Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People saying I'm too thin....need support

Hello,

I have recently had people at work tell me they think I am too thin and have been telling my husband that as well. Now they have him concerned and he is bothering me about it.

I am in the normal BMI range with a BMI of 22. I am 5'8" and weigh 145. I feel very healthy and at an appropriate weight. I work out moderatly - 5x/week for about 40 minutes. I eat a wide variety of foods and take my supplements.

My feelings are getting hurt and I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with this and how have you dealt with it? My husband is overweight as are many of the people I work with. I think we are just used to seeing people heavy and that when you are in the normal range you look thin.

I am guessing they are also used to seeing me heavy and that this is all a change for them. Please let me know what you say to people and has anyone else had problems with this?

thank you ,

michelle

Alot of us WISH we had your problem! Seriously though...if you feel like you are eating and exercising sensibly and that is the "magic" number that is easy for you to maintain, I wouldn't give what others say a second thought. What is most important is how you feel and if you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle and relationship with food and exercise.

I have to agree with you that many people aren't used to seeing you of normal weight and think it's too much (that you've lost).

Don't worry about what other people say...it's really none of their business and every bit of yours. Don't allow other people's opinions to determine what you feel is your appropriate weight. At your stats, it doesn't sound like your anorexic or anything. Just rejoice in the fact that you were able to take the weight off and live a healthier and happier life free of the shackles of obesity.

Be PROUD of yourself! :rolleyes2:

I would say that with a BMI of 22 you are “normal” and not too thin at all. Maybe a real test is in order? Go to your doctor and have some blood work done. I’m sure that you will find good things like normal cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides and blood sugar. Use this data to prove to them and yourself that you not only feel healthy but are healthy in terms of actual medical tests not just what their “eyes” or maybe jealousy is telling them.

Hello,

I have recently had people at work tell me they think I am too thin and have been telling my husband that as well. Now they have him concerned and he is bothering me about it.

I am in the normal BMI range with a BMI of 22. I am 5'8" and weigh 145. I feel very healthy and at an appropriate weight. I work out moderatly - 5x/week for about 40 minutes. I eat a wide variety of foods and take my supplements.

My feelings are getting hurt and I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with this and how have you dealt with it? My husband is overweight as are many of the people I work with. I think we are just used to seeing people heavy and that when you are in the normal range you look thin.

I am guessing they are also used to seeing me heavy and that this is all a change for them. Please let me know what you say to people and has anyone else had problems with this?

thank you ,

michelle

I get the same thing and I'm a BMI of 20. Remember, a BMI of 18.5-24.9 is normal and healthy.

I think people say these things for two reasons, one is that 2/3 of the population today is overweight or obese, the healthy BMIers truly are the minority. People no longer recognize a healthy weight anymore.

Also, I have noticed that those who tell me I am too thin are overweight themselves. It's a hard pill to swallow when you see someone that was able to lose weight and you can't.

I wouldn't let it hurt my feelings, life is too short. Let them deal with their stuff in their own time.

Hello,

thank you ,

michelle

You know 9 yrs ago I was in High School and it was around my Senior Prom, I had gotten sooooo sick I lost 48 lbs in 2 months! so I was weighing 151. I am 5'8 so I would get told the same things! You dont look good anymore....You look sick now....

I dont know if it is just that we are tall, but I mean 150-140 is not really that thin......

OMG who understands these people!

Dont let that get to you! PLEASE DONT!

If you feel good that is all that matters!

I let it get to me, and 9 years later I am at 241 lbs! :rolleyes2:

Wishing I was back at at least 160....:crying:.

You tell them that this the way You feel good and that you are HEALTHY! They were just so used to seeing you so overweight htat now that you are not they dont know how to react, its Human nature..... Just Blow them off.....

Best Wishes:wink:

Well, we're in the same boat, I'm 5ft 10 and 150. I also run for about 40 minutes five days a week - quite moderate and I've cut back on doing quite so much as what i was doing when I was losing. I just do it now to stay fit, stay at this weight so whilst I love my running, I keep it to a sensible portion of my life with a time commitment that fits round working etc.

I eat all foods, I eat pretty healthy, I'm certainly not afraid to indulge in a treat every now and then. I dont journal, calorie count or obsess over food.

TOTALLY healthy lifestyle and it pisses me off when people say I'm too thin or obsessive.

