Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. James Ku - Dr. Ku....anyone out there?

I am getting banded by Dr. Ku? Anyone else?

Hubby and I are getting banded by Dr. Ceppa. We are 2 month into our required 6 month diet. How are things going for you?

Dawn

Hi Dawn!

That is great that you and hubby are doing this together. It must be so nice having a partner with you through this. My husband has actually been dieting with me so that has helped, but it's not the same.

How do you like Dr. Ceppa? I have seen him, he looks nice. I've only seen Dr. Ku so far. I was submitted last Wed to insurance for approval and my surgery is scheduled for September 16th. I am really excited (assuming I get approved from insurance). I had to do a 3 month program. I went to the first group orientation back in February, so it still takes a lot longer then what you think. Oh well, I just kept telling myself "so what if it's a couple extra months". They will fly by and they really really have. I can't believe I'm almost there. Yours will fly by too!!!! :thumbup:

What area are you guys from? Is it far to appointments for you. I like how the office does take control and do everything, makes it a lot less complicated.

Keep me posted on your progress!!! It's always nice to chat with someone who's in the same area and surgeons.

Boo

It's great to meet you, too!

I really like Dr. Ceppa. He took a lot of time with us at our initial consult. He said the lapdabd would be perfect for both Hubby & me, but he did warn me that DH will lose alot faster than I will - story of my life :blushing:

I like how the office takes care of everything too. I see a pulmonologist today - I must get tested for sleep apnea.

I wish you the best of luck on 9/16. Please let me know how everything is going.

Are you local? We are from Kenhorst, so the hospital is not far at all.

Take care,

Dawn

Yeah, it stinks how much faster men loose weight. My husband has lost a ton of weight this year. He considered the band but wanted to give it one last attempt and then is hoping with my band changes and lifestyle change it will cement the changes he's made. I hope so too. He's done great and as happy as we are for our hubby's it's like they get the easy end of the stick on everything, including weight loss. LOL Oh well. :thumbup:

Did Dr. Ceppa say which band he preferred. Dr. Ku said he does both but seemed to be leaning toward the Realize band, he said he's really come to like it and has been seeing equal and great results. I guess I'm gonna go with the realize band. As much as I see people try and get the pro's and con's of the bands, they do seem pretty much equal. I think if you follow the rules and do what we're supposed to, we'll have success with either band. Makes me a little nervous with it being the newer band, but I'm just gonna trust Ku. I am near the Elverson area so it's not too far to reading for me, about 30 mintues or so.

I'm excited for you to get through your nutrition appts and insurance reqs!!! It will fly by. :crying:

Hey Boo,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Dr. Ceppa said he does not have a band preference. He said we can pick one or he will chose.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck - 2 days to go - yeah for you! Please let me know how you made out.

Take care,

Dawn

I am seeing Dr. Ku 11/03 for my first consult. He seems great so far and am hoping to get quick approval after that. Of course I know it doesn't always work that way but, I am hopeful. I did a 6 month diet with my family doc because I knew it would be required by insurance. I am hoping the except that as my pre surgery diet. It is great to find others in the area.

I live in Morgantown. My family doc is in Eleverson. We are neighbors. It is nice to meet you.

Sharon

That's so exciting Sharon! I hope you get quick approval too!! I just saw Dr. Ku today for my one month follow up and he is nice. He seems shy to me, but I like him. Good luck and keep us posted how your making out.

Hey Dawn~ What's new with you? You have to be at least half way done now right? I can't wait till you get your approval too. Then we can all be band buddies :lol:

Boo

Hi Sharon!

Welcome to the board! I am from Kenhorst. Dr. Ceppa will be doing my surgery and my hubby's hopefully in January.

Hey Boo-

51 lbs. down - Way to go girl!!!!

DH & I have 2 more months to go. The Nut told us everything is right on track for January surgeries. She told us to start trying Protein supplements. Can you recommend any?

Take care,

Dawn

Dawn,

That is great news!! January is like the perfect month for being banded. It's a great new start for 2010. You and DH will do wonderful and you'll have each other to go through all the steps with.

