Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Roger De La Torre - Does anyone have Dr. De La Torre?

I have United Healthcare and just received an approval letter 3 weeks ago. I am so excited! I chose DePaul Hospital based on it's reputation. I was assigned Dr. De La Torre which was fine by me I attended his seminar and he seems very personable. I have an appointment wed sept. 9th for the all day testing, counseling and surgeon consult. I was told I would schedule my surgery date at that time. I was just curious if anyone else was a DePaul patient and had any advice for me?

Thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry that I JUST saw this! But, I have Dr. De La Torre and I just had my last insurance required appointment with him this afternoon. I have my pre-op testing class on November 11. So, I hope you don't mind, but, with the class, what was it like? How do they determine who gets scheduled when? I know Nancy was reading off a list of names that were to see her in that order and that's when she scheduled the surgery. I guess I'm just a little confused. Also, do you go to the lap band support groups on the first Wednesdays? I was going to go to the one next week and talk to a few people too. I guess I'm just wanting to know what to expect and heo to be prepared. Sorry. Thanks though! How did your surgery go? Is it hard to do ALL that Liquid Protein? ??

No problem I would be glad to answer any questions you have.

Dr. D. does not require very many of his patients to do a pre-op diet, I did not have to. Dr D. has an attenting physician-Dr Morales that works side by side with him in the office and the surgery room you really only speak to Dr D. after Dr. Morales has already answered all your questions, But Dr D. is still very patient and makes himself available if you would really need to speak to him. When you attend the all day education seminar there will be nothing you don't know by the end of that day, they take the time to answer everyones questions and is open discussion. On that day I suggest you try to be one of the first ones to sign in, she says it does not matter but I noticed that I was the 3rd one to sign in and I was the 3rd one taken back to see the doctor and schedule my surgery date, which meant the last person they called back had a 2 hour wait. The surgery went well the staff was pretty good just really depended on which nurse you got. The liquid diet went fine I tried 3-4 different Protein Drinks ahead of time. My favorite is the one they sell at Walmart-Body Fortress, by the fifth day I was adding sunflower butter, banana and an extra squirt of reduces sugar hershey's Syrup and did fine. On my 1 wk follow up Dr. Morales put me on soft foods and I did that for 3 days and then then all lot of the swelling in my stomach went down and I went straight to solid foods and everything was fine. I am really wanting to get my first fill, since I can still eat quite a bit now that the swelling is down. I have not attended a support class yet, but I intend to. Lisa

Edited by Lisa73

That's all good info. I really appreciate it. I was debating calling Nancy to ask her about the liquid diet because I was thinking of starting that next week so that when I have my class I'll already be on the liquid diet for a week. I've asked Dr. D about the liquid diet and he said to talk to Nancy, so, I have a feeling that he's going to put me on one. I was also wondering about if we HAD to use the Protein Shakes that were on the list or if we could use something that we liked better. I haven't tried the one from Walmart yet, but, I have a couple others, plus, I REALLY like the Muscle Milk Light. The ones I was planning on using are better than the HMR 800 shakes that were recommended....less carbs and a lot less sugar. I had a feeling that they went on a first come, first served basis for the class. I was going to plan on getting there RIGHT at about 7. If I have to wait, that's fine, I just want to make sure that I'm one of the first ones called to schedule surgery. How long did you have to wait from your class to your surgery? I'm hoping to get in in late November, but, I'm not sure if that's realistic or not. Oh, and I guess it's ok to spruce up the Protein shakes? I throw frozen fruit in mine. I'll be at the support group next week. I went to the general bariatric group last wednesday and it was REALLY cool, but, there were no banders there, only gastric. So, when did you have your surgery? If you don't mind me asking, how much have you lost so far? Oh, and, right now I religiously count my calories everyday. Will I need to do that after the band? I know, so many questions, I'm sorry. I've written a small novel. Talk to you soon. Thanks again!

