Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 6th surgery stories

Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop in to let my July Bandsters know how I made out yesterday. My surgery was scheduled for 0730 - first up! I think the surgeon was a bit late but nevertheless, I was back in recovery at 0850 and left the clinic at 1215. Not bad eh? I felt OK yesterday afternoon, thanks to a couple of percoset, no doubt. Slept on and off all day and managed to sleep in my bed last night although it was a restless sleep.

Gotta say that today I'm sore. Wouldn't describe it as pain (gall stones are painful) this is just very sore. Like some else said in this forum, its like you've done a thousand sit-ups or have been punched inthe gut...that kind of sore. I'm trying to walk every few hours - just around the house but I still have quite a bit of pain around my shoulder blades and collorbone.

I'm not hungry at all and am trying to force myself to get the necessary fluids into me. I had some nausea last night but thankfully only threw up once. That was a bit scary though!

Anyway my friends - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who are getting banded today (Bobbie...let me know how it goes) and for all other July Bandsters.

Take care all,

Mary

Good to hear from you Mary!

I'm glad your surgery went so smoothly, and I hope your recovery goes just as well. Take care!

@mcb- good to hear that everything went smooth for you. I am scheduled for tommorrow 7/8. I am a little anixous, thanks for posting your information was very helpful.

Hello Everyone!

I'm feeling up to it so I thought I'd post my story. It went well! They were also running a bit behind at my location so I was about an hour later than I was supposed to be. The last thing I remember is the surgery tech asking me how tall I was (5'9") and him saying, "you're a tall drink of water". LOL

I woke up coughing and was in recovery. I was really, really nautious but didn't throw up or anything. They were very attentive and got me medicine through the iv right away. I was also in a fair amount of pain from the gas.

It felt, and still feels a bit, like a large person was sitting on my chest and my back. I also managed to get my period this morning, thank you Mother Nature.

They gave me some medicine for that too. After a pretty short time I felt well enough to get up and get dressed and I was on my way. I was amazed at how quickly I truly felt well enough to leave. I was dead set against letting them rush me out the door.

We had a 1 hour and 45 minute drive home and it was pretty good. We stopped once so I could get out and walk around. I took somemore pain medicine. Burping helped me a lot to get the gas out. I would say that at this point I have virtually no more gas pains.

Now, the band site and incisions are another story. Having no prior surgeries I really didn't know what to compare it to. I feel like someone kicked me really, really hard below my breastbone. However, it's managable. I'm comfortable sitting and walking but it's the getting up and down that are hard right now.

So far so good. I'll be thinking about all of my July Jewels this month, keep me updated!!!

Kim:thumbup:

Kim,

Thanks so much for sharing your story! It sounds like you're doing very well! I'm wishing you a continued successful recovery.

Hello July Bandsters! I'm new to the board, but wanted to share my July 6th banding story. The whole experience in the hospital was uneventful and I was on my way home about 4 hours post-op. Last night I slept fairly well and was only up a couple of times (no doubt thanks to the pain meds!). Today I have felt a bit like I've been run over by a truck! I am quite sore and I've had gas pains, but this seems to be finally lessening. I am supposed to get between 60-80g of Protein per day, but I couldn't possibly drink that much right now. I take a few sips and I feel so full that I can't swallow any more. Thankfully, the doctor says for me just to strive to stay well hydrated and to slowly work up the amount of protein I am taking in. But there's no doubt about it ... lap band surgery is "real" surgery and it will take me a while to fully recover. Good luck to everyone else on your jouney!

Glad everyone is doing so well! :-) I go in July 10th (my birthday!!!!)

Will check back once I am home! (will be in for 3-5 days, having an other 'female' type surgery done at the same time!)

Good luck to everyone! :-)

xxx