Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned with my hair loss, anyone else has this problem?

Good information, Noni! Thanks for posting this!

I had hairloss about 3 months post-op also. It has slowed down some, but I still lose a lot of hair. Especially when I'm in the shower, and I "squeeze" it dry, I pull out more hair than Water. I can't take a shower without having to stop and pull hair out of the catch (or whatever that little clog-preventer thing is called). And I'm constantly having to clean out my hairbrush and pick hair up off the bathroom floor. It's not as bad as it was, but it's still bad. Hoping it will continue to get better.

The texture of my hair has also suffered. It's dry & coarse. However, that MAY be because I had to switch to Head & Shoulders after developing dandruff. I wonder if the dandruff is band-related. Hmm... doubt it.

Edited by jlray
Removed quote - too long! :)

Did a google search and found this... Apparently, hair loss happens after any major surgery. Maybe it's not the Protein after all, and maybe lapband is more "major" than I thought.

"Hair loss may occur in patients who undergo major surgery. About three or four months after major surgery or a serious illness, patients may lose a large amount of hair. This type of Hair loss is the result of stress associated with the illness, and the hair loss is often temporary."

Hair Loss Causes – Chemotherapy, Alopecia Areata, Menopause, and After Surgery and Pregnancy

and this...

"Actually, some hair loss is common after any surgery. It's simply a side effect of anesthesia. Here's the way it works. At any given time, about 90% of your hair is in a "growing phase." The other 10% is in a "resting phase." After the hair rests for two or three months, it falls out, and new hair grows in its place. Well, the anesthesia causes more hair than normal, about 30%, to go into the resting phase. So two or three months after surgery, an abnormal amount of hair falls out. This is temporary, though, and the hair grows back without your needing to do anything special."

Hi Emma!!

I started losing hair at 3 months postop as well. I get a lot of Protein in so I don't think that can be the only factor to dictate whether or not we will have Hair loss. I think that the stress and changes our bodies go through with surgery is the main culprit (at least in my case). From what I've read (and I didn't take time to read all the responses here) it is only temporary and the hair will grow back. I guess it's just another one of those things that some people experience and some don't.

Glad to see you are doing so well! Keep in touch.

bambam

I am 3-weeks out from being banded and want to start taking the Zinc supplement to prevent stress related Hair loss. Can anyone recommend a brand?

I have heard the same thing, and told don't worry, the hair will come back. lol. said by the dr. with all his hair.< /strong>

as Noni18 has said

What causes excessive Hair loss?

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.

even our lap bands are major surgery.

Hair problems

Biotin supplements are often recommended as a natural product to counteract the problem of hair loss in both children and adults.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin#Hair_problems

Biotin is widely distributed in a variety of foods, but most often at low concentrations. Estimates are that the typical U.S. diet provides roughly 40 ug/day. There are only a couple of foods which contain biotin in large amounts, including royal jelly and brewer's yeast. The best natural sources of biotin in human nutrition are liver, legume, soybeans, Swiss chard, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and carrots. This includes almonds, eggs, onions, cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, goat's milk, cow's milk, raspberries, strawberries, halibut, oats, and walnuts.

and eat or drink your Protein to stimulate your cells!!!!!

Maybe we could start a photo gallery of our bald spots!! a before and after of course,because it does grow back!

Holly geez! I have such thin hair already.. I mean really thin; and do a lot to cover that up now! I guess a wig for a while might be fun! Who knows.. maybe my husband might like it too : )

Holly geez! I have such thin hair already.. I mean really thin; and do a lot to cover that up now! I guess a wig for a while might be fun! Who knows.. maybe my husband might like it too!:)

at first I was freaking out while reading this cuz as an African American girl, my hair is short to begin with...but I usually wear weaves or get my hair braided so it doesnt matter anymore...and when I think bout it, its just hair..i rather lose hair while losing weight then 2 be fat with alot of hair lmaoo...I think we all will be fine cause it will grow back :)

Edited by MsFab1988

This has been an informative thread.

Have you had your thyroid checked? This can contribute to some Hair loss.< /p>

Hi Emma!!

I started losing hair at 3 months postop as well. I get a lot of Protein in so I don't think that can be the only factor to dictate whether or not we will have Hair loss. I think that the stress and changes our bodies go through with surgery is the main culprit (at least in my case). From what I've read (and I didn't take time to read all the responses here) it is only temporary and the hair will grow back. I guess it's just another one of those things that some people experience and some don't.

Glad to see you are doing so well! Keep in touch.

bambam

First of all, Barb, it looks like you have been doing great with weight loss. Congrats! I have been stuck with the same weight for past 6 weeks (very depressing). My hair loss still has not slowed down which got me very concerned as well.

Since this is supposed to be temporary, I really hope it would stop soon and my hair would grow back.

Emma -

You've done great too!! Sorry the last 6 weeks have been hard - it's frustrating not to see the scale move. Remember to keep looking at your measurements when the scale doesn't budge. Don't let the scale be your only definition of success.

My Hair loss is slowing, still losing it, but slowing. If you haven't talked with your doctor about it maybe you can call his office.I know "Are you having hair loss?" is a question I see on every form I fill out at my followup visits , so I think they anticipate it. You may want to find out what your doc suggests for a supplement, if any, I really don't know anythig about them. I've just kept plugging away and making sure I get my Protein in, knowing it will eventually stop.

Have you tried increasing your calories by 100-200 a day or so if you are really active? Maybe your calorie count is too low. Or maybe just switching your foods if you tend to eat the same thing most of the time. Those were suggestions my nutritionist gave me when I had a slow period and it worked.

Keep me updated!!

I am 6 months post op and have been losing hair for about 2 months now. I was told exactly what the PP posted about surgery and Hair loss. My Dr said it will thin for about 2-3 months then grow back fuller than it was before.

Don't worry, this is normal..my loss has slowed down in the last week!

Have you had your thyroid checked? This can contribute to some Hair loss.< /div>

Yes I just got my thyroid and Iron level checked out last week. It turned both results are fine. I don't have a thyroid problem.