I also have tried muscle milk light and purchased the pre-mixed ones so when I got home from surgery I did not have to prepare anything. I still think they have a slight after taste and I enjoy blending the body fortress with a little ice feels more like a shake verses just drinking chocolate flavored drink. I had my education seminar on sept 9th and that day I was scheduled for surgery on oct 7th. So that was 4 weeks I was shocked but excited. I think Dr D only requires a pre-op liquid diet if your bmi is 50 or greater. I only had 2 incisions he said that was all they needed to do for my surgery, one is in my belly button so you can only see one incision site. I lost a pound every day for 7 days, but as soon as my swelling went down and I could eat more I gained half of that back. I stopped weighing myself because I was getting discouraged. I really need a fill because right now my appetite is the same as before surgery. I really need to go to a support meeting. I can't stop eating the halloween candy I bought for the kids. I am one of those people that cannot have any temptation in the house. They never discussed counting calories I think just eat Protein first then veggies and carbs last. You can drink whatever Protein Drink you want just watch the carbs, and make sure it's 100% whey protein. Lisa

Edited by Lisa73

Hey Lisa, I need to get to Walmart and pick up the Body Fortress. I've heard a few things about them and it seems like it's a good price. That's the problem that I have with a lot of them is that the ones I like a lot are the expensive ones! I do have a BMI over 50. I was debating starting the liquid diet on Thursday so that by time next week rolls around, I'll be into it for a week already. I plan on asking Nancy about that tomorrow night at the support group. It's the first banders group I've been to, so, I can scope it out for you! I am hoping that they'll be able to get me in either in late November or early December, that's what Patsy led me to believe, but, there's Thanksgiving in there at the end, so who knows what Dr. D's surgery schedule looks like. I know that they do have a second surgeon there now, not Dr. Scott, he went to St. Clair's. The hope is that I'll have it not TOO long after the class, but, then, who knows? I thought I may as well get a head start and if I can add fruit to the shakes, that makes it easier! I've been trying to keep them at 200 calories or less and carbs under what the HMR800 shakes have which are 17 per shake. I'm trying to not have any expectations as to how much I'll initially lose, I know it's all a process! I'm the same way, if it's in the house, I'll eat it. I really have to learn to stay away from the sweets too as I have an incredibly unhealthy sweet tooth! I was doing REALLY well with Halloween until yesterday when people brought in their candy leftovers and my body told me if I didn't have chocolate I would die.... :-) I have been sticking to the whey Protein. I went to a GNC and was looking around and the guy there said that he's heard that whey isolate is what he typically sees people buying that have had bariatric surgery. I plan on asking them about that too. I've tried so many protein powders that my fiancee is sick of it, but, he likes the one's that I don't like so at least he has plenty to put in his coffee..... Anyway, sorry, I've written a small novel. Talk to you soon and I will let you know how the group goes tomorrow night!

Now that the swelling has gone down and I can consume a large amount of liquid again Iam finding it difficult to keep my Protein Shakes low calorie when I am adding the fruit and sunflower butter. I have stopped the fruit, that saves about 100 calories. I read on another web site (bell plantation, inc. -pb2 powered peanut butter) about Peanut Butter powder that is low calorie and low fat and is really good, you just add it to your own Protein Powder drink, I want to order some of that. I know that I will drink a Protein drink for Breakfast the rest of my life, since I will never be able to eat that much protein in a day so I might as well have some variety. Let me know what you think of your Vitamins I hate mine and the Calcium crystals have a bad after taste I wish I would of ordered the chocolate chews. I put my calcium crystals in crystal light that helps a little I cannot stand it in plain Water. Lisa

