Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just began the whole testing process and got a call yesterday to book my " sleep apnea" test. I am almost positive I do not have it , but what do I know.

I am not too excited about leaving my 11 month old and husband to sleep at some hospital...but I guess this is apart of the whole process.

Did anyone else have to take this test, and if so how was there experience?

Thanks everyone

I just began the whole testing process and got a call yesterday to book my " sleep apnea" test. I am almost positive I do not have it , but what do I know.

I am not too excited about leaving my 11 month old and husband to sleep at some hospital...but I guess this is apart of the whole process.

Did anyone else have to take this test, and if so how was there experience?

Thanks everyone

Yes, I had to go through it. It's no big deal. I didn't sleep well though. But, I am glad I did it; otherwise, I never would have known I had sleep apnea. If you want the surgery, then you will need to have the test. If it turns out you have it, then you will need to bring your CPAP to the hospital with you when you go. As I was told on my preop appointment on Tuesday, depending on how I do in surgery will determine if the anesthesiologist will have them put my CPAP on me in recovery.

Honestly though, it's really not a big deal. Good luck, hon!

I had the sleep study done last summer. I did not think I had apnea, but I do. Using a C-Pap has been very helpful. I feel so much better. I did not sleep well, but around 3:00 I finally fell asleep and they saw the apnea.

I hope that being banded and losing weight will result in not needing the c-pap any more.

Go ahead and do it. If it is required, just go for it.

Hello!

I had my sleep study last night (6/28/09); the worry of doing it was far greater than the experience itself. I didn't get the best sleep, but who does when you're in a strange bed. I found out I have sleep apnea - this helps to explain the reason I'm tired every morning and also has something to do w/memory loss.

Go for it!

My husband and I both have the sleep study as a requirement for our surgery. It's funny, I have an 11 month old as well and I am concerned about the same thing!!! This will be a first, the hubby alone all night with her! I am sure things will be fine.

I am just worried I am not going to be able to fall asleep in a strange place! And how embarassing... what if you fart! haha

My husband and I both have the sleep study as a requirement for our surgery. It's funny, I have an 11 month old as well and I am concerned about the same thing!!! This will be a first, the hubby alone all night with her! I am sure things will be fine.

I am just worried I am not going to be able to fall asleep in a strange place! And how embarassing... what if you fart! haha

LOL you are hysterical. First night for my hubby too! I am so nervous, however I guess there is nothing that will hold me back regarding this surgery!!!

I have all my tests scheduled over the next three weeks, it is going to be CRAZY.

Has anyone had the Psych evaluation...3 hours...then you have to go back the same day for another 30 minutes??? What if I dont pass...what does it entail..I am far more nervous about this than the sleep apnea test!!!

I did the sleep study test a couple weeks ago, I was so dreading it. It was not fun for me at all, I knew deep down that I don't have it and I've never had an issue sleeping but I still had to get it done.

If you have long hair it might difficult for you.. everytime I fell asleep, one of the things would fall off and I would have to wake up and get them re-attached, the stuff they use is so greasy and just a pain. I managed to get maybe 1-2 hours of sleep. I got the call on Friday that I don't have sleep apnea (told you so!).

It is just one of those things you have to get done. I just kept telling myself that it would soon be over and I'll have my surgery soon and its all worth it.

Pysch. evaluation was one of the easiest tests for me. Mine was extremely short though. Just be honest about your expectations about the surgery and you should do just fine.

If its not a requirement, don't let them force you into doing it!

I saw a pulmonologist and he wouldn't believe that I had nothing wrong with me [besides my weight]. No diabetes, heart or breathing problems and NO sleep apnea! Asked me over and over "Are you sure?"....

I know what sleep apnea is like, my brother in law has it. I didn't have ONE symptom of it and he wanted to send me to have the test anyway... he said I didn't need it for the Lap Band, but he just wanted me to do it. These docs don't realize, these are bills that we have to pay... insurance or not.

I think my boyfriend would've realized by now if I started choking and stopped breathing in my sleep. [not to mention, I would've too!!].

We have to do a psych eval as well but I don't think ours is 3 hours. I think it's just like a normal visit of an hour. I am not too worried about that part at all. My husband and I go to a marriage counselor on a regular basis so talking to people doesn't scare me at all, hehe!

I am so glad to have people going through the same things I am right now. I too have a bunch of tests schedule for the next couple of weeks! I feel like the 6 months is so far away... then again, it's already only 5 months now!

My girlfriend has gone through this process and had the surgery about a year and a half ago. She said after the surgery you definitely go through some psychological changes... I guess it is going to be strange going from pleasantly plumo your entire life to healthy and skinny :tongue2:

Its just one of those hoops you're gonna have to jump thru..........