Thanks for the cheer! :lol: I am feeling really great. I had my one month post op with Dr. Ku yesterday and I am feeling great. I ended up not getting my first fill. I am not really hungry yet and am losing so we're gonna hold off. I all ready have my appt in November so I will just figure on one then if I need it.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Boo

Hi there...I am also from the Reading area. Sinking Spring to be exact. My sister and I are considering lapband surgery and have started reading as much as we can find. We have signed up for the seminar and then we will take it from there. I see that insurance requires you be on a diet for 6 months prior? That is a little discouraging since my sis and I want to get going on this as soon as we can...You know how it is...Once you make your mind up, you just want to DO IT...Any words of advice? Thanks....Jenny

Hey there! That is so exciting you and your sister might do this together. You can't get any better support then that. I went to my Orientation back in February of last year. Gosh, to think it's been 1 year since starting. I had a 3 month pre-op program and it flew by. I boohoo'd about it too and thought it was gonna take forever, but you know looking back it really gave me the time I needed to prepare. Probably didn't need 6 months though but considering my Info Meeting was February and I didn't get surgery till September, it was like 8 months. You just have to know it will happen and seriously use the pre-op time to read books, post, read on here and Obesityhelp.com, start dieting and get ready. I think me being ready really helped put me in a positive place to start this thing. I have really enjoyed working with Dr. Ku so far and he's been great through it all. I am actually 5 months post op today, exactly. I have lost 47 pounds since surgery which I am very happy with, especially making it through the holidays. That was tough, but I actually lost 6 pound from Thanksgiving to New Year's instead of gaining 10. It was really a great feeling. I am excited for you guys to start your journey. Just get started now so you can get these 6 months started and let the journey begin. Remember, this is about changing your life and you will never look back. Best of luck to you. Oh, I am near Morgantown, so it's nice there is a couple local faces on here. I haven't been on this site a lot recently though, but please keep me updated. I'll cheer you on. :biggrin:

Boo

Hi there...I am also from the Reading area. Sinking Spring to be exact. My sister and I are considering LAP-BAND® surgery and have started reading as much as we can find. We have signed up for the seminar and then we will take it from there. I see that insurance requires you be on a diet for 6 months prior? That is a little discouraging since my sis and I want to get going on this as soon as we can...You know how it is...Once you make your mind up, you just want to DO IT...Any words of advice? Thanks....Jenny

Hey Dawn,

How are things going? I was looking for you the other day and wondering if you guys ever finally got banded. I was looking on OH though and not here. I forgot it was here I met you. So, how are you doing? When did you get banded? Feels like it was so long ago you were waiting and if the time frame is right you should be post-op. Let me know if you need anything!!!

Take Care,

Boo

Hey Boo-

51 lbs. down - Way to go girl!!!!

DH & I have 2 more months to go. The Nut told us everything is right on track for January surgeries. She told us to start trying Protein supplements. Can you recommend any?

Take care,

Dawn

Hi Boo!

Funny - I was lurking on OH the other day and saw a few of your posts! I wasn't sure you were still on here - look who's rockin' her band - 83 pounds - holy $h*t!!!! I am so happy for you.

DH & I were both banded on 1/27 by Dr. Ceppa. We are 4 weeks out today. We are both doing great. The first few days were rough - hubby had gas pains - I never did. I feel better than ever, this is the best thing I ever did for myself. We start normal food on Saturday - yay! But it really hasn't been bad so far. DH lost 36 lbs & I am down 18. We eat the same food/calories per day & he lost double what I did - oh well, that's a man for you =:wink:

I have a blog the link is below - if you want to check it out.

Take care & talk to you soon!

Dawn

Don't that suck about men!!! I guess we just gotta keep rolling along with them though. LOL Me and my hubby are the same way though. Anyway, that is fantastic that you and DH are doing so great!!! Whoo Hoo and a belated congrats to you on all your progress so far. Keep it Momma!!! :wink:

I have done good and am very happy so far. Down 50 pounds since surgery and I will SO take it. Having a stall out this week, but this always happens every 3 weeks or so.

Keep up the great work and keep me posted. I'm cheering for you!!

Boo