Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No One wants to hire me!!! Weight?

Im almost convinced it is because of my weight that no one wants to hire me. I have been to a ton of interviews where i am completely qualified and i have no call backs. I call them and they tell me they have chosen someone else. Now i know the economy is bad for these jobs, but come on, out of like 15 interviews in the past 3 months ive gotton NOTHING?

Just frustruated i guess...i have a great personality and im willing to work hard...and know one wants me!!!

If you can prove that you have the same qualifications, I would sue for discrimation. I know it sounds like a huge process, but I've been waiting for the day someone wouldn't hire me based on weight. This disgusts me. The first few years here I got small raises. Last year I lost 70 pounds and suddenly got a HUGE raise. But I can't say anything because they told me it was based on having more experience after being here several years, which they could prove. I'm making more money now.

Sadly there is no law against obesity prejudice like there is for just about everything else, age, race, religion, etc. I can totally relate, as I have been without work since March. It scares me to death as I live alone, have no rich relatives or friends and my unemployment runs out soon.

I have been so paranoid about the weight issue, that I have even asked people before I went to the interviews if this would be a problem. They always say no, as long as you can do the job, we don't care. Then I get there and there is not one fat person there and they all look at me as if I'm in the wrong place. I have a good education, lots of experience, great references but none of that matters.

So sorry to hear you are having trouble too. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully, someone will recognize how wonderful you are and you'll get a job soon.

Good Luck!

Cindy

Yes it is very hard to see other people and their qualifications, but i know i have a lot of computer experience that these businesses around here need. A lot of the people that have been in these businesses for like 20 years dont have that much "new age" computer experience. I do. I also can bring so much into a company...its a shame no one wants to even give me an opportunity to prove it.

If it is your weight there are no laws on the books in most states about discrimination due to weight. Unless you have your weight noted as a legimitate handicap then if they discriminate it is against the law.

I have been so paranoid about the weight issue, that I have even asked people before I went to the interviews if this would be a problem. They always say no, as long as you can do the job, we don't care. Cindy

If they said yes, they'd be slitting their own throats. You could have a major law suit againt them.

Its sad that so many companies are closed minded. One thing I have to say about the company I work for is that they do not judge. There are ALOT of large people working here. I see many folks that are 400 lbs walking on campus.

KRZY, the company that hires you is going to hit the jackpot when they realize what a good person you really are.

GOOD LUCK !!!

20/20 did a special once where they had two females, both with equal qualifications, who applied for the same job. One was very overweight and the other was slim and attractive. Who got the job EVERY TIME? Just guess... The skinny girl.

That said, I think there's not much we can do about it right now. If you did sue them it'd be damn hard to try to prove that they didn't hire you because of your weight. I think the best defense is a good offense. Go get some interview training. Practice responses to questions, practice getting rid of qualifiers such as "kind of" and "like" in your phrasing. Practice being dynamic, opinionated (yes, opinionated, but not overbearing) and intelligent. If you don't know the answer to something, admit it, but come up with an alternative. Wear attractive attire but don't wear perfume. And one thing we women tend to do is not talk ourselves up enough. Talk yourself up and practice trying not to sound conceded doing it. Get comfortable with it. Is your resume completely error-free and list measurable accomplishments?

You may already know all of this, but it never hurts to give it a brush-up.

u in marketing by chance? =)

i hear ya.. and ive been there.. am there now. I'm hoping this last interview comes through because 80 lbs lighter i know my confidence shows... but i work in marketing/graphics 90% of the jobs im qualified for are jobs that apperance DOES matter.

I take it with a grain of salt and know someday soon it'll work out. life always has a funny way of doing that i just wish it wasnt so slow so i could pay the bills =)

It is a sad statement about our culture . . . However . . .

GOOD FOR YOU for taking weight issues into your own hands and taking the lap band step toward greater health and freedom! Despite how incredibly discouraging the job search is, I hope you'll still feel empowered to use this time for yourself - it is still an opportunity for you to work on healthy lifestyle habits, work hard at the gym, and appreciate the changes that you're making in yourself as confidence and self-esteem boosters. Its hard when you're being rejected . . . but you are being ACCEPTED into a whole new world of health right now, even as we speak, because you stepped out and took control by having this surgery!!! Don't forget about these super important changes! My gosh - look at what you've already done!!!

I just completed a research project on fat discrimination. I've been treated the same way. Of course, in nursing, they don't care if you weigh 1000 pounds, just as long as you'll come to work. However, I know that it will matter when I try to get a job as an attorney. Some states do specifically state that fat discrimination is against the law. California has some laws and Michigan has some too. Other states rely on laws that protect other disabilities with the ADA(Americans with Disabilities Act). I am very passionate about this. I may end up serving as an advocate for our cause. Who knows? Still in school.

oh yeah Im sure it is the weight-people associate overweight with being lazy and slovenly.Just a sad fact of what it is these days-good luck in your process.

