Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Support Group Mtg was Great!

My doctor's office has Support Group Meetings the 2nd Thrusday of every month. So I went to this last one and learned a lot! They had two speakers... One was a lady that had lost 94 lbs. (She looked great! ...and had kept it off for 5 yrs) The other was a lady who had lost 60 lbs and gained 60 back. We spent the entire evening asking them both questions. Why did it work for one and not the other?

Well, the lady that re-gained said that ice cream goes down that hole really easy! She couldn't eat a lot, but what she ate was full of calories! She is now joining Overeaters Anonymus to help her pinpoint the problem that is keeping her from being successful. She is getting back on the 'band' wagon and determined to lose the weight again.

What was interesting, was the first lady said she only did ONE thing to lose the weight and keep it off. She DID NOT cheat, ...ever! Even though they say you can eat wheat bread, she did not. Even though some say you can eat rice, she did not. Even though you CAN eat ice cream, she did not. She simply made the right choices, because she knew if she even cheated one time, she wouldn't be able to back up and she would start craving the bad, just because she knew she could.

People, I want to be just like her! She looked fabulous! So here's to us!!! Hang in there! SUCCESS, here we come!!

Thanks for posting about your support group! There is not one in my area so it is good to hear what all you learned at yours! :tongue2:

T

My doctor's office has Support Group Meetings the 2nd Thrusday of every month. So I went to this last one and learned a lot! They had two speakers... One was a lady that had lost 94 lbs. (She looked great! ...and had kept it off for 5 yrs) The other was a lady who had lost 60 lbs and gained 60 back. We spent the entire evening asking them both questions. Why did it work for one and not the other?

Well, the lady that re-gained said that ice cream goes down that hole really easy! She couldn't eat a lot, but what she ate was full of calories! She is now joining Overeaters Anonymus to help her pinpoint the problem that is keeping her from being successful. She is getting back on the 'band' wagon and determined to lose the weight again.

What was interesting, was the first lady said she only did ONE thing to lose the weight and keep it off. She DID NOT cheat, ...ever! Even though they say you can eat wheat bread, she did not. Even though some say you can eat rice, she did not. Even though you CAN eat ice cream, she did not. She simply made the right choices, because she knew if she even cheated one time, she wouldn't be able to back up and she would start craving the bad, just because she knew she could.

People, I want to be just like her! She looked fabulous! So here's to us!!! Hang in there! SUCCESS, here we come!!

Are you going to continue to go to your support group? They offer one only about 25 miles from home, but I have never went.

hi bdbmamaw

good post!...thanks

who is your doctor?

josie

The group meets about 55 miles from my house, but when you live in the Houston area, that's not far. It was worth every mile, so don't let the 25 stop you if you can go. It was fun actually sitting down face to face with some fellow band'rs. And the really neat thing is, it consisted of patients that have had their bands for years to a woman who only had her for 2 weeks. There were ladies who were single, married, had lots of support from family and friends and then those who had little support. It was really diverse. If you go, let me know how you liked it.

hi bdbmamaw

good post!...thanks

who is your doctor?

josie

My doctor is Dr. Wilkenfeld in The Woodlands. Got my band at the Physicians SurgiCenter near the Medical Center. You?

What was interesting, was the first lady said she only did ONE thing to lose the weight and keep it off. She DID NOT cheat, ...ever! Even though they say you can eat wheat bread, she did not. Even though some say you can eat rice, she did not.

Please note that these can only be considered cheating if you are following a Protein only or low carb diet. In Australia we do not follow the high Protein regime and therefore eating these things is not regarded as cheating. There are lots of people at the support group that I go to that have lost as much or more and they did it following a diet that includes all food groups.So please do not think that you have to exclude these foods to be successful - it is not true.

Please note that these can only be considered cheating if you are following a Protein only or low carb diet. In Australia we do not follow the high Protein regime and therefore eating these things is not regarded as cheating. There are lots of people at the support group that I go to that have lost as much or more and they did it following a diet that includes all food groups.So please do not think that you have to exclude these foods to be successful - it is not true.

Sorry. I need to clarify. Our doctor says 'no' to bread of all types and rice. When I said she did not cheat, I meant she did not go against her doctors advice. Please listen to your doctor and follow his instructions.