Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't decide

Ok - so I have completed all my pre-requisites and now all I need to do is send in my completed packet to the surgeon’s office and then wait for them to call me with a appointment. But before I even get to that, there is a section on their questionnaire that asks which procedure I would prefer: lap band or gastric bypass?

When I started this journey I went into it thinking I absolutely wanted the lap band. I liked it for all of the obvious reasons (simple surgery,quick recovery time, adjustable, not permanent). But now as I have had time to think about and learn about everyone else's experiences...I am not so sure I want the lap band any more. I understand that both procedures come with risks but I feel like the lap band has more of a potential to have something go wrong down the road. I have a hard time believing that something I have installed in me at the age of 30 is going to last for the rest of my life with out any complications. I think about the lap band as a car...it needs maintenance (fills)...might need some repairs...what if it a lemon?!?!?

So my other option is gastric bypass...and I know I am posting this on a pro-lapband message board so I am not sure I will get much support with this option. But I think my body chemistry might work better with the RNY. I am hypothyroid and although I am on medication for it...i still think my body suffers as a result of a synthetic metabolism. So I think the malabsorbtion of the RNY would actually help me lose the weight.

Ugh, this is such a difficult decision...I have been obsessing over it for days!

You are right. This is a lapband board and most of us love our bands, me included. I do think with your state of mind, it would probably be a mistake to go ahead with the band. It really is a tool and if you don't work with it, it doesn't work. It's hard to put alot of effort into something, if you really don't think it's the best option. I think weight loss surgery is a very personal decision and most definitely one size does not fit all. There is one more option, though. Have you considered a sleeve? To me, it seems like a reasonable choice, but I don't know much about it.

Good luck with your decision.

Cindy

Sorry - I should have said that it is not that I think the lap band won't work...I think it will work. I am really just concerned about the life span of the band. I am worried about all the things that could possiblly go wrong. And I wouldn't want to have it taken away from me and have to go through this whole process again. Thanks!

I guess it's really a matter of which "what ifs?" bother you the most. With bypass, I was more worried about complications from the surgery and my long-term health. I was also worried about the possibility of needing chemo someday and not being able to get it with a bypass. The idea that the band was removable was comforting to me, not scary. I hope to never lose my band and it has been very good to me. I am hopeful that we will have a long happy life together, but if problems arise, maybe there will be something even better to try 10 years from now.

Cindy

Barbara, on the home page for LBT, there is a comparison posted by Alex of Lap Band vs. Gastric Bypass. That's a good basic start.

The percentage of problems is a good question. For me, personally, the fact that I did not want the intestinal bypass part of the gastric bypss carried more weight than the potential problems. I'm 6 months out and not a problem other than just having a .2cc unfill because I finally admitted to myself last week that I was just a little too tight. Other than that, not one problem. None. What does the future hold? Heck, I may get hit by a bus or fall off the cruise ship on one of my annual cruises. Who knows? For me, I was willing to "roll the dice".

TALK to your surgeon. Ask every question you possibly can think of. For example, does he stitch the band in place to prevent slippage? how many patients have had problems such as erosion (not just his patients, but overall)? You may find that they things you fear have very small percentage rates of occurrence.

Barbara,

It's natural to feel unsure when you're making such a life changing decision. Do not go through with any surgery unless you feel good about it. These concerns about the lifespan of the band, etc are legitimate - ask your doctor about them. I would speak with your doctor about the 2 surgeries and work out your pros/cons with each of them. Ask about how each would effect your hypothyroidism, if at all. As one poster had mentioned, the sleeve is also a WLS option.

Have you researched the 2 surgeries very thoroughly? Each surgery should help you lose weight, but they really cater to different types of eaters. Are large portions your problem? Sugary foods? Think about what type of eater you are.

I ate pretty healthy stuff, just had problems controlling my portions, and that's one of the reasons why I chose lap band. I also had concerns about the band lasting a lifetime but decided that I would cross that bridge when it came, and right now I needed to focus on getting healthy.

Even though this is a lap band forum, you'll actually find lots of people who are in support of the RIGHT weight loss surgery, not just lap band. There are also people who started with the band and converted to RNY. Search this forum, soak up all the knowledge you can, speak with your doctor and think things over in your mind until you feel good about it.

Ugh, this is such a difficult decision...I have been obsessing over it for days!

You have some legit concerns.

I'm not really a fan of bypass. It's a great procedure for some, life saving for others. But I'm too irresponsible to take the supplements for the rest of my life. Also, many people do not realize they are not going to fully malabsorb forever. Usually they do during the honeymoon period of 6-18 months. But you'll always malabsorb nutrition.

If you are confident you can overhaul your eating behaviors and maintain exercise bypass is a great option.

Don't forget, the sleeve and DS also exist.

I was also worried about the possibility of needing chemo someday and not being able to get it with a bypass. The idea that the band was removable was comforting to me, not scary. I hope to never lose my band and it has been very good to me. I am hopeful that we will have a long happy life together, but if problems arise, maybe there will be something even better to try 10 years from now.

Cindy

Banding is actually one of the procedures one would not want to have with chemo. There is usually a lot of violent vomiting with chemo and the risk is a slip. During chemo people have very little immune system working and surgery to correct a slip smack in the middle of chemo would not be good.

