Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different types of protein?

I just thought of something else to share with everyone. I have discovered the special k Protein lemonade packets. It is like the crystal light packets you put into your waterbottle. It tastes like crystal light but you get 5 g of protein. I have been drinking one a day as a way to get a little extra boost of protein.

Michelle

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Just got home fr hospital today-banded yesterday. Having some pain, but I guess that happens when someone cuts you open several times.lol My band won't be tightened for 6 wks, so everything's going down fine now. Finding these shakes, Jello, etc. very sweet. I guess putting in something less sweet like strawberries could calm that. Anyone have other ideas?Oh-had GNC "cookies and cream" tonight with milk. It's really cookie dough and way too sweet for me! And I'm definitely a sweets person!

You can get Body Choice Protein Shots from costco in berry and Orange Sunshine Flavors - each shot is 25g of Protein and they are concentrated so the shot is only 2.9 fl oz. They are $19 for a twelve pack - I start each day so I get off to a good start on meeting my protein requirements. Taste ok , but I notice I feel better when I start off this way in the beginning of the day.

Of course there's also Isopure which comes in a bunch of flavors (40g of protein) they are all fruity and not bad if you drink them really cold.

I am currently looking for some high protein broth - if you know where to get it let me know!

Thanks, Supermom. I'll definitely try those shots. That'll be a lot of help. I'm having so much trouble trying to stick to shakes, Jello, popsicles, broth, etc.:thumbup:

I finally tried the Muscle Milk. It was the Cookies n'cream flavor which I was a little unsure about - usually the more tasty they try to make things, the nastier - but this was absolutely delicious! I tried it with both skim milk mixed in, and once with just Water and it tasted fabulous. It tasted more like a milkshake than a Protein Shake, and I couldn't taste the Protein granules that usually turn me off. Plus it has tooooons of protein.

If you go to cytosport.com and send them an email requesting samples, they will send you free samples in the mail and even pay the shipping. I'm going to buy a big thing of it next time I go to GNC.< /p>

I am just wondering, do you think adding fruit to my shakes is a good idea? I don't see a nutritionist so I am making this up on my own as far as what to eat.

Michelle

I would check with your surgeon to be sure, but it should be fine...or at least my surgeon was all for it when I suggested it at my last appt. Some fruits are actually a Protein source as well and can give you that added boost.For example: Frozen peaches have 2g Protein. I use mostly frozen because they make my shakes a little more like shakes without a ton of ice to Water them down...and because the nutritional information is all spelled out for me on the package so I don't have to guess. Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Good to know about the Muscle Milk and adding fruit, too. Maybe I'll pick up some of the MM when I go to return that God awful GNC Cookies and cream Protein Powder. Anyone know if you can get those prot shots anywhere besides costco? I can get to one, but it's a little drive for me. Tried Whole Foods. No go.:juggle:

If you go to cytosport.com and send them an email requesting samples, they will send you free samples in the mail and even pay the shipping.

Is there a link you click on or something? I couldn't find any mention of this on their site...I even tried the search option. Maybe I'm just being an airhead??? lol Thanks!

Is there a link you click on or something? I couldn't find any mention of this on their site...I even tried the search option. Maybe I'm just being an airhead??? lol Thanks!

I'm not sure if they mention that they give away free samples - I happened to find out from a bodybuilding forum when I searched for reviews on muscle milk. Anywho just go to CytoSport, and at the bottom left corner there is a tiny link for "contact." I just sent them an email telling them I'm incorporating Protein Shakes into my daily routine and was wondering if they could send samples. I also told them I'm specifically looking for high Protein, low carb drinks. I included my address in my signature, and within 2 days a representative wrote me back saying they would send samples. They sent 4 big packets of different kinds of Protein shakes, and each packet I split in 2 because it was too much to drink at once.

If I wouldn't have got the sample, I really don't know if I would have paid the money otherwise to buy it and try it.

I'm not sure if they mention that they give away free samples - I happened to find out from a bodybuilding forum when I searched for reviews on muscle milk. Anywho just go to CytoSport, and at the bottom left corner there is a tiny link for "contact." I just sent them an email telling them I'm incorporating Protein Shakes into my daily routine and was wondering if they could send samples. I also told them I'm specifically looking for high Protein, low carb drinks. I included my address in my signature, and within 2 days a representative wrote me back saying they would send samples. They sent 4 big packets of different kinds of Protein shakes, and each packet I split in 2 because it was too much to drink at once.

If I wouldn't have got the sample, I really don't know if I would have paid the money otherwise to buy it and try it.

Great! Thanks! I sent them an email so I guess we'll see what happens. Did you like them enough to buy after you'd tried them?

Also, my friend just told me about a Protein Shake she drinks called Body Fortress whey Protein. Has anyone else ever tried/heard of this?

Does anyone have opinions on whey vs soy or is all pretty much the same?

The only Protein Drinks I've really had since this process started are the Medifast ones I bought from my surgeon to do my preop diet, carnation instant Breakfast (if that counts as a protein shake), Special K (the Water & the shakes), and I've tried two flavors of Isopure. So far I haven't really been impressed with any of them without some serious doctoring up. I could really taste the whey in the Isopure and the others were super gritty (the special k Water is tasty though). The Medifast is probably my favorite, but is sooooo expensive and only has 15g of protein.

That's been my problem as well - I've tried about 5 different types and they were all too gritty for my liking. Yes, I liked the Muscle Milk enough to go spend the money on a full-sized container.