Hey Lisa, Ok, so, there were a few things going on at home and I didn't make it to the support group. I am planning on going to the group for bariatric surgery next week though. I went last month and it was really something. I think that having a group that knows me will help to keep me accountable. I have my pre-op class on Wednesday. I've been really working on my liquid diet ahead of time. I had been thinking about buying a Magic Bullet since my little Hamilton Beach blender went kaput, but, my room mate talked me into a Cuisinart Stick blender instead and it's GREAT! I would recommend it highly. It really helps to make shakes more like shakes and it was only about $25. I started freezing some bananas too, but, I haven't tried them yet. Also, I picked up a bottle of sugar free flavored Syrup, like what you use in coffee, this weekend and it's no sugar and no carbs. They had a few flavors, but, I went with caramel and I am NOT disappointed! Sorry, that's all the things I'm doing to try to keep things low carb and low cal but keep my Protein up. If you ever get to Trader Joes, they have a thing called Better Than Peanut Butter and it's a LOT healthier than PB and tastes just like it. Oh, and I picked up some sugar free pie filling this weekend, but, I haven't experimented with it yet. Which Calcium crystals did you get? I know Bariatric Advantage makes them, but, to be honest, the stuff I've had from them hasn't tasted all that great. I got some samples of stuff from Celebrate and it was pretty good, if you want to try something different. They included a pack of Multi-Vitamin drink mix, but, I haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know how it goes! So, I'm 2 days away from my class. Is there anything I should know, other than to get there super early? I was going to try to get there at about 7 am on the nose!

I also purchased Vitamins from Bariatric Advantage and I do not like them at all. The daily Vitamin is really tart and the Calcium crystals make your Water taste like vitamins, I put my calcium crystals in a half cup of crystal light/juice and drink it. I have to dissolve it in a little tap water first otherwise it will not dissolve in a cold drink straight from the fridge. I am having my first fill tomarrow I am really excited about that. I have read on this sight others stating that when it's their time of the month the band gets tighter, and I will have to say thats going to be true for me also. I will try to not schedule my fill for the same time next month to avoid being extremely tight. Lisa

Hey Lisa! I am SO sorry that it's taken me SO long to get back to you! I ended up getting 3 month supplies of all of my Vitamins from Celebrate Vitamins. I noticed they were a sponsor for the Walk From Obesity event that the weight loss institute held and checked them out. You can email them and ask for free samples and they'll send you quite a bit. It's worth it. They tasted SO much better!! How did your first fill go? I have my surgery scheduled for 12/9, so, I started my 2 week pre-op diet on the Wednesday RIGHT before Thanksgiving! UCK! Hope you had a great holiday. Also, there's a bandsters support group this Wednesday up at the May Center at De Paul. I am NOT going to miss this one! I'll scope it out and let you know how it goes! Take care and talk to you soon!

My fill went well, I think I got 2 cc's I still have a pretty big appetite Dr. Morales reminded me this is a slow process he wants me to only loose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. At that rate it will take me 2 1/2 -3 years to loose a hundred pounds. Well it's better than nothing. Lisa

Irishbookworm How are things going for you have you had a fill and how much did you get?

Lisa (Dr De La Torre's patient from DePaul.)

Dr. De la Torre did my surgery in November 2009 at University Hospital in Columbia, MO.

brendar, how are things going for you how much have you lost and how much fill and or restriction do you have?

Lisa.

Lisa, things are going OK, I guess. My friends tell me to just be patient until they find my "sweet spot". I've lost 40 lbs. since I started the whole procedure (insurance, etc.) but since surgery have only lost about 22 lbs. I can really tell more in inches. I've had 3 fills so far and have 6 cc right now. I can tell I'm getting close but I can still eat more than I think I should. I definitely can tell after my last fill that certain foods don't go down as well as before. I just can't seem to drop any numbers though. I've decided to go back to drinking two Protein drinks a day and having one small meal. I know I'll get my hand slapped but I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! :-)

Compared to the quantity that I was eating before surgery I just can't believe I'm not dropping quicker. Any suggestions? How long have you been at it and did you lose consistently your first few months? Any advice appreciated.

Brenda