Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is a Long Long Shot but I need help with financing....

I have good credit. Like in the 615's not great but not bad. I am trying to have surgery before I end up tipping the scales past 256.... I have tried to apply for care credit, surgeryloans.com, etc. but no one will finance because I have too many inquiries. I have tried with co signer (mom, dad) but they have worse credit than I do. I want to know if there is any one out there who is willing to co-sign for me. I know its a huge risk and I have a likely chance of zero but I am desperate and insurance said no twice and I can't seem to get it on my own. If it helps any I have a great job and work overtime and very dependable we could even make a contract to make sure it doesn't hurt your credit. I would do anything for help from fellow members or if you know someone. Plz last resort. Email me if you would like @ brenpren07@yahoo.com.....Thanks much!!!

I have good credit. Like in the 615's not great but not bad. I am trying to have surgery before I end up tipping the scales past 256.... I have tried to apply for care credit, surgeryloans.com, etc. but no one will finance because I have too many inquiries. I have tried with co signer (mom, dad) but they have worse credit than I do. I want to know if there is any one out there who is willing to co-sign for me. I know its a huge risk and I have a likely chance of zero but I am desperate and insurance said no twice and I can't seem to get it on my own. If it helps any I have a great job and work overtime and very dependable we could even make a contract to make sure it doesn't hurt your credit. I would do anything for help from fellow members or if you know someone. Plz last resort. Email me if you would like @ brenpren07@yahoo.com.....Thanks much!!!

It's not that you have too many inquiries that is causing people to not finance your surgery it is that finance companies are requiring a credit score of around 700 before they will loan money in this economy.

If someone has great credit they worked for that credit score. Nobody that has worked hard for their credit score is going to cosign for a total stranger. I mean, think about it, the finance companies won't extend a loan, why would a stranger?

If you can't get a loan your next option is to borrow against retirement, life insurance, sell off personal items such as computer, car, stereo, cell phones, etc. If that doesn't do it you are looking at saving until you have enough for surgery.

I am dealing with the same situaton. I have good credit, but I burned up about 5 inquiries to get a loan just in the last week so obviously that hurts my score. Here's a suggestion... obviously if you have a credit score, than you have some credit somewhere. Do you have credit cards? Pay at least 21% of your balance (your score will go up once you have debt below 79% of your limit). Pay off anything you can as quick as you can. Wait 30 days after all of this is done and then check your credit score again, it should have gone up, and you should be in a good position to try again since you will have less debt. If you work as much as you say you do, you should be able to put that money towards your debt. It will be faster than saving for the entire surgery on your own! And DO NOT make any more inquires UNTIL YOU GET YOUR SCORE UP.... I am in the process of doing this right now... the higher the score and the less debt, the better the chance you have of being approved. :) Good luck!!!

Thanks for replies. I have confided in my aunt who has had gastric weight loss surgery. I am really shy when it comes to personal issues/problems so I usually just figure them out on my own without involving family becuase they tend to make a bigger deal out of what it really is. She said she is happy to see me do this she was planning on talking to me about it. I told her my situation and asked her if she could help me save and while she said she would'nt be able to co-sign at this time she knows a doctor where I can get it below 9000 in dallas. SHe is a nurse director and has connections. So in the end I am glad I asked for help from her know I just have to save up enough money and get it down as soon as I finish saving....Thanks Lots.:thumbup:

It's not that you have too many inquiries that is causing people to not finance your surgery it is that finance companies are requiring a credit score of around 700 before they will loan money in this economy.

If someone has great credit they worked for that credit score. Nobody that has worked hard for their credit score is going to cosign for a total stranger. I mean, think about it, the finance companies won't extend a loan, why would a stranger?

If you can't get a loan your next option is to borrow against retirement, life insurance, sell off personal items such as computer, car, stereo, cell phones, etc. If that doesn't do it you are looking at saving until you have enough for surgery.

Brenda,

Try your insurance company again and find a new doctor that will help you. I used to work for an insurance company so I know that if the doctor does and says the right things the insurance company will usually pick up some percentage of it. They have a stake in your health believe me. Since they have already denied you a couple of times you will need to use the appeal division of the Insuance Company but you need to find people that are willing to support you and help you through this process. Start looking and find a doctor that is in the know and can help you with the insurance. Look in your area for seminars for Lapbands and go to all of them until you find someone that knows how to help you get the the financing you need. You should not let it keep you from getting healthy.:thumbup:

Thanks for replies. I have confided in my aunt who has had gastric weight loss surgery. I am really shy when it comes to personal issues/problems so I usually just figure them out on my own without involving family becuase they tend to make a bigger deal out of what it really is. She said she is happy to see me do this she was planning on talking to me about it. I told her my situation and asked her if she could help me save and while she said she would'nt be able to co-sign at this time she knows a doctor where I can get it below 9000 in dallas. SHe is a nurse director and has connections. So in the end I am glad I asked for help from her know I just have to save up enough money and get it down as soon as I finish saving....Thanks Lots.:thumbup:

If you can put together $9K in the US, what about $6500 in Mexico? They have done more bands collectively than the US docs have.

Brenda,

Try your insurance company again and find a new doctor that will help you. I used to work for an insurance company so I know that if the doctor does and says the right things the insurance company will usually pick up some percentage of it. They have a stake in your health believe me. Since they have already denied you a couple of times you will need to use the appeal division of the Insuance Company but you need to find people that are willing to support you and help you through this process. Start looking and find a doctor that is in the know and can help you with the insurance. Look in your area for seminars for Lapbands and go to all of them until you find someone that knows how to help you get the the financing you need. You should not let it keep you from getting healthy.:thumbup:

I wish this was true but when it comes to WLS it isn't. It's a different premium that you have to pay and if it's excluded, it IS excluded.

