Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different types of protein?

I'm pre op and wondering if there's any difference in taste in the different Protein powders that are out there. I ordered some samples of Unjury(?). Any preferences?

Thanks for sharing!:thumbdown:

Trust me, there is a wide range of flavors. Take chocolate, for example. A chocolate Protein shake in 5 brands, one will taste much more chocolately, one will have a creamier texture, one will taste like crap (LOL) and one will taste a little weak.

Try the Unjry samples (I've heard their products are good, though expensive). If you have a GNC, I've been told they often can sample you in the store with a few choices. What I like may be less than appealing to you and vice-versa, so you really do have to go by the trial and error. For my pre-op, I used a whey Protein Shake from my doctor's office. They suggested mixing it with Water or skim milk. I tried it with Water first. Nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth. Then mixed it with skim milk and OMG the difference was incredible.

oh, yes, there is a significant difference in taste!!

i've tried soy and whey Proteins, and i prefer whey, so i'll skip over discussing the soy products.

i've tried GNC amp brand, unjury unflavored, vanilla, chocolate, and chicken Soup, Atkins rtd chocolate, labrada chocolate and vanilla ice cream rtd, Isopure, and a couple others i can't think of right now. the absolute BEST tasting "shake" type one i've tried is the GNC amp vanilla. it truly has a vanilla shake flavor. the Unjury chicken Soup isn't bad, either, just don't smell it if you can help it. the unjury unflavored is okay, just cuz you can add it to just about anything. the labrada rtd was okay, but i had to add ice and mix it in my bullet, cuz it tends to get this thickness to it. the atkins cafe caramel one i tried this week tastes good, but i have trouble ever finishing it. the isopures are okay, because they don't have the chalky, milky texture, but some of them are horribly sweet, like highly concentrated gatorade or something.

overall, unjury's a good one, but at little difficult to mix, i think. and the smell. :thumbdown:

what's important is that you find something that you'll actually drink. but i understand that at $30 a container, and $3 a rtd, it gets really expensive to NOT like something!

good luck in your Protein hunt!

Thanks so much for the advice. Think I'll make a trip to GNC soon.

Hi Jen

May i suggest Muscle Milk from GNC. I tried quite a few different ones, but these are simply the best tasting. Right now I am drinkin one called Orange Creme, mix with skim milk and some crushed ice and it tastes just like an orange creamsicle! GNC has a great policy that if you dont like it you can exchange it, so that made me feel better as they are large containers. You wouldnt belive the flavors they have! It was the first time since my surgery that I actually felt hungry reading the labels!lol

banana Cream, cookiesn' cream, creme brule, rocky road, choc pecan ect.

Hope it helps

Cheers!

Hi Kev,

I must say you look awfully happy drinking that shake. And all those flavors... Almost makes me look forward to the liquids/shakes period of 2 1/2 wks (for my doc)! Thanks so much for your input. Cheers!

Lol

Actually that pic was taken in Cambodia, they are called happy shakes, wish i could legally buy them here lol

Good Luck eh!

Hmm, happy shakes? Sounds like fun!! Cambodia is already on my travel list and now I have one more good reason to go there :wink2:

I like vanilla unjury alot, haven't tried other flavors yet. I noticed that somebody mentioned that it is hard to mix. I encountered that as well when hand mixing, yuck!! When I busted out my mixing wand (hand blender stick thingys) it whipped it up to a creamy frothy shake in 10 seconds. I even like it with just Water. I mix it in a quart mason jar so that it doesn't spill everywhere. Mmm good...

I use herbalife shake they cost about $1.50 each . I mix 10 oz of 1%milk with 2 scoops Protein 1 scoop vanilla , 1 scoop chocolate that gives me 32 grms protein and it lasts me half the day . I dink a 2 oz shot every hour . If anyone wants some let me know my father in law sells herbalife. i am very picky and they are the only shakes I will drink , tastes much better than slim fast . good luck to all.

I'm curious... Anyone out there tried Hemp Protein yet?

Hemp Protein? Sounds like it would just make me more hungry! lol

That was funny.... No, I haven't heard of hemp Protein myself. Still testing the Proteins. Liked the Carnation sugar free instant Breakfast, but I did mix it with a bunch of other things. Unjury unflavored mixed with coffee and 1% milk whipped up in a blender was yummy! Bet the chocolate woiuld be, too.

Hemp Protein? Sounds like it would just make me more hungry! lol

afraid it's not the "fun" part of the plant... hehe

i'm curious about it. think i'll give it a try. found a store that carries it, so i'll pick some up and report back.

That was funny.... No, I haven't heard of hemp Protein myself. Still testing the Proteins. Liked the Carnation sugar free instant breakfast, but I did mix it with a bunch of other things. Unjury unflavored mixed with coffee and 1% milk whipped up in a blender was yummy! Bet the chocolate woiuld be, too.

I love the chocolate carnation instant breakfast - it's delish, but one packet only has 5g protein in it so it's not necessarily a good protein source.

I've tried a few generic brands - Walmart, meijer, etc and the taste just doesn't do it for me. I emailed cytosport and they will send you samples if you just email and ask, so I'm waiting to get my samples before making a final decision because some of them are just so expensive! I've heard enough good raves about Muscle Milk though that I think I'll end up settling on Muscle Milk Light.

Just a quick tip, my favorite way to spice up a vanilla Protein Drink is to add 1/2 of a crystal light sunrise orange packet. It makes it taste like a orangesicle and is great.

I have been using whey Protein from trader joes. I really like the vanilla. I like it two ways. I really can't stand it plain. the first week of liquids only I would put a teaspoon of almond extract. Very yummy!! Once I was on mushies I started putting a little bit of fruit. 3 strawberries or half a banana turned it from a Protein Shake to a really tasty smoothy. I have even got my kids hooked. They always want smoothies. I used to make them with yogurt now I use two scoops of vanilla protein, one banana and a few strawberries and 8 oz of fat free milk. It makes a full blender and the kids love it!!

I am just wondering, do you think adding fruit to my shakes is a good idea? I don't see a nutritionist so I am making this up on my own as far as what to eat.

Michelle