I have worked in the restaurant and hotel industry for over 20 years. It is true that, that industry will and does hire on looks. It is encouraged to hire good looking people, that means slim or normal weight or nice figure people. The kind of people people like to look at. I need to loose about 50 pounds to look great again like I did in my early 20's. I have to get the band to stay in the market.

It sucks that we cant look at the inside, and measure a person by his heart and not by their looks.

I have worked in the restaurant and hotel industry for over 20 years. It is true that, that industry will and does hire on looks. It is encouraged to hire good looking people, that means slim or normal weight or nice figure people. The kind of people people like to look at. I need to loose about 50 pounds to look great again like I did in my early 20's. I have to get the band to stay in the market.

It sucks that we cant look at the inside, and measure a person by his or her heart and not by their looks.

I once knew a woman who was overweight (probably about 280# at the time) and yet an extremely succesful outside sales rep in the printing industry. She was always in the million-dollar circle in her sales (that basically means she was earning well over $100,000 per year). Although it was obvious she was smart as a tack and extremely knowlegeable about the business I did wonder how her weight did not get in her way. One time we had a talk and she told me about all the ways she had learned to overcompensate for the discrimination her size brought to the table.

Just a few I remember... one, she ALWAYS had body-contact (warmly shaking hands) with her clients... she also accented her face w/ tasteful, but vivid eyemakeup and earrings & other jewelry and found ways to appear energetic by the clothes colors she wore. Other than just having a lively conversational tone (and laughing alot) she said she did her best to NEVER sit down, even if the client were sitting down. She always brought in something to show them that would neccessitate her standing up to combat the laziness perception. She actually strategically planned for conversations & samples that would be not only useful--but enjoyable--to her clients and they looked forward to her visits because she was fun to be around--as well as full of solutions.

There were probably more things that I can't remember now, but the point was she thought this out and more than overcame the weight discrimination. She said that once she had a client's initial respect her weight could even be an advantage w/ other women in that skinny women didn't find her threatening and heavy women bonded w/ her. She was a perfect example of turning lemons into lemonaid.

Just a few suggeston that I can offer:

(1) Are you going to the interview dressed appropriately? I am sure you are going dressed very nice and very professional but what I mean by appropriate is does it "fit in" with what the others in the company are wearing. You may be surprised at how much that truly matters. An example is if I am interviewing somebody for a sales position where the sales people wear khaki pants and polo shirts and the applicant comes in with a suit and tie it doesn't fit. When the next applicant shows up wearing a nice pair of pants and polo shirt just in appearnace alone they seem to be a better fit. Even though interviewers shouldn't judge on apperance they are human and they do. With that being said I also want to say that you can look nice and be dressed appropraitely at any size. I know that will suprise some of you because you have always been told to dress a certain way for an interview, but in today's world you should dress like the people in the organization with like or similar positions that you are applying for are dressed. There is lots of emphasis being placed on "fit" these days. Make sure you find outfits to interview in that you are comfortable in and make you feel good. If you come in wearing an outfit that you are uncomfortable in it shows, yo may not see it but others do.

(2) After you have been told you didn't get the job call and speak with the person who interviewed you. Aske them some specific questions. You can start by thanking them for their time and considering you for the position of ___ and then tell them that you would like to know if you presented yourself well in the interview. Some will answer your questions and others will not or be very vague but it is worth a try. I get numerous calls from applicants whom I have interviewed and not hired asking questions and I never mind answering them.

(3) Make sure you place your emphasis during the interview on what you can offer them (the company) and not make it about what you will receive. I know that pay and benefits are important to all of us, but I am looking for an applicant to tell me what they have to offer me not ask me what I have to offer them. Generally when a applicant I am interviewing always focuses on what qualities, experience, etc. they can offer and doesn't just ask about benefits etc. I will tell them about the benefit package at the end of the interview. If the person interviewing you doesn't offer the information leave without asking, you will be able to find out those answers before you accept the job if offered. Many companies also have that information posted on their website.

(4) Make sure you have done some homework before the interview you should know some facts about the company, it always amazes me how many people I interview that are clueless as to anything about our organization during the interview. This just tells me that they want a job anywhere, and are not particularly interested in our organization.

(5) Always keep eye contact with your interviewer and take time to think a few seconds before you answer questions.

You may very well be right that you don't get certain job offers because of weight, discrimination over weight certainly exists. However, there are many factors that you may not even know. Competition is tough these days. In 7 out of 10 interviews I do I will have more than one person that I believe is "right" for the job, so someone with perfectly good skills, experience and education isn't going to get the job.

Good luck and don't get discouraged just keep trying. Recent statistics show that a person looking for a job over $36K a year will need to apply for an average of 27 jobs for which they are qualified.