There was a woman that contacted me about a year ago, she weighs 600#. She has ins, but WLS is excluded. She tried everything, she has every comorbidity (heart disease, HPT, kidney damage, diabetes, severe edema, you name it, she has it), I put her in touch with a WLS ins guru who knows every trick in the book and it was fruitless. She just gained more weight fighting it. She hired an attorney to fight it and just spent about $750 fighting a fruitless battle.

Ins will pay to replace joints, meds for high blood pressure, insulin for diabetes, they'll pay a LOT more money than needed to fix the problems of obesity but if your boss doesn't pay that WLS premium then they will not cover it.

If you can put together $9K in the US, what about $6500 in Mexico? They have done more bands collectively than the US docs have.

But if she goes to Mexico, she still has to pay for the air fare and hotel and food expenese. Those also add up on top of the $6500. Plus, no one will be there to take care of her after the surgery. At hometown, at least Mom and Dad could take care of her for a couple of days after the surgery.

Actually it's pretty crazy... the $6500 covers ALL transportation and hotel fees... EVERYTHING! I've looked at it.

But if she goes to Mexico, she still has to pay for the air fare and hotel and food expenese. Those also add up on top of the $6500. Plus, no one will be there to take care of her after the surgery. At hometown, at least Mom and Dad could take care of her for a couple of days after the surgery.

Depends on where she goes. My doc is in MX and he charges $6500 for the band, the person has to pay their own airfare ($300?) and she would be in the hospital for two nights after surgery. Figure ... $6800 total. There are no hotel expenses. Clinics use hotels. The better doctors work out of actual hospitals.

Even if someone went with her they would stay in her room with her. An extra $300 for airfare and maybe $50 for food. That is $7150. Still MUCH cheaper than the US and a LOT more hospitalization.

The issue here is that she would have to find follow up care BEFORE going to MX for surgery. In my city it is no big deal, some cities have nobody that will do follow up care on anyone they did not operate on.

For what she is looking at spending in the US she could actually have a sleeve in MX and never need routine follow up care. That is another option.

Actually it's pretty crazy... the $6500 covers ALL transportation and hotel fees... EVERYTHING! I've looked at it.

It really is a good deal. You can't go to just anyone in MX but you can't go to just anyone in the US either. You have to do your research.

US: $9K on up, usually much higher

MX: $6500

US: Surgery is done on an outpatient basis usually

MX: Two nights of hospitalization

US: Less experienced surgeons usually (MX has been banding people for 18 years, US is 8 years so obviously, they are going to be more experienced typically since they have been doing it 10 years longer)

MX: Harder to find after care

There are pros and cons to anything, people have to research and find their comfort level.

If you are still considering the credit route I have a few pointers:

To increase your score- DONT pay off everything--big mistake. You need active credit. To get some active credit, secured credit cards are very good and anybody can get one. There is one with Orchard bank (www.orchardbank.com) and when you get the card keep the balance slightly below 50% (just use it on everyday stuff, you know). I recommend Orchard becaue they report to all 3 credit bureau's more than once a month and this means your score will rise very quickly. If you are not familiar with secured credit cards- google it first so you will have a better understanding before you get it.

Also, if you have family members who have had credit cards (secured or unsecured) for years with a great payment history; have them add you as an authorized user. Tell them to destroy the card when it comes in the mail and not to give you any account information so they will be sure that you cant use the actual card. Instantly your credit reports will show that you have had card "X" for "Y" amount of years- and boost your scores. And you dont need to use the card, you just need it to show on your reports.

By the way- I dont work for orchard bank I work in real estate and believe it or not a 615 is not a bad score. You can buy a home with a 620. Anywho we work with people needing credit repair (and they pay for this info) but I figured I would share it with you since you are in need of assistance. Any other questions- feel free to ask.

Good luck to you!

Edited by Lilpeach_059
spelling

By the way- I dont work for orchard bank I work in real estate and believe it or not a 615 is not a bad score. You can buy a home with a 620. Anywho we work with people needing credit repair (and they pay for this info) but I figured I would share it with you since you are in need of assistance. Any other questions- feel free to ask.

Good luck to you!

The problem with surgery loans is that they are unsecured loans so your credit has to be higher. A friend of mine is going through this right now. Every single surgery loan company has told her the same thing, for a surgery loan you have to be around 675-700 before they will even consider it. :rolleyes2:(

Honestly, the way I felt after surgery, I couldn't imagine having to sit through a flight back home.

I'd die. I'd choke myself on peanuts.

I was in an ungodly amount of pain after surgery. I was in the hospital for about 8 hrs and didn't feel halfway decent until 8 or so days later....and yes, I was on meds.

I wasn't able to ride in a car comfortably for 2 weeks+.... a plane after 2 days would've put me over the edge.

Everyone's different of course, but these things need to be considered too.

Honestly, the way I felt after surgery, I couldn't imagine having to sit through a flight back home.

I'd die. I'd choke myself on peanuts.

I was in an ungodly amount of pain after surgery. I was in the hospital for about 8 hrs and didn't feel halfway decent until 8 or so days later....and yes, I was on meds.

I wasn't able to ride in a car comfortably for 2 weeks+.... a plane after 2 days would've put me over the edge.

Everyone's different of course, but these things need to be considered too.

Surgeon skill plays a big role in that as well. If your surgeon is inexperienced or simply rough during surgery you are going to have a more difficult recovery. I went shopping two days after my band with no problem whatsoever and after my sleeve revision I went for a long weekend up north within a week post op.

Surgeon skill means everything in the world.

Also, some people just don't do pain well. But I have to say, I never had pain with my band, just sore and uncomfortable and I had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time.

Why would you be eating peanuts 2 days post op?