Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill..most things get stuck!

ok...On Monday 8/24, I got my 2nd fill..and am at 5.5cc in my 11cc band.

It is normal for the first few days/week to be really tight? I know that 'certain foods' just dont agree with the band, but it seems that most of everything that I have tried to eat has gotten stuck! I am eating slowling, taking small bites, chewing well and still...stuck. The only thing that has gotten down without a problem are crunchy preztels.

The stuck pain sucks! and it hurts.. I am def NOT getting enough food in. I read different threads on the subject.. but dont know for me personally..

is the food getting stuck bc of the type of food it is?

is it normal to be tighter the first week? Should I give it more time?

I am considering getting a slight unfill...but then I am afraid..what if i am currently at the perfect restriction and I just need to wait and learn what foods are good for me?

I have absolutely no problem with liquids...

the food I ate/tried to eat so far are:

scrambled eggs (stuck!)

tiny potatoes bites (stuck)

crackers/saltines (went down just fine)

crunchy pretzles (went down just fine)

orzo (went down just fine, however I had a tiny bit)

chicken salad (fine one day, stuck the next..)

chicken thigh/drumstick (VERY stuck, then again the chicken was a little dry, which I hear makes is harder to go down?) I love chicken and tried a couple different days to eat it....stuck!

soft scallops (stuck)

toaster strudel (went down fine)

I dont know if to think its certain foods or what? Is this normal or should I possibly get a slight unfill..?

thanks!

Edited by Agnes

bump...................

Hi Agnes,

Missed seeing your posts. Sorry to hear you are getting stuck with certain foods. I have much more restriction after having my 2nd fill, and have to be careful that the food is moist, and remember to chew more carefully, small bites, etc (something I am still working on learning). Prior to my 2nd fill I had no problems eating anything. Now, I even get stuck with tilapia. And chicken is a problem unless it has a sauce. I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt and add different seasonings to it, which I then use to dip the meat/fish in before eating. If adding more moisture (mayo, sauce, etc) to your food doesn't help, you probably should have a little taken out.

Good luck,

Joan

I got my 3rd fill just over a week ago and am having a similar problem. I think I eat slowly and take small bites but obviously not small/slow enough.Sometimes I think it may be first bite syndrome as I can feel the sensation in my throat even before I have swallowed.

My daughter came home for a surprise visit at the weekend and I have not told her that I have had the surgery. Probably a mistake as I can feel her watching me and wondering why I am eating so slowly. That in turn makes me nervous and probably not chew as well as I should. Last night I was finding dinner hard to get down and got a mild stuck feeling. Got over that but then my daughter made some comment which made me laugh/choke and swallow all at the same time. Ended up rushing to the bathroom where I managed to PB - yuck. Painful and revolting not simple and easy like some people have described.That was the end of me trying to eat .

I'm also wondering if it was my eating technique or the actual food. I was eating mince,rice and green Beans. All foods I have eaten since this fill and not had problems with. But as many have said the band can be fickle so maybe it was what and now how I was eating. I know rice is a common problem food.

Hi Agnes,

Missed seeing your posts. Sorry to hear you are getting stuck with certain foods. I have much more restriction after having my 2nd fill, and have to be careful that the food is moist, and remember to chew more carefully, small bites, etc (something I am still working on learning). Prior to my 2nd fill I had no problems eating anything. Now, I even get stuck with tilapia. And chicken is a problem unless it has a sauce. I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt and add different seasonings to it, which I then use to dip the meat/fish in before eating. If adding more moisture (mayo, sauce, etc) to your food doesn't help, you probably should have a little taken out.

Good luck,

Joan

hey! yeah, I am not on here as often as I would like..and when I get home I dont feel like getting on the computer!

lol

I will try that.. I need to REALLY concetrate on my bites and how fast I am eating.. Maybe I am not eating as slow as I thought ..or taking enough time for that next bite..

you know that make sense, bc when I had chicken alone..stuck.. but the bit of chicken salad i had..had mayo so it went down easier.

its only been a few days, so I guess I will get used to it.. I am still gonna call the doc to get his opinion before I rush to get an unfill. But if he think I should, then I will..

Do you find yourself much tighter in the am or early pm?

wonder why that is?