But you know, its only really been on here by people that dont know me and cant see me! We've had huge fights on this, lol. My mother gets a bit worried though, despite being thin herself. And my middle sister is extremely petite.

I really do think its because people are used to seeing people in general heavier - a BMI of 30 or above is probably MORE common these days and in particular they're used to seeing YOU heavy.

Americans are fatter now than they were 30 years ago. When I see teen girls now, they are almost always WAY heavier than I was as a teen (5'2"/120 lbs. and I was called the "fat" cheerleader). Depending on which state you live in, it might be very "normal" to see overweight/obese people. Take the naysayers comments in stride and forget about it. If your husband continues to give you grief even after you've told him that you're perfectly healthy--or after the doctor's given you the thumbs up, then I'd start wondering why he's trying to undermine your success?

Here's a link to CDC data on BMI rates for each state (I find stuff like that interesting):

BRFSS Prevalence and Trends Data - List of All States

I'm with everyone else here.

These people are *not* medical professionals, aren't they?

They have no access to your medical records, right?

Tell them to bugger off and leave your poor, concerned husband alone. Then take him to visit your doctor, and let him have a heart-to-heart talk about what constitutes "healthy", with someone who knows what they're talking about.

The MetLife table bases weight calculation on 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for each inch over 5 feet. At 5'8", 140 is the baseline weight for you. Your normal weight range is likely 140 - 160. Just ignore them. There may be a little jealousy in it but you are more likely right on the money that it is perception. They see you as so much smaller than before and it's hard to get used to. Heck, I've lost 70 pounds so far and it's hard for me to get used to that!

Michelle

Im also 5'9" and my goal is to get to 145...Maybe I need to rethink this too. My husband says he does not want me skinny, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what 155 and then 150 look like. I have small bones too so I will have to wait. I have finally broken the 180's and I'm thrilled!!.

Good luck to you and stay where you are comfortable and just ignore the people saying that you are too thin.

Bernadette

Im also 5'9" and my goal is to get to 145...Maybe I need to rethink this too. My husband says he does not want me skinny, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what 155 and then 150 look like. I have small bones too so I will have to wait. I have finally broken the 180's and I'm thrilled!!.

by "not skinny", I presume your husband means "not bony", rather than "well padded", right? :P

My surgeon would simply say to listen to your body and it'll decide what's appropriate and healthy, regardless of what anyone else (including, perhaps, medical professionals) might say.

I get the same thing and I'm a BMI of 20. Remember, a BMI of 18.5-24.9 is normal and healthy.

I think people say these things for two reasons, one is that 2/3 of the population today is overweight or obese, the healthy BMIers truly are the minority. People no longer recognize a healthy weight anymore.

Also, I have noticed that those who tell me I am too thin are overweight themselves. It's a hard pill to swallow when you see someone that was able to lose weight and you can't.

I wouldn't let it hurt my feelings, life is too short. Let them deal with their stuff in their own time.

I agree. Sometimes misery loves company. Be proud of what you have accomplished and if it is good for you then it is good period.:P

Hey- I work for a vet. I know that we aren't dogs!! LOL But, most of our patients that we see are overweight labs, golden retrievers, chihuahuas and pugs. When we mention to the owners that their pets are "overweight" they are very offended and say that they are "healthy" & very "loved". However, when we actually see a pet with an "hourglass" figure, people automatically assume that they are too skinny, have worms or even neglected!! We(society) are so used to seeing overweight pets & then the second we see a pet with a figure, we just assume they are unhealthy.(What's wrong with that dog??) At the hospital, we always have to remind the owners that it's so much healthier for them to weigh less due to hip dysplasia, arthritis, and even diabetes in dogs!!

Trust me, I am very guilty of my own overweight dog!! I want to give him extra treats cause I feel like I don't spend enough time with him. But, when I go to work & see the overweight/obese pets who can't walk into clinic without being in pain or severely panting, I think it's time to hold the treats. I have to remind myself & our clients we are actually giving them longer happier lives by taking them for walks instead. My dog has currently lost 11 lbs. Looking great & I can tell he's feeling better!! He doesn't stop & sit down on the last stretch anymore!! LOL :redface:

So, for you to be on the "Normal" side of the BMI. You Go Girl!! :biggrin: Congrats!!

Look them straight in the eye and say, "Bite Me." No, you can say "My doctor said my weight is perfect. I think he knows best." Then say bite me.