Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow will be 2 months since my surgery. I have been doing alright so far, but for some reason suddenly I'm craving sweets. Does anyone know of any good sweets to have that won't have a negative impact on what I have accomplished so far? I pulled out some rice cakes I have in my pantry only to find out they're white cheddar flavor, not to mention I don't know if rice cakes would be ideal. I would think they would have a tendancy to get stuck. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I like an occasional sweet and have found Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus flavor to do the trick for me.

I've also heard that an occasional small piece of dark chocolate can kill the craving without doing much damage.

Sweets are definitely my downfall...always has been. Try a cup of Diet hot chocolate, only 25 calories. Or what about a chocolate Protein Shake. Sometimes a cup of chai tea, with a little splenda and milk helps me too. sugar free pudding? Oh, and I have some cinnamon raisin South Beach Diet Protein Bars that taste just like a cinnamon roll!! I love them!!

I have no patience with subsituting for what you really crave. If I want a mars bar, no 25 calorie hot chocolate is going to suffice, I want the mars bar.

I find really thinking about whether its a passing thought or if you truly want it, with the view that if you truly want it you can have it works for me.

Knowing that I can have what I want if I really want it makes it easier to avoid the impulse pig out which you regret 3 minutes later. Whereas if I really wanted whatever it was, I have it, enjoy it, and move on.

You have to eat daily for the rest of your life. That's a vast quantity of food. How on earth can ONE choice if its made with consideration derail your entire diet? This is a lifestyle and there's room for sensible treats.

I have no patience with subsituting for what you really crave. If I want a mars bar, no 25 calorie hot chocolate is going to suffice, I want the mars bar.

I find really thinking about whether its a passing thought or if you truly want it, with the view that if you truly want it you can have it works for me.

Knowing that I can have what I want if I really want it makes it easier to avoid the impulse pig out which you regret 3 minutes later. Whereas if I really wanted whatever it was, I have it, enjoy it, and move on.

You have to eat daily for the rest of your life. That's a vast quantity of food. How on earth can ONE choice if its made with consideration derail your entire diet? This is a lifestyle and there's room for sensible treats.

Excellent post! I agree. If I want candy, I want candy. No Protein shake can taste that good (and I don't even hate the shakes). But they are no Snickers with almonds. The whole good food and bad food thing is partly how I end up here, fat and planning to get banded this month. I wanted to check this post to see if anyone had found some miracle sweet food that has no fat, no calories, no sugar and no guilt. Darn. Guess not. :)

I also agree that sugar-free pudding or something can be enough to take the edge off. I'm really loving the no-sugar-added fudge pops. They aren't chocolate mousse but aren't too bad. I hope you find something to help with your craving!:thumbup:

Good luck,

TPG

If you want something specific then I agree with Jachut...go for it (or at least some of it) but if it's a vague generalized "now I want sweet" then substituting can work. There are many posts on here about altered taste buds, changes in perceptions and preferences etc.

In the past if I wanted sweet a diet green tea w/citrus would've just gotten in my way on my path to "real sweet stuff" like cake, pie, candy, Cookies, whatever. Now it exactly fills the bill.

SO if you want an oreo, HAVE one. If you want "a sweet", nose around, find something lower cal (even fruit? ) that fills the bill.

I say if you can manage your Portion Control for sweets, then go for the "real stuff". For me, substituting is the way to go. One oreo usually turns into 10. If I consume much sugar, it pretty much consumes me. It always has. I suppose that could be partly due to PCOS. I do better when I stay away from "the real" stuff. I'm not saying I NEVER eat a piece of cake, but I tend to get into trouble once I start eating that stuff. Not everyone can eat sweets in moderation. I know I can't. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Very true, Georgia Girl, good point. And many "sweets" are sliders, so the band is no help. Also many of us have if not diabetes, metabolic syndrome and it's easier to avoid that type of thing generally. Plus when you're in weight loss mode, instead of maintenance, I'd rather get the kick from something lower calorie than "waste" it on something that might make me want MORE and doesn't give me much nutrition or energy for the caloric investment! And I personally have never had AN oreo. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! I guess I forgot about the sf pudding and Jello. I think when I posted this I was thinking CHOCOLATE! I do know that I don't want to deprive myself of anything because I know in the past with other diets when I deprived myself, it turned into an all out eating fest! Anyhow thanks everyone for the advice!

I love SFFF chocolate pudding, it's a great sweet treat. But as Jachut mentioned, if I'm craving something specifically, I allow myself to have that as a treat. It doesn't happen often so I don't really care about it...if I were to ignore that craving, it would get worse and then I'd be shoveling anything and everything in my mouth.

Also, as mentioned in almost every other post of mine recently, greek yogurt is one of my favorite Snacks. Plain it tastes like sour cream. But if you mix in splenda, fruit, etc it takes on that taste. Right now I do 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter...it satisfies my sweet tooth, and my love for Peanut Butter.< /p>

I talked to one of the trainers at my gym about my sweet cravings and how I craved them ALL the time. He suggested to eat a piece of fruit first, then if you are still craving (notice I said craving, not hungry) then go brush your teeth and gargle mouthwash. Nothing would taste good after that! I thought that was a pretty smart tip.

Because...some of us are sugarholics. It won't stop with just one Mars bar. How easy is it to eat ice cream. creamy cakes, cheese cakes with the band. To easy. Once sugar gets in a sugarholics system it is hard to stop. Since there are no serious consequences in eating sugary things...like with gastric & dumping...I prefer to keep it out of my system. I suffice with chocolate Protein drinks, chocolate Protein Bars, sf chocolate pudding. That works for me.