Consider yourself lucky...u r already at 5.5 cc I was baded in Feb. and just now got to 6 cc from my docter. I am just now feeling restriction. Take it slow but until u get this under control....drink Protein Drinks cause otherwise u will lose your hair.< /p>

Hi Agnes,

I never was a Breakfast eater, so a big mug of coffee (actually milk with a little coffee) keeps me satisfied. I usually don't eat anything until around noon, when I'll have Cereal, or an egg or a slice of quiche.

I think most people feel more restriction in the morning.

Joan

Consider yourself lucky...u r already at 5.5 cc I was baded in Feb. and just now got to 6 cc from my docter. I am just now feeling restriction. Take it slow but until u get this under control....drink Protein drinks cause otherwise u will lose your hair.< /div>

thanks! i am def trying to remember to do that...

I have very fine hair as it is! that last thing that I want is to lost it!

Yesterday for dinner, I had salad..and NO STUCK! yey!

does this mean that i DONT need and unfill?

I call the doc/nurse, to get their 2 cents...just in case.

I am trying to really concentrate on MY eating habits..maybe its me and not the food? I guess we all have to learn..

Agnes,

Glad you're no longer getting food stuck. I'm 1 month ahead of you, but learning new eating habits takes a bit of time. I think if it wasn't for food getting stuck a few times, I would still be inhaling my food. I'm hoping the new eating habits become second nature after awhile. I asked my surgeon, who was banded 9 years ago, if he still gets stuck, and he said yes, when he doesn't pay attention. I guess we'll always have to make a conscious effort, but hopefully it willl become easier.

Agnes,

Glad you're no longer getting food stuck. I'm 1 month ahead of you, but learning new eating habits takes a bit of time. I think if it wasn't for food getting stuck a few times, I would still be inhaling my food. I'm hoping the new eating habits become second nature after awhile. I asked my surgeon, who was banded 9 years ago, if he still gets stuck, and he said yes, when he doesn't pay attention. I guess we'll always have to make a conscious effort, but hopefully it willl become easier.

The problem is even when i am very aware of how I eat, a majority gets stuck! Well the surgeon's nurse call me back and I told her what was going on and she recommended an unfill... a teeny bit, but def a little bit out. So I go this afternoon...

so I keep ya posted!

The problem is even when i am very aware of how I eat, a majority gets stuck! Well the surgeon's nurse call me back and I told her what was going on and she recommended an unfill... a teeny bit, but def a little bit out. So I go this afternoon...

so I keep ya posted!

Better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Joan

Glad to read this thread before I went for my second fill today. I have a small band (4cc), filled with 2cc on my first fill. I decided, with doc's blessing, to have only .5cc today so that I wouldn't have to go back soon for an unfill. I'm approaching this weight loss as slow and steady--you know, the tortoise approach rather than the hare approach--so getting small fills will work better for my body than more aggressive fills that could cause me to get stuck.

Just a question--after a fill, are you restricted to liquids for any amount of time? I am on Clear Liquids the day of the fill, full liquids for the day after the fill, soft foods for the third day out, then normal diet (as tolerated) after that. Maybe you tried solid foods too quickly?

Glad to read this thread before I went for my second fill today. I have a small band (4cc), filled with 2cc on my first fill. I decided, with doc's blessing, to have only .5cc today so that I wouldn't have to go back soon for an unfill. I'm approaching this weight loss as slow and steady--you know, the tortoise approach rather than the hare approach--so getting small fills will work better for my body than more aggressive fills that could cause me to get stuck.

Just a question--after a fill, are you restricted to liquids for any amount of time? I am on Clear Liquids the day of the fill, full liquids for the day after the fill, soft foods for the third day out, then normal diet (as tolerated) after that. Maybe you tried solid foods too quickly?

I dont know..maybe?

I was on 2 days of liquids..

maybe I needed a 3rd?

i just got back from the doc..and he didnt want to do an unfill.... he said to give it a few days and it will feel more comfortable. Seeing how certain things went down ok..

he said after a few more pounds lost, it will feel more comfortable. He said dont eat re-heated food (dries it out)..make sure that the chicken is very moist and not dry...take time in between bites. he was not concerned that I was too tight. Last night a salad went down fine..I chewed it ALOT!!!!!! lol

I guess some time will tell.. until then making sure I drink my Protein shake and take my mutivitamin!

Edited by Agnes