Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are normal symptoms after surgery

I too had my surgery on the Aug. 17. I am doing well. I do feel bloated. Still have some gas and I feel pain around the port. I actually returned to work today (secretary) and have done real well. Let's keep each other posted....good luck!

I was banded on August 12th and I have had a lot of similar aches and pains as everyone else. One thing that I had was a really sharp pain on my right side, under my ribs, when I took a deep breath it killed! I was in tears at one point. It has subsided now and is getting better everyday. I also thought I would bounce back quickly, but have taken this week to rest after work. My question is what is the "full" feeling feel like. Now doing puree stage, but it's hard to balance and know what is ok to puree, what I can just chew? How do I know what is too much? I am not feeling nausea or any different if I eat a little or more. I don't want to hurt anything with the band, but I'm having a hard time finding that point. I do not think I am eating too much, I am just trying to figure things out. Any advice would be appreciated. My first follow up appointment is 9/24

I was banded on August 12th and I have had a lot of similar aches and pains as everyone else. One thing that I had was a really sharp pain on my right side, under my ribs, when I took a deep breath it killed! I was in tears at one point. It has subsided now and is getting better everyday. I also thought I would bounce back quickly, but have taken this week to rest after work. My question is what is the "full" feeling feel like. Now doing puree stage, but it's hard to balance and know what is ok to puree, what I can just chew? How do I know what is too much? I am not feeling nausea or any different if I eat a little or more. I don't want to hurt anything with the band, but I'm having a hard time finding that point. I do not think I am eating too much, I am just trying to figure things out. Any advice would be appreciated. My first follow up appointment is 9/24

I just have a full feeling. Sometimes I feel like I need to burp, but can't. I just back off the liquid and then it is fine in no time. Hopefully someone that has been at the a while longer can give us both some good tips! Good luck!

Hi, I was also banded August 12th. I had my first taste of real food. My husband made home made noodles and chicken on the grill. I didn't eat a lot but listened to my body and knew when I was full.

Leah

How did you tolerate the noodles?

Hi All-

I was banded on the 13th, I am 4 days into the mushy diet. I too have yet to feel the "full" sensation. I can sip liquids all day long and have my 3 meals (4 ounces) and I have yet to feel any sensation.

One problem I am having is Constipation, and it is getting frustrating. I went out and purchased some Calcium tablets with Fiber added to see that will help. I am usually a big Fiber eater and I think my body is really missing it. Any other suggestions?

When are we able to start eating fruits & vegetables? The only thing my dr. will allow is watermellon and canned or frozen stringbeans?

Kim

Northern NJ

Banded August 13th

Starting weight 305

Current weight 287

I was banded Aug 20th, and was wondering the same thing! These sensations are not at all what I was expecting. Sore, yes, like someone punched me in the stomach, yes.....but I also feel extremely bloated and am not able to tolerate the 1-2 oz Fluid every 15 mins that my dr. advises. It's a little worrisome because I don't want to become dehydrated. I tried upping my Liquid Protein to keep from feeling poorly, but that gave me GI distress big time. So, back to Clear Liquids, slowly. I'm very uncomfortable, but will contact the dr. office tomorrow for reassurance.

I was released from the surgery center the same day, surgery center at 11am and home -in bed- by 3pm. I felt great until about 7pm that day then the anesthesia wore off and the incision area hurt so bad. I took the pain meds the next morning and felt worse. After that I started taking Aleve. My doc permitted me to go on pureed foods the day after surgery. I was on Aleve for a few days.

Each day I started to feel better. I had worried that I was stretching my pouch (eating pureed foods) because it seems as if everyone else was on a liquid diet. After a reaffirming call to the nurse I am fine :biggrin: Your doc is giving you the best info to follow. I'm sure that if you are following his directions your pouch is safe.

The area around my port incision is still swollen but other than that I'm great!

Edited by Lisani

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery on Tuesday, August 18, and I've also had my share of good and bad hours/days. The day of the surgery wasn't so bad, mainly because I was so medicated. :biggrin:

The day after surgery, we drove home (about two hours from the surgery center) and that was not fun at all. My torso and upper back hurt so bad that I did not know what to do, I felt like I was going crazy!

Once we got home, I was still in a lot of pain and after taking the meds and not getting any relief, I called the Dr. and he prescribed Tylenol with Codine which worked a bit better.

I had trouble with nausea when drinking the medications (sickenly sweet) but am glad that I did not get sick. It was one of the things that terrified me the most about this whole process.

The third day was so much better and I was very happy thinking that I was out of the woods. Unfortunately, on the fourth day (yesterday) I woke with a terrible belly ache. I figured that I was constipated and took the medicine I was given, which made me feel nauseated.:crying: I had the runs really bad and I couldn't figure out why since I wasn't eating anything but full liquids. Maybe it was because I stopped taking the pain meds or maybe my body is just adjusting to all the changes...?

I did not have a good night's sleep last night and was exhausted all day today (I also had the runs again:angry:). I felt really weak and tired, and did not start to feel somewhat normal until this afternoon, after I took a two-hour nap. I was supposed to return to work tomorrow, but I've decided to take two more days off. Thank God my boss is so understanding.:crying:

I think that I need to eat more but nothing I am allowed to eat is appetizing (I've been craving Pasta like crazy though!). Tomorrow I can start eating mushies so I hope that this will give me more energy (mashed potatoes sound really good right now:drool:).

I also haven't had that "full" feeling yet but I'm making sure to eat just a little at a time. I even bought baby bowls and tiny spoons which really help me keep my portions small. It's pretty funny to see me sitting down at the table with my sippy cups and my tiny dishes and spoons.:ohmy:

I am trying to stay positive and keep telling myself that this was a surgery and I need to give my body time to heal so it can work. Good luck to everyone and sorry for the long post.

How did you tolerate the noodles?

I tolerated them really well. I only ate a few, and had some chicken cut up really well. It tasted so good! I'm happy that I am able to tolerate that well. I've moved to soft foods this week, and am so happy! It is really weird to be chewing again!

Leah

That is good to know. I am a big Pasta lover, so I think even a bite would be satisfying!! Good luck to you and all the other "Bandits"!!

Just remember to chew your food well.

Leah

I called my doctor that night, after all, and he mentioned that when you're taking tiny sips from small containers, you can swallow more air. He also suggested going back to just Water for a day or so. I started drinking out of a larger cup, not sipping, being careful not to swallow so much air. It's so much better! So here I am, day 5 post op, still on clear liquids. I can't wait til things normalize a little! Strangely, I still have energy for walking and doing all my normal activities, as long as I can get a nap in.

I was banded on August 11th and seem to be doing fairly well with the exception of a cough I have developed. I have coughed until I feel like my insides are coming up. Cough meds don't seem to be slowing it down. It is making me somewhat weak most of the time.

Today, I start on a soft diet finally. The liquids are fine but it will be nice to add something with a little more substance than broth.

I am determined to follow all the rules and not mess up my band! food is never going to rule my life again.