exercise or something else. Once you start to see the pounds falling off. No one said it was easy, it is a long process. Good luck.

this thread is very helpful for me today! Is't my 5th day out and I woke up sad and missing food big time thanks everyone!

This is really insightful..as I prepare to go done the path you have travelled.

I just read a post Gen's blog that speaks to the point of carb deprivation and serotonin levels when we don't have carbs in our diet..

http://ihearttheband.blogspot.com/

Check it out, I found it very interesting and very relevant to what has been openly and honestly shared in your posts.

Be well everyone.. we will all be successful and look back on these days and share your successes.

I can not tell you how helpful all of you have been! Thank you so much for your honest replies!!

Knowing that this is normal, helps. Knowing that people have overcome it really helps! I WILL get through this.

I think I will stay away from the scale for awhile longer... I did want to document the journey though.. ah i dont know, COlorado...

Thank you for the book recommendation, VLO!

So I got my band from Top Surgeons, my surgeon doesnt have a direct nurse.. and whenever I call i get a different answer! its very confusing so this helps me tremendously.

Good Luck all!