Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Am Getting Cold Feet!

I know you all have been through this.. but I am a 11 days pre-op and getting very nervous. I was hoping that because we are doing the vacation thing before hand, that the time would drag. ( you know how when you are looking foward to something the time seems to go slower?) But quite the contrary.. I think my fears of the plane and the surgery are making it approach faster!

I know I am still over a week from surgery, but we leave for PV early Sat. morning. Only like 4 days from now.

My problem is I am starting to have negative thoughts about the band not working for me and how much it costs and what we could buy instead.. and the whole surgery thing and the pain thing and the airplane thing... My brain is trying to talk me out of this, maybe trying to make excuses.. i don't know.

Please tell me this is normal...

What were your fears as surgery approached?

When does the anxiety take a back seat to the excitement again?

I know this is what I want to do.. 200% sure... why am I trying to talk myself out of it?

Ohhhhhhhh I remember those all so clearly. I had serious doubts...... most of them because I was head strong and successful on the pre-op weight loss so I started to think I didn't need the band and that I could just continue being strong by myself........

then I just kept telling myself that I was fooling myself.....I have been trying to get this weight off for 30 years....I was done doing the up and down, I was tired of lying to myself, I was ready to make a very positive commitment to myself..... I thought either I can sit here and yo yo diet for another 10 years and run into more serious health issues or just do it....... be proud of a courageous opportunity and jump into it.......

it really helped me to stay in tune with these forums.... it helped me keep my excitement up to look at before and after pictures, to read of weight loss success, to hear all the NSV's........... it was and still is very exciting to know that I can do it too.....

now that i'm post-op I'm still a little scared sometimes that I just made such a drastic step..... but it's quickly smashed when I jump on the scale and see it going down..... safely, healthy, and steadily......

I told myself I will commit a year 100% to this...... I think in a years time we will all be in celebration mode and very thankful we did this.

Be strong hang in there, I think we all had seconds thoughts on having the surgery, I know I did. But I have to say 132 pds lighter that it was the right choose.

There were days that I would not get out of the bed, or even dress if I did. So please let the bad thoughts go and keep in mind that this will be one of the best things that you could ever do for yourself and your family.

Goodluck

I felt so stupid post-surgery. I had so much trouble with post-op swelling, I felt so foolish for having done this to myself. I knew I should have listened to my pre-surgery jitters!!!! Now, almost 6 months later (???!!! WOW) and 30 pounds lighter, I don't regret my band in the least. My weight loss is right about average I guess. What's that? 5 pounds a month? Certainly not spectacular, but very good. Nope, love my band. You will, too. You should be scared. It's scary for Pete's sake!!!!! Then you go do what you gotta do and own it. Make it work. You can do it! You WILL do it!!! Peace. It is well with your soul.

Its normal to want to talk yourself out of it so go by what your heart is telling you.

I'm gonna be scared too... ***HUG***

It makes me feel better knowing that my doubts are par for the course. It has really been stressing me out and the closer it comes the more nervous I get.

It's nice to know that I am not the only one.

I know it's a tool and won't work by itself but did you all fear that the band wouldn't work for you?

Totally normal to be freaked out! This is a life altering decision you are making. But it's altering it in a good way! Hang in there! It'll be over before you know it! Even though my weight loss has been slow, I don't regret my decision in the least!

I thought I was going to wear a hole in my carpet from pacing. I knew it was the right thing, even though I turned out to be incredibly slow in losing weight. I have almost 50 NVS, which averages 8 NVS a week. 4 pounds gone since May, but about 33 NSVs since May.

what you are experiencing is normal. I talked to the counslor about it at my apt. She said you would not be normal if you didnt have some anxiety about having surgery.

On the way to get the band, i told my mom. If i dont make it you better finish Holly (my puppy i show who is AWESOME at 10 months almost has her AKC championship) I told her where i wanted my ashes spread and so on. It is normal, i think i freaked her out 100% as she was driving.

I had surgery at 815am, was awake at 930am, driking Water as soon as i was awake. up and walking at about 1030 and out the door to go home at 11am, home at 1130 and took a nap on my stomach.

You will be just fine.

I was standing in the bathroom with my booty hanging out of the hospital gown...and all of the sudden I had the overwelming urge to run out the bathroom door and not stop until my car was pealing out of the parking lot. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then I came to my senses...remembered the 100,000 reasons that I needed this little band. I took a deep breath and walked into the pre-op room....no regrets!! Then I almost cried because I found out that I almost didn't get the band, because my old gall bladder surgery had fused my liver to the top of my stomach with scar tissue. Dr. Benavides was of course able to do it. Talk about an emitional day. Dang...I am so long winded to say...you are acting exactly like you should!

I do have so many reasons for wanting this surgery. I have to do this for me and my family. I can do this... I think I am just afraid of the unknown... or maybe of failing again.

The support you all have given me reminds me that I am not alone on this journey.

Thanks for the advice, it truly helps.

This is not a newer thread but I wanted to respond because I feel the exact same way. It is very encouraging to read all the responses. I have been wanting this for about a year, and have been semi-obsessed with working out all the details for about 3 months. Now that I have the financing (self-pay) and have a date set I am having second thoughts. BIG second thoughts. I think it must be normal when facing such a major decision, but it doesnt alleviate my doubts and fears knowing that. I keep telling myself that all the hundreds and thousands of successful and happy bandsters before me probably felt the same feelings, and that this period of self-doubt over the surgery is just a normal occurance. Yet.....the "scared, am i doing the right thing, what i dont wake up from anethsesia, what if it doesnt work, what if i dont lose weight, is my weight issue really worth this much money, etc...." dialogue keeps running through my head. I love that I have found this site where others can say YES, it is worth it. YES, I was scared also. YES, We are here for you and understand.

I have been reading posts here everyday and it is what is keeping me motivated and reassured. Thanks to everyone for that.