Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor buddy up please

I am looking for a buddy,

I just started the official process of getting a lap band SELF PAY. Any knowledge and experience would be helpful.

I have struggled w/ weight issues my entire life, I am finally taking the plunge to a permanent solution.

Hello buddy if i can help i will be glad to buddy up with you if possible , so what is self pay. I have struggled all my life with weight. Even with the lapband I have to remember it is a slow process my doctor says. thats why he wanted me to do gastric but i didn't feel comfortable with it

ucdep99

Hi Thanks for your response. How long ago did you get the band?

Self Pay is that I am paying out of pocket myself. My insurance does not cover ANY weight loss issue of any kind.

I just had my psychological exam last evening that went fine, there are a half dozen more steps I have to take including pulmonary exam & nutritional counseling, but I still do not have an official date... I am thinking September sometime.

Hello there! Congrats on taking the steps to get healthy. I also need a buddy. I am not self pay thank goodness. I start my preop diet on Sept 3rd and my surgery is set for Sept 8th which seems like a lifetime away. Keep us posted!!

Hi, Pjoy! I too was self-pay since my insurance policy has a written exclusion for any weight loss surgery. It's okay though because my monthly payment on the financing is less than my monthly drug copays were costing me and I no longer take any medications at all! Can you tell I'm pleased I went forward with this?

Self-pay usually gets into surgery quicker than someone covered by insurance because once you've done the pre-op testing, there is no waiting for the insurance company to approve you. I had my first doctor visit on 1/2 and surgery on 2/10. Not bad!

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm always glad to try.

TZN: I am thinking I might have the surgery about the same time as you, that is what I am shooting for anyway... We will have to keep in touch!!! Where are you located? I am in NW suburbs Chicago.

Cathy: I hear you about the payment plan...I am going to pay outright a portion of it & put the other half on my credit card at 7% interest... I really don't care, it will get paid off eventually. I've heard you spend a lot less on food.

Congrats on 70# down in 6 months???? that is incredibly awesome.

Hi there!! Yes we do need to keep in touch , so no surgery date yet ? Here's crossing my fingers that you get it really really soon. I am located in the DFW Texas area. So do you plan on doing a blog or anything? I was thinking about it but I am still having a difficult time admitting I have a weight problem and to put it out there where people can see everything is still a bit scary. Keep me posted!!

Hi, I am contemplating lap-band surgery on a self-pay basis. This buddy idea is great! I live in Minnesota and am thinking about traveling to Colorado for surgery with Dr. Kirshenbaum--anyone else going through this?

I had surgery on July 13, 2009, so I am new to this too. I will be happy to be someone's buddy. I was self pay $12,900 no tests. My husband and I went to seminar on Saturday and I asked for Monday surgery since I was self pay it happend that way. I suffer from extreme anxiety so I wanted to get it over with before I worried myself sick. I had already done alot of research before seminar just had to find a Dr I liked.

wow, that is super fast on the surgery! how are you doing now?

I am doing really good. I am 3½ weeks post op. Next week I go for a Dr. visit and a fill. I have only lost 15 lbs, but hope after fill it might pick up. Surgery is not bad at all and I am chicken of all Drs and hospitals,

Wow 123: you had your surgery after 3 days???? I am self pay but they are making me go thru all sorts of tests and stuff. One thing I am annoyed by is that they are insisting on me going to a sleep study.... I think its a racket!

They have an interest in the sleep study place, I will not go!! I hope that doesn't stop them from letting me get the surgery. I can be stubborn like that.

So how is it going for you then????

michelle... i thought about going to CO too, because its so inexpensive. I changed my mind & thought I just want to be close to home when I am having something done like that. lost of people travel tho so....

all of the hospitals i researched around minnesota wanted to do the sleep study thing too--but that was only when covered by insurance. i'm surprised they're pressing so much on a self-pay client. i'm very nervous to travel out of state for surgery but is a difference of $6k-$10k and i am not independently wealthy:rolleyes: my employer is united healthcare and the healthplan is not very good/excludes a lot---i'm surprised how many people go to mexico!

Wow 123: you had your surgery after 3 days???? I am self pay but they are making me go thru all sorts of tests and stuff. One thing I am annoyed by is that they are insisting on me going to a sleep study.... I think its a racket!

They have an interest in the sleep study place, I will not go!! I hope that doesn't stop them from letting me get the surgery. I can be stubborn like that.

So how is it going for you then????

YES! Went to seminar on Saturday moring had surgery 6:00 am Monday morning, home by 4:00 pm Monday afternoon. It was fast and that way I did not have to get anxiety. When my husband and I were meeting alone with Surgeon he said he approved me based on previous medical test being done over the years. He said when did I want to do it? I said Monday he said okay. My husband turned pale white, he thought he would have time to get use to the idea. But I am doing fine and very happy I did it.

Is it just me or is everyone else chomping at the bit wanting the surgery like....NOW!!. I know Sept 8th is not that far off but maybe some miracle will happen and someone cancels leaving a spot for me to do it earlier? Maybe they will call and say oooooh we meant August 8th come see us in the morning.... or... maybe this along with my hopes at winning the lottery and getting a free breast lift/tummytuck at the end of all this is a bit too much to ask? lol I'm just sayin :scared2: