Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to know what kind of Protein Shakes to look for. I heard the pure shakes are ok any other suggestions? and where to get them and no I don't have a trader joes in my area although I could in my travels.

Edited by kechianyree
needed to add more info

I liked the nectar shakes. It's a powder you can get at the Vitamin Shoppe and probably GNC. Good flavors. I can recommend the chocolate truffle and the fuzzy navel. I liked Bariatric Advantage's chocolate shake because it was really thick and tasted like a real shake to me. They're avalable online. If you want a ready-to-drink shake, Vitamin Shoppe has the brand that they also have at Trader Joe's. I can recommend the Cookies & cream flavor.

EAS Protein Shake mix at Sam's. Big purple bag. High in Protein, low carbs, low calories and comes in vanilla flavor. You can doctor it up with whatever flavors you want. Do not get the EAS at Walmart, as these have twice the calories and twice the carbs! The big bag at Sam's runs about $29.00 and I just put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. Good luck on your banding!

I like the EAS as well. The myloplex is great-ready made shakes in the store in the lite version and then in powder form as well thru costco or GNC. good flavor and loaded with all the minerals, Vitamins , Fiber and 3 types of complete protien. I compared,shopped and searched a lot before surg. and I like it the best for all reasons. :blink:

I need to know what kind of Protein shakes to look for. I heard the pure shakes are ok any other suggestions? and where to get them and no I don't have a trader joes in my area although I could in my travels.

I have tried quite a few in the last 6 weeks. I can honestly say that I thought most of them were pretty terrible. Even if I could get through the shake, I could not imagine doing it every day forever!! My surgeon suggested Gladiator powder from smoothie King. It has 49 grams of Protein in 2 scoops, 2 grams of carbs, and 200 calories. I like the chocolate. It is not bad at all. In fact, I think it is very good especially when compared to some of the others I have tried:

Muscle Milk - NO!!! The worst was vanilla

GNC - Max Protein - The chocolate wasn't too bad, I didn't like the vanilla

EAS @ GNC - the worker said it was the best tasting stuff in the store. I took it back under the 30 day money back guarantee. It was think and YUCK.

Try Gladiator. It was 34.99 for 2.5 pounds, and they give you a free smoothie with purchase. That is about a $5 value. You can also get 20% off with the VIP card on the first Tuesday of the month. Best of all, you can go into Smoothie King and try a Gladiator smoothie to see if you can handle it.

Good luck!

thanks guys I'm going to try a few of these my doc has some they sell too

You might want to check with your surgeon for any restrictions (s)he might have. Mine wants his patients to use whey Protein only pre-op. I used the EAS from Sam's Club; it wasn't bad. I'm not a fan of Protein Shakes to begin with, though!

RE: LisaMc.... where are you from? I never heard of smoothie King stores. It sounds good that you can try a shake before you buy it, to see if you like it.

RE: LisaMc.... where are you from? I never heard of smoothie King stores. It sounds good that you can try a shake before you buy it, to see if you like it.

Hi CA, I am in a suburb of Houston, TX. Smoothie King is quite popular here. I have tried LOTS of Protein shakes. By far the Gladiator powder at Smoothie King was the very best. There really isn't a close second place in my opinion.

I'm scheduled for my band on Oct 1 - and I just put an order in for the online GNC for Monster Milk (choc)and a dozen Isopure Fruit drinks with the 40 gms of Protein per bottle. I wish my local GNC stocked samples of Protein shakes - wouldn't that be great? I hope they;re good cuz they sure cost a pretty penney!

Anyone tried the Monster Milk from GNC? How bout the Isopure Fruit Drinks?

Blessings!

Marci

I pretty much LOVE(that is a strong word for Protein drinks) but the Isopure Protein Drinks come in fruity flavors and that is a nice change from chocolate vanillia etc. It has 40 grams of protein in 20 oz. but 350 cal. 53 g of carbs. I have kept and sipped for different flavor . My dr. only wants me too have 50 total carbs a day in my pre op diet. Share with me if you find something good. EAS carb control is my fav right now. Get it at Walmart for 497 4 cans.

God bless you as you journey.

Sherry:smile2:

I got some of my shakes from Trader Joes but they didn't have all the flavors. They have the best flavors (strawberry and banana) at vitamen shoppe along with the other flavors. They are cheaper if you buy them by the case.

Check with your Dr on Protein powders. My Dr told me no powders after surgery until I am advanced to soft foods because the powders tend to stick together at the band and block it. I would try and get some pre-mixed.

I liked the Worldwide mainly because the protein was 35 mg per shake. EAS and others were in the 20's and then you have to drink more of them to get what you need.

I am glad I avoided the Protein Drinks like Isopure during the shake times becuse the Clear Liquids just didn't fill me enough and I wouldn't have done so well.

The trick for me has always been to find a Protein shake that had a taste I could tolerate that also had low carbs. There were several that I tried that I liked, but they were loaded with carbs. My surgeon said to find one that had at least 40 grams of Protein per serving and less than 10 grams of carbs. I had no idea how hard that was going to be! I settled on the smoothie King Gladiator powder at 49g of protein and 3g of carb per serving. It is VERY good compared to some of the others.

Taste is completely subjective...what I hated, others love! That's what makes the world go round! LOL

I'm going to try the eas tomorrow I found some in Target and I think I'm going to go with the ones that my surgeons office sells, there fruity and are low on carbs