Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TV shows about obesity; Ruby, Big Medicine, Brookhaven - etc.

Does anyone here watch these shows?

I remember when they cancelled Big Medicine sometime last year right in the middle of the season - I was so devastated. I loved how they went back and showed The Davis Dr.s patients from time to time to see how they were faring. Especially Allen! What a major wonder this guy is!!

Also this show went away for a good year, but has finally come back on the Discover Health channel and recently showed about 5 new episodes. It's been a few weeks since any new ones, but it has been great to see some of the patients from a ways back. Allen has done phenomenal!! His excess skin surgery was pretty astounding too!!

Ruby, she is absolutely fantastic and I think she deserves every bit of praise she gets!! I so wish I could just wake up one day and have half the mojo she has. This lady IS all that. :biggrin: She started at over 700 Lbs is now down to 333!! No surgery, no nothing - but willpower. Wow... I mean, just... wow. She really truly inspires me, and watching this show helps me to realize that I had it in me all along. No excuses really. What a battle to overcome and she's doing it!!

Brookhaven, I don't think this show has had any new epi's lately - but I still like to watch the repeats. You know, and maybe I'm wrong for even thinking this but it keeps me at a resonable level to try to keep the weight from coming back. The pain these people go through... I never want to go through that.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has been keeping up with these shows lately...

I watch all those plus X-weighted, I Lost It, and The Diet Detective. I wish they wern't mostly in reruns I really enjoy them like you do!!!!

Mimi

Oh I used to watch I Lost It too! I took it off my DVR because I started to be able to know what they were going to say in the next clip... lol!

Ive never heard of X Weighted or Diet Detective... what channel?

I love to watch Ruby!

LMD, The Diet Detective also has a website (.com) but his show is on hiatus right now but is usually on WE channel.

X-weighted is on Discovery Health Channel on Tuesday Thursday at 4pm. Same channel different day from I lost it.

Mimi

No Plain it doesn't count:laugh:

I've watched Ruby more this year, didn't know she started out at 700 lbs. I think she has a really good support system with all her friends. I'm glad she fired her trainers though, I don't think they could really relate to a woman of her size in all aspects. I still am waiting to see what she finds out about her "past" as it's becoming more clear that there was some form of abuse going on there and I know it's going to be very traumatic for her. It's just nice to see a woman of her size who will go out and do all the things that a lot of us are affraid to do because we're just not thin enough yet.

As for Brookhaven, I suppose it has it's place but doesn't seem to be helping people more like enabling them to some respect.

As for the other show Big Medicine I blamed them for me jumping on the "band" wagon because their daughter/sister had gotten one so I thought it would work for me too! But all the ones I've seen have been repeats and not new ones. But I still remember the one when Doc senior took that one patient who had an infection and dug his scaple or something in there to let out the puss and that poor man was crying and I was feeling the pain right along with him!

I have watched that new drama forget what it's called with the woman who died and she went into the body of a plus size woman and it was ok in the beginning but now it's kind of boring. Nancy.

I've just started watching Big Medicine & Ruby. For me, the jury is still out on Big Medicine, as I find the surgeries a bit TMI. I really enjoy Ruby. She's really inspiring.

On the lighter side, Drop Dead Diva is fun, and I have gotten hooked on Dance Your Ass Off.

I watch Big Medicine and the show about Brookhaven. I don't get the other channels, which is a real bummer. I really like watching Ruby. All of these shows remind me why I am choosing to get the Lap-band. They are very inspirational to me. I hope I get my band soon. I never want to be in the position the people at Brookhaven are in.

Joan

I love all of these shows, especially Ruby! She is such an inspiring person, and it really motivates me when I watch her. I can relate to a lot of the struggles she has faced on her journey, and it gives me hope, hope for the future!

I find Ruby to be very inspiring. That's really what got me started on my journey to lose weight. I like watching Brook Haven. It's sad to see people in that bad of shape and they don't endorse any kind of weight loss surgeries. Those people need help and they need to get healthy. I also have watched the specials on Emmanual (the world's largest man in Mexico). I watch those shows and stay inspired to keep on track and lose weight.

I totally agree! I find watching these shows motivate me. I mean, really... this lady was once over 700 Lbs! Last mentioned weigh in she was 333.. I was floored!! and she's doing this all on pure willpower. What a fantastic lady!

In her last episode she was going through some of her old pictures and she was trying to figure out why she has so many holes in her memory. I'm almost sure she must have been molested or sexually abused in some way. I've heard it's very common for women to subconsciously gain lots of weight to remain unnattractive.

I think that might be what's going on there. She'll do fine though. It will be a very tough moment for her when she really does remember what happened.