Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 9/24, some questions about the pain and eating

My port incision hurts insanely a lot, to the point where I can't sit for more than 2 or 3 mins and I have to hold it if I'm walking around. I found that if I wrap my stomach, it helps a little, but should I be doing that? Is there anything to be done for the pain? I can feel my stitches pulling in the other cuts.

When you guys were immediately post-op, how long would it take you to drink a glass of Water or any of the other liquids? I had 1/3 cup yogurt, watered down because I was so hungry this morning and now am worried that I shouldn't be eating yogurt so soon.

My port incision hurt the most and I had signifigant discomfort for probably 2 or 2.5 weeks (maybe longer? Cant remember now) after surgery. Sometimes I held a pillow over my tummy when I was lying down. You should try reclining instead of sitting up right. I think reclining helps.

When I was post op, for the first 2 days I was drinking about an ounce of Water every hour. I had a few spoons of clear broth Soup too. I did Clear Liquids (so Water, clear broth, crystal light, etc) for 3 days. Then I did full liquids for 2 weeks (Protein shakes, thicker Soups sometimes, slim fast...kind of like the pre-op diet). I don't think I had yogurt during that time. After that I did mushies, which is when I think I incorporated thicker things like yogurt in. Then soft solids and solids after that. But its really different from doctor to doctor. Did your doctor say you could have yogurt at this point post op? If he didn't, I would just REALLY stick to what he said. You are giving your stomach time to heal. You don't want it to start churning (which is what happens when you eat, even a little) because it could cause the band to slip. Good luck!

I also was banded on the 9/24 and understand your pain. Yes it does help to press, but I didn't wrap myself because I didn't want any complications to arise from too much pressure. Today is the first day that I actually don't feel so much pain. It's still there, but a lot easier to move around. I heard it should be better by 10 days. Hopefully, this is true. Also, I wasn't given yogurt on my list until my second week and then it's yogurt shakes. They say it's too thick and could stretch your new stomach. I also feel hungry, but drink my Protein Shakes, eat sugar free popsicles and Jello and drink broth. It's not been easy and I was so hungry last night that I probably could have cheated by eating yogurt. I feel for you but hopefully we only have 3 more days to go till next phase of diet.:smile2:

All the doctor did was give me a sheet that stated I should be on a liquid diet for 20 days and on that it says half a cup of yogurt for lunch amongst Soup and juice and Jello. The Soups are also low fat milk based soups, but no chunks. And that I have to have 6-8 cups of Water during the day, which is so hard to do.

Mostly all he said was I'll learn as time goes by, to chew my food a lot and not to throw up. He may have said more but I was so freaked during the consult that I don't remember, lol. My mom says he also said I should be on mushies for 2 months before attempting regular food.

I knew he didn't give me much direction but wasn't aware until now just how little he did give. Momamia, would you mind sharing what instructions you were given?

Thank you, Violinist, your answer also helped. I appreciate any help I can get.

Hi I too was banded on the 24th. Today my pain is minimal except for the port area, which is still really uncomfortable. I was told it could take 4-6 weeks for that to heal.

The first day I couldn't tolerate anything, I had nausea and was wretching, so I started again on day 2.

Today i tried Jello for the first time and am actually hungry today. I haven't been so today is a little tough. My doctor suggests full liquids till the 2 week post-op appt. If you have any questions regarding your diet, call your nutritionist. That's what they are there for.

good luck. We are in this together! :tongue2:

I had port uncomfiness for a couple weeks after surgery. I definately would not wrap yourself, without consulting with your surgeon's office first. You could cause a bunch more problems for yourself besides the pain with the port incision.

Yogurt less than a week post-op under my surgeon's rules would be a no no. I was on clears for 5 or 6 days, then graduated to fulls (pudding, yogurt, cream soups) for a another week or so, then I got to go to "soft" or as people call it here mushies for 2 or 3 weeks.

Goodluck!

hey sorry about your pain, according to my list yogurt is not on the list til week 5 and beyond, week 1-3 is liquid sugarfree Jello, Protein Shakes 4 oz and hour drink real slow, sugar free icepops too, warm tea is good too,no caffienne though, your pain can't you take tylenol, my incision was thru my belly button a lot of liquid coming out but no blood, only now is my port feel achy, i can actually feel it,after losing 17 lbs i'm on my 5th week doin pretty good with the food and puree, hope you feel better soon, good luck

Yogurt is on my list, as a liquid. As is sugar free pudding. And when I was in the hospital, he mistakenly told the nurse I was a bypass patient (which I am not) and ate both yogurt and cottage cheese in the hospital.

My port bothers me (I was banded 9/21), not pain, mostly uncomfortable. Tomorrow I am going to wear a long line bra (or something that is tight around the tummy area) to help with that. Reclining does help. It DOES get better. I thought I had been hit by a major case of the flu the day after I was released when it turns out it was just the anesthesia. Walk as much as you can, it helps. And make sure to get the liquids in as much as you can, dehydration is BAD.

I am so EXCITED to be on this journey! You will be too, IT DOES GET BETTER.

Hey I was banded also on the 24th and have had severe pain at my biggest incision. I'm not sure where my port is yet, my stomach is still so swollen. Up unitl today I was hating my band but today was the turning point for me. Just started feeling better. As far as my post surgery diet. I'm on pureed for 2 weeks then dvance to softs. I can pretty much eat anything if I chew it up to mush. Havent had much of an appetite though. I'm drinking the Protein whey shots and eating sum tuna daily for my protein requirements. The only time I'm really comfortable is when I'm laying down in my bed. Best of luck to all the bandsters out there. We just got to hang in there!!!

Thank you guys so much for your replies, they've been really helpful. *empathy fistbump* I now count 3 of us that have been banded on the same day, that's kinda awesome, in a painful way. :OP

I figure since it's been a few days after the surgery I can take a sip of Water every couple of minutes, right? And not have to worry about dilating the pouch?

Now that the swelling's going down the port incision isn't bothering me so much anymore, not as much as the port itself is. I can feel it almost all the time. How do y'all go to the bathroom?? Lol, seriously! As for wrapping, I'm not wrapping tightly at all, I just need a little support and my arm was getting tired from pressing my side.

I swear, the only thing I'm "eating" are my antibiotics and ibprofen. I'm going to try to go grocery shopping and get some broth Soups or Soup flavouring to put in my broth. And popsicles!

I was banded on 9/14, and it took me a good 10-12 days before my largest incision area stopped hurting. I didn't wear a real underwire bra until this past weekend. Sports bras help to at least give you some support if you are top heavy. As far as going to the bathroom, I was lucky enough to have a doorway next to the toilet that I could use to pull myself back up. It's amazing how many abdominal muscles we use for everyday activities! I also agree with the poster who said not to sit up completely straight. I put a bunch of pillows behind me on the sofa so I was supported, but still leaning back a little. That helped relieve some of the pressure on the port area. You are still more swollen on the inside than you think you are.

Good luck, and remember, it does get better!