TALK to your surgeon. Ask every question you possibly can think of. For example, does he stitch the band in place to prevent slippage? how many patients have had problems such as erosion (not just his patients, but overall)? You may find that they things you fear have very small percentage rates of occurrence.

Do you know of ANY surgeon who does NOT stitch the band into place?

I was going for the band but after talking to the doctor we choose the RNY. The sleeve you really have to have a high BMI. I'm hoping my Ins pays for the RNY. The band seems to be right but after really talking about it we choose (I) choose the Y instead. You read about people being banded then going over to the Y. But it is really up to you really think things through you have to live with it. The Y they will put six wholes in you. It's not like before when they cut you open. Just think about it. Are you paying cash or ins? that can put some weight on what you go with too. Julie

It is a big decision that only you can make. Do as much research as possible. I had the Lapband done November 2008, and have loved it. I lost 50 pounds and than my band slipped. Had intense heartburn, found out it was gastritis due to the band. With gastritis you throw up alot and so it is likely that if I have the band put back on, more than likely I will throw up and cause it to slip again. So I am now considering the bypass as well. My insurance don't cover the other WLS. The bypass has already been approved by my insurance I am just trying to decide if this is the best choice for me.

Good luck!

I was going for the band but after talking to the doctor we choose the RNY. The sleeve you really have to have a high BMI. I'm hoping my Ins pays for the RNY. The band seems to be right but after really talking about it we choose (I) choose the Y instead. You read about people being banded then going over to the Y. But it is really up to you really think things through you have to live with it. The Y they will put six wholes in you. It's not like before when they cut you open. Just think about it. Are you paying cash or ins? that can put some weight on what you go with too. Julie

You do not have to have a high BMI for the sleeve. You have to have a higher BMI for bypass than you do a sleeve.

I had my sleeve done with a BMI of 20.8.

My packet asked the same thing, for me it was a simple yes to the band because I wouldn't have qualified for the gastric band.

I have also seen my Aunt and her daughter have gastric and have seen them both have a lot of complications, but then again I have had issues with my port (now resolved) where their issues are not resolved still after so long.

I guess I would research and research some more, talk to the surgeon and ask his/her opinion. Regardless it will be a challenging but worthwhile decision! Good luck ;)

My personal opinion only here but I am someone who has dealt with thyroid disease for a very long time. Honestly, I did some research about the correlation between the two and there isn't any. As long as you have your blood work completed routinely and adjust your thyroid medication, it should not have any effects on whichever surgery you choose. I honestly thought because I would be losing weight and my metabolism would change that the thyroid would be effected but it isn't. I will tell one thing about my thyroid experience though for what it will be worth to you. I was on synthroid for awhile and hated it with a passion. I had all kinds of symptoms that were horrible including major Hair loss, night sweats, etc. I was reading a book one day about natural hormone therapy because at the time was experimenting with it. I was a lot younger at the time and had to have a total hysterectomy due to cancer. Once I was allowed to consider hormone replacement, I was too young not to do it for awhile. I am old enough now that I don't dabble in hormone replacement for the obvious reasons to my health. But to get back on the path. The book discussed natural thyroid replacement in the form of armour thyroid. I have it compounded at the pharmacy and have been taking it for years. It has worked miracles for me. I weighed just a little less than you when I was making my decision and I did not want to cut my stomach in anyway. But there are good and bad arguments for all of the procedures. Only you can research and make what you feel is the best choice for you.

I'm almost 20 years older than you and probably had/have more comorbs than you do. Along with hypothyroidism I had type 2 diabetes, was peremenopausal, depression/anxiety and on meds for those, sleep apnea, HBP and high cholesterol. I was going to have the RNY in 2006 and put it off while my dad was ill and after he died went back to the surgeon and at the last minute switched to the lap band instead, partially due to the fear that most people have with it.

I don't know all the "whys" because I did go to my group for fills and maintenence but I was never able to lose and only gained back the weight I lost on pre-op. Tended to eat around the band with "sliders" to fill up. Either I'm one of a kind or people aren't that willing to stay here after being that unsuccessful on the band. I also developed pain from GERD and it was removed 14 months after I had originally received it.

Eight months after it's removal I revised to RNY and so far so good. I'm losing where before I couldn't and can't explain it except for the fact that the restriction is there right from the beginning, the bypass part helps also with malabsorption and also with my type 2 diabetes in "remission". Knock on wood I'm a happy camper and glad I finally decided to go with RNY. Like one of the posters mentioned above I was more a sweet eater and not a big portion eater so that maybe where the line is drawn for picking from the two procedures. Good luck with whichever one you choose and hopefully you will do well! Nancy.

You need to check with Ins every Ins is not the same. For my ins for the sleeve you have to be over a BMI 40. I don't know how it is for cash. And how it is in Mexico. I know some go outside the US but I'm staying close to home. You really need to think this over very well. And check out the doctors too. Good Luck Julie

I hope someone here can help w/this ? about the lapband. I do not know how to start a new thread so I thought this looked like a good spot for my concerns. If u chew chew chew so food does not get stuck then it must go through to the bigger part of your stomache, in this case u can still eat alot. If food does not go through then it is stuck trying to go through and u vomit it back up. Can anyone please explain how the band works or is suppose to. Thankyou