Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd really like to hear from other diabetics who've had the LBS.

How long have you had your Lap Band?

Were you taking insulin prior to the Lap Band and are you now?

If you aren't, how long did it take to see enough of a change in your readings that you were able to discontinue the insulin?

I am type one for the last 35 years. I am three weeks post op. I am already taking less than half of the insulin I was. I don't expect to ever be completely off of insulin but it really helps to eat mostly Protein and very little carbs. I am committed to that for the rest of my life. I am healthier than I have ever been because I have done the low carb thing for the last 10 years. I plan to do it for the rest of my life. As for insulin? Who knows we will have to wait and see. So far I am down 14 lbs.... Best of luck!!!!

I don't expect to ever be completely off of insulin but it really helps to eat mostly Protein and very little carbs.!!

You may be surprised, Jo! When I was on Atkins, my BS readings were below 100. I'm Type 2 and my doc believes that if I get the weight off, my blood sugar readings will return to a normal level since the fat is making me insulin resistant.

Yes as a type 2 you are very likely to get off of medication. Good for you getting banded!!! Any weight loss for us is a good thing. I am excited to see what happens also....

Oh duh...I read that you were type 2. Now I see you're type 1. First the eyes go...then the brain cells. ;-p

Hi I was banded on Sept 24/09 so i'm a little over 3 weeks out and i'm type 2 diabetic. I was on a slow release insulin before surgery and i've lost a total of 22lbs and i'm completely off all my diabetic medications as of 6 days ago. My blood sugar readings both AC & PC are all within normal ranges. I eat mostly Protein and little carbs!

Hope this helps

Awesome you are doing the right thing. It is amazing to me how much difference even a few pounds makes. Keep up the good work!!!

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 1 year and 1/2 ago. I was put on a low dose of Glipizide (2.5 mg). Since banding I am off the Glipizide and my Dr. feels that my AC1 levels will be normal as the pounds come off.

The diabetes diagnosis left me reeling and really pushed me to get the band. I'm so glad I did.

I am type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 7 years ago. For the first several years, I managed with diet and exercise. Roughly two years ago, I started on meds. Pre-surgery, I was taking 1000 mg metformin twice a day; 45 mg Actos. My BS would be acceptable during the day, but I never could get my fasting BS under control, even when eating NO starchy carbs, and let me tell you, that gets old. My doctor wanted me to add Byetta.... but, it is $230 monthly because my insurance wont cover diabetic meds until 2010 (damn pre-existing conditions!) so I did without the Byetta.

Going back a bit, my grandmother died of diabetes 7 years ago. It was painful. My dad can't forget it, and it KILLS him that I have it now. So, he and my mom approached me about the Lapband, and even paid for it.

I was banded on October 5. Monday and Tuesday, my BS was high, which is to be expected. Tuesday evening though, it was clear down, less than 120 so I didnt take my meds that night.

So surgery was a week ago yesterday, and I have not had meds since. My fasting numbers are great, after meals are great -- I have lost about 25 pounds. It is a fabulous feeling!!

I will wait until December for my next HA1C...I can't wait to see the numbers. Who knows...maybe I will put lab results in an envelope in an envelope and give it to my Dad for Christmas. :thumbup:

I am type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 7 years ago. For the first several years, I managed with diet and exercise. Roughly two years ago, I started on meds. Pre-surgery, I was taking 1000 mg metformin twice a day; 45 mg Actos. My BS would be acceptable during the day, but I never could get my fasting BS under control, even when eating NO starchy carbs, and let me tell you, that gets old. My doctor wanted me to add Byetta.... but, it is $230 monthly because my insurance wont cover diabetic meds until 2010 (damn pre-existing conditions!) so I did without the Byetta.

Going back a bit, my grandmother died of diabetes 7 years ago. It was painful. My dad can't forget it, and it KILLS him that I have it now. So, he and my mom approached me about the LAP-BAND®, and even paid for it.

I was banded on October 5. Monday and Tuesday, my BS was high, which is to be expected. Tuesday evening though, it was clear down, less than 120 so I didnt take my meds that night.

So surgery was a week ago yesterday, and I have not had meds since. My fasting numbers are great, after meals are great -- I have lost about 25 pounds. It is a fabulous feeling!!

I will wait until December for my next HA1C...I can't wait to see the numbers. Who knows...maybe I will put lab results in an envelope in an envelope and give it to my Dad for Christmas. :thumbup:

It is truly amazing what our bodies can do when we quit overfeeding them!!!

Hey, JoJo

I am type 1 diabetic and want to be banded. Like you, I will be on insulin forever, but I look forward to using less of it. Has it taken you longer to lose? Was post op difficult with your blood sugars? I'm worried I'll get low, and not be able to ingest enough sugar fast enough to get it back to normal. Any advise?

renebeau

Hey, JoJo

I am type 1 diabetic and want to be banded. Like you, I will be on insulin forever, but I look forward to using less of it. Has it taken you longer to lose? Was post op difficult with your blood sugars? I'm worried I'll get low, and not be able to ingest enough sugar fast enough to get it back to normal. Any advise?

renebeau

I worried about the same things. The first thing I did was buy liquid glucose from the pharmacy. There is a liquid and a Gel. I discovered that both of them act faster than glucose tablets anyway. A lot faster.

My Lap Band doctor was very knowledgeable about diabetes and instructed me to cut my insulin in half. I did that and had no trouble. He also told me not to take any on the morning of the surgery. I worried about that and I was 288 by the end of the day. I spent a little time being upset over this, but it turned out to be fine. I just adjusted it and did not have any trouble with lows at all. My insulin requirements have remained at half or less since the surgery. I have had no trouble losing. I started walking the day after the surgery and am now up to 2 miles a day with one of those miles being up hill. It is a good work out. I do low carb and have for the last 10 years anyway. I managed to do it with the liquid stage also. Maybe that is why I did not have trouble losing weight. Also I am 58 years old. I wish you the best and would be happy to help you with anything along the way....

I was Type 2. Banded on 2/10/09. My doctor had me discontinue my Glucophage, Avandia and Amaryl starting the day of surgery. My A1c levels are presently 7.0. I still want to lose albout 55 pounds and my numbers are still going to improve but at 7.0, my doc says he will not medicate me as I am still losing because my A1c will continue to drop.

Frankly, that's why I did this in the first place. Avandia is a "black box" drug (potential for cardiac complications is high with this drug) but it was what made the difference between control and no so good. My doc promised me I could come off it immediately, so I didn't look back, LOL.

I was banded 9/21/09, and my side effects have disappeared! No more excruciating thirst, peeing every hour, and getting up in the middle of the night to pee. No more afternoon naps because I was so exhausted!

I am only 3+ weeks out, and already feel normal again. I dont test every day, just get A1C's.

And, I have stopped taking my meds (Glucovance 2.5/500) and my Dr is ok with that. I just cant wait to go in and get my A1C done again!

Awesome You guys are awesome!! Keep up the good work. Some of these threads are a little depressing but I love this one because all of you are so positive!!!