Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a problem -- bummed.

Update -- went back yesterday to have a refill, 3 1/2 weeks after having my unfill. I only wanted .25 cc's, but after the surgeon heard my story about eating 2 grilled cheese sandwiches and a big bowl of grapes, he was shocked! And, I only lost 1 lb. in 24 days, which has not been my pattern. So, he felt I should go up .4 cc's. I'm now at 7.15 in a 10 cc band. So far so good, but I'm only on liquids and soft foods. :(

That whole experience with getting stuck and being too tight, then going for the unfill, then waiting to go for the refill was a setback that I didn't expect. And all due to some scrambled eggs, of all things! So, word to the wise: Be careful! Take small bites, go slowly, and chew, chew, chew. (I need to remind myself every time.) :scared2:

Even 5 months in, I'm still having to constantly remind myself to slow down, take smaller bites, and 'Chew, Chew, Chew'!!! I just went for my checkup, and decided not to get a fill. I'm at 6.5 in a 10cc band, and feel that I'm at my 'sweet spot' for now. I tend to push my limits now and then and pay for it by getting stuck/pb'ing. I feel adequate restriction - especially in the mornings - and I gurgle (loudly) a lot with every meal (embarassing when I eat with or near anyone at work!) It's odd, but at some meals I can eat way more than I think I should be able to, and other meals - just a few small bites and I'm done! I can tolerate something one day (i.e. chicken salad or deli meats) and have problems with it the next day. So getting this 'tool' and my head all dialed in is a challenge, but overall I am so excited and grateful that I was able to get the lapband, and I know I'm going to succeed with it over time. I'm thinking at my next appointment in 6 weeks I may get a small fill (.25) - we'll see. My weight loss has slowed, but I can directly relate it to my eating and exercise habits. I have to remind myself this isn't 'Biggest Loser' extreme weight loss - this is my life plan to beat obesity for good, and it won't happen overnight! Slow and steady wins the race :thumbup:

So I went in on Friday last week and had my port replaced. Sg was pretty easy, was in and out in an hour and on my way home. There was definately a leak, they said it was somewhat like a sprinkler when they put pressure on it... But, when they pulled the port out evidently all the Fluid did not drain out as it usually does... then the doctor refilled me, and I went on my way, got home and started throwing up, thought it was the anesthesia, took me a while to figure out that every time I had enough saliva to fill my pouch, up it came, roughly every 12-15 minutes... I could not take pain pills, could not eat or drink anything, this went on all night Friday and in to Saturday... I met the doctors pa at the office at 8 Saturday am and she did not want to press on me too much because I had a new incision. So she took out 2 cc and gave me Water, nope up it came, took out 3 more before I could swallow. We dont know how much is in there still, but now I have very little if any restriction, I go back Friday for follow up and they will measure to see exactly how much fluid is in there and start filling me again. So I have 5 mos of odd setbacks, I am still down a bit over 40 lbs but have been stalled for a couple mos now. I am beginning to get very discouraged, but hope this fixes everything once and for all.

Oh, you poor thing! I've been thinking about you all week, wondering how you have been. Keep your chin up, sweetie. :smile:The swelling should go down soon, and you can get a fill again. It's not fun to have setbacks, I know. My goodness, a sprinkler? Do you think the person who gave you the fills was poking the tubing? Yikes.

Hang in there, and keep thinking of the 40+ lbs. you've already lost. You're on your way! And once this swelling goes down and you get your fill, you will be speeding right along! :scared2::drool:

So I went in on Friday last week and had my port replaced. Sg was pretty easy, was in and out in an hour and on my way home. There was definately a leak, they said it was somewhat like a sprinkler when they put pressure on it... But, when they pulled the port out evidently all the Fluid did not drain out as it usually does... then the doctor refilled me, and I went on my way, got home and started throwing up, thought it was the anesthesia, took me a while to figure out that every time I had enough saliva to fill my pouch, up it came, roughly every 12-15 minutes... I could not take pain pills, could not eat or drink anything, this went on all night Friday and in to Saturday... I met the doctors pa at the office at 8 Saturday am and she did not want to press on me too much because I had a new incision. So she took out 2 cc and gave me Water, nope up it came, took out 3 more before I could swallow. We dont know how much is in there still, but now I have very little if any restriction, I go back Friday for follow up and they will measure to see exactly how much Fluid is in there and start filling me again. So I have 5 mos of odd setbacks, I am still down a bit over 40 lbs but have been stalled for a couple mos now. I am beginning to get very discouraged, but hope this fixes everything once and for all.

Hang in there...........I also had my port replaced. It was done on 10/26/09. This past Monday the Dc tried to add some fluid to get me back to my sweet spot. Made me too tight. Throwing up just to have Soup.....not pretty. Went back yesterday and .6 was removed. Net affect was to add .4cc. Total 5.4cc. My new port is smaller and required less fluid to achieve the same result as the old port.

I hope you're able to get good restriction on Friday when you get the fill.:drool:

Hi Ann!

I am going through that very same thing right now! Waking up at night...mad dash to the bathroom with acid coming up about every hour through the night. As you said, SRY TMI....

I had a .5 unfill and to let my pouch rest and will be getting it put back in Feb. 2nd. Did you gain any weight back when you got your unfill? I am soooo worried about that. I really didn't want the unfill but know it was needed. Hope all is going well for you now!

I didn't gain any weight back with my first unfill, but with my second unfill (obviously didn't learn my lesson :thumbup:) I gained one pound. Don't worry about gaining. The more important thing is to worry about the inflammation going down and your stomach getting back to normal.

Hope you're feeling better soon! :thumbup: That reflux is no fun.

I really love this place. Whenever I have a problem with my band, (OR ME) I log in, and there's someone else going through the same situation.

I was feeling a little bummed that my Doc can only put in .25 cc's in at a time, and the weight comes off slow (my body is just sensitive, and swells up if he puts in more than that at a time). So, when I was so swollen from sliming for two days, I reluctantly called for an un-fill. I had been so filled, that I was eating high fat Soups and coffees and such, not the healthy stuff. I wasn't losing, but I thought I was at my sweet spot. I see here that just taking out .25 cc's was enough to allow me to eat healthy food, and I've lost 8 lbs.

After reading this post, I asked my Dr about the possibility of acid reflux, even if I don't have heartburn. He put me on some meds, and we have not been having the unpredictable tightness/unfill situation. Yay!

Now, I am ready again. I think I can, I think I can!

Thanks guys!

LoriLeeAnne, congratulations on losing 8 lbs -- that's great! :) My doctor is very conservative about fills, also. I don't believe I've ever gotten more than .25 ccs at one time, except maybe my very first fill. Considering I've had to be unfilled twice, I think that's a good idea.

Keep up the good work! :lol:

After all this snow we've had, I finally got in to the doctor's office for a fill today. Then I had to convince them that I was truly hungry and eating too much, and that I wasn't just wanting a fill only to try to lose more, faster. *sigh* Ugh! The doctor agreed, but only put in .1 cc because .2 made me burp when I drank Water. *sigh* I hope this helps. I hate being hungry!

I now have 7.4 cc in a 10 cc band.

This whole journey has been so hard :biggrin:.... but oh, so worth it! :thumbup:

Hope everyone is doing well!