Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey scalaholics, does this happen to you?

Ok, so I am hooked on my scale, sorry it’s one of my few vices. I’ve seen a weird phenomenon though that I can’t explain and I’m wondering if anybody has an answer to it. I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom and before I drink or eat, that is the number I use for my calculation. I weigh myself at different times of the day too, just to see what it says. Oddly, sometimes right after I urinate the scale may actually be 0.4 to 0.8 lbs higher than before I went. How is that possible:confused:? I just watched all that urine get flushed away, yet I gained half a pound:cursing:? Usually about half an hour to hour later I’m back to pre-pee weight or a little less. Maybe I need a hobby:lol:

I agree , I think you need a hobby.

At the moment I am still stuck in the pattern of weighing myself every morning which I know is bad. Especially when the scales have been stuck all week. Jumping on them several times a day certainly won't help!

Maybe try and focus on how your clothes feel or something else. Or lock your scales away!

It’s not a problem I’m trying to fix, so no need to hide the scale. I just can’t figure out the physics of it (I’m and engineer at heart).

KartMan...would voodoo curse explain it? Because otherwise I'm at a loss. I too am a scalaholic and in fact can ALMOST judge how much weight I am peeing out (yes proud of that! LOL)

Odd, Dude. Really odd.

I don't do that with pee, but when I know I'm getting ready to poop, I hop on the scale and then go back to the scale afterwards.... I guess, one day I'm hoping for a 5lb dump or something... now that's TMI!! LOL

You all are to funny!!! Before I put my scale up I too had morning weigh rituals!!!!

I put my scale up 2 weeks ago and the first couple days were tough, almost like withdraws, but each day did get easier and I still have not weighed. My plan is to wait until July 8th before dinner with the hubby(date night) he doesen't get a day off until then that's why I called it date night!

It has been a liberating feeling to not be chained to the scale. Now once I bring it out and see that I'm no longer in the 3's who knows weather I have it in me to put it back up.

I'll let you know. Until then weigh on my friends!!!!!

:thumbdown: Okay, I admit...I do the same thing. And the same thing happens to me.

I weigh before and after showers, and bathroom breaks...

Sometimes I just chalk it up to the way I stand on the scale or the shift in the universe. :)

I actually put mine away for a week and gained 4 pounds:cursing:! I mentioned this to my psychologist and she said that studies showed that people who weighed every day or every other day were more successful ~~ however, multiple times a day is a bit overkill!! I weigh at the end of each day every other day and have already lost those 4 pounds :thumbdown:!

I am hooked on the scale also...I only weigh in the morning (well once at night too...lol). It's hard not to wake up and want to see if it has gotten any lower. Right now I am just hoping to see under 200.:thumbdown:

Oddly, sometimes right after I urinate the scale may actually be 0.4 to 0.8 lbs higher than before I went. How is that possible:confused:?

It's a mechanical device. Shifting your body can change how it levers against the spring or the sensor, and that can make all the difference. It could also be catching on something internal or external -- is there a bathmat? a countertop? a wall?

This is part of why they'd *like* you to check only weekly. I admit I check most days, but I usually only record once or twice a week unless I'm noticing a slow-down or nearing a milestone (like now, in both cases). I have a nice spreadsheet modelling an idealized weight loss, and I'm checking against that just to see how good it is. Seeing the fluctuations against the whole trend should be good at keeping perspective. :thumbdown:

Interesting-- I do weigh multiple times a day but I haven't tried the before and after pee thing. I never get on before peeing--always after because I expect it to be lower post urination. I might have to check it out and see if the same thing happens to me.

I am addicted to my scale, and I noticed the same thing! It continues to blow my mind that the scale would show me weighing more after using the bathroom.

Lol, DH consistently weighs about a pound less AFTER a shower. And I usually see (or hear) him pee before he gets in, thank goodness. So its not that.

Ok, so I am hooked on my scale, sorry it’s one of my few vices. I’ve seen a weird phenomenon though that I can’t explain and I’m wondering if anybody has an answer to it. I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom and before I drink or eat, that is the number I use for my calculation. I weigh myself at different times of the day too, just to see what it says. Oddly, sometimes right after I urinate the scale may actually be 0.4 to 0.8 lbs higher than before I went. How is that possible:confused:? I just watched all that urine get flushed away, yet I gained half a pound:cursing:? Usually about half an hour to hour later I’m back to pre-pee weight or a little less. Maybe I need a hobby:lol:

My name is heather and I'm a scalaholic. lol.

I've done the same thing and experienced the same thing with the weight gain after peeing. Or even seeing the scale stay the same! I weigh myself about 2 or 3 times a day. Usually 1st thing in the morning. If it's a weekend I'll wait an hour and weigh myself after the morning weigh in and then I usually weigh myself at night just to see how much i'm up from the day. So no it's not just you there are others out there just like you!

I too weigh every morning right after shower that tends to be when I weigh the least.I am hoping to weigh less than 200 by next Thurs.at 206 this morning