It's just an inconvenience, really no big deal otherwise.....

Bring your own pillow......the ones at most "facilities" are pretty sad.....you're not gonna sleep well anyway, but having ur own pillow might help.

It wasn’t a big deal, though I was kinda excited to have it done. I was excited because I sleepwalk and save people in my sleep and I was curious if I would be caught on tape during the study. I wanted a copy! LOL It was somewhat like sleeping in a hotel somewhere, but with wires coming from everywhere! I had trouble falling asleep because I am a stomach/side sleeper and the wires did not permit me to get into my normal sleeping position, but I eventually fell asleep.

The worst thing was the goop they use in your hair to hook you up. I have long hair. I asked the hook up dude if I should pull it back and he asked if I normally pull it back at night, if not, then don’t. I wish I had. My hair got all tangled up in the wires and then when he was disconnecting me at 4:30am, he dropped one of the goop covered prods into my hair which then turned into a clump of hair and goop! LOL I rushed home and washed my hair twice and the goop came out. Don’t let that stuff sit in your hair or you may have a rough time getting it out. I’d also recommend doing the study on a night when you don’t have to go to work the next day.

I thought I had sleep apnea, but actually have hypopnea (shallow breathing). One doctor thought I still needed a CPAP, but another doctor believed it was very mild and would resolve with weigh loss and stopping smoking. The second doctor said that my hypopnea was positional and during REM, but that my average of 6 times per hour was just over the acceptable 5? I had no episodes while on my side, only on my back and during REM. I found out that if I did have sleep apnea that I would have to have another sleep study using the CPAP (I think it was called a titration study?) to measure the effectiveness of the CPAP.

Good luck with everything!

It wasn’t a big deal, though I was kinda excited to have it done. I was excited because I sleepwalk and save people in my sleep and I was curious if I would be caught on tape during the study. I wanted a copy! LOL It was somewhat like sleeping in a hotel somewhere, but with wires coming from everywhere! I had trouble falling asleep because I am a stomach/side sleeper and the wires did not permit me to get into my normal sleeping position, but I eventually fell asleep.

The worst thing was the goop they use in your hair to hook you up. I have long hair. I asked the hook up dude if I should pull it back and he asked if I normally pull it back at night, if not, then don’t. I wish I had. My hair got all tangled up in the wires and then when he was disconnecting me at 4:30am, he dropped one of the goop covered prods into my hair which then turned into a clump of hair and goop! LOL I rushed home and washed my hair twice and the goop came out. Don’t let that stuff sit in your hair or you may have a rough time getting it out. I’d also recommend doing the study on a night when you don’t have to go to work the next day.

I thought I had sleep apnea, but actually have hypopnea (shallow breathing). One doctor thought I still needed a CPAP, but another doctor believed it was very mild and would resolve with weigh loss and stopping smoking. The second doctor said that my hypopnea was positional and during REM, but that my average of 6 times per hour was just over the acceptable 5? I had no episodes while on my side, only on my back and during REM. I found out that if I did have sleep apnea that I would have to have another sleep study using the CPAP (I think it was called a titration study?) to measure the effectiveness of the CPAP.

Good luck with everything!

Totally agree on the hair goop issue..........what a mess that was to get out......ugh..........and at the time my hair was pretty short.

If its not a requirement, don't let them force you into doing it!

I saw a pulmonologist and he wouldn't believe that I had nothing wrong with me [besides my weight]. No diabetes, heart or breathing problems and NO sleep apnea! Asked me over and over "Are you sure?"....

I know what sleep apnea is like, my brother in law has it. I didn't have ONE symptom of it and he wanted to send me to have the test anyway... he said I didn't need it for the Lap Band, but he just wanted me to do it. These docs don't realize, these are bills that we have to pay... insurance or not.

I think my boyfriend would've realized by now if I started choking and stopped breathing in my sleep. [not to mention, I would've too!!].

Ugh. My pulmonologist was the same way!! I felt he didn't believe me with anything. He asked me if I had seizures about three times and if I had my tonsils removed twice and then he checked for himself. Then he was like "are you sure you wouldn't get out of breath doing the 6 minute walking test?".. I mean yeah I know I am overweight but I told him repeatedly that I walk all the time and 6 minutes is nothing. Then I kept telling him I had no sleeping issues and that I live at school so obviously one of my friends would have said something if I was choking/snoring/etc. I just came out of his office very annoyed because you get the feeling like no matter what you say he is thinking "She is overweight she HAS to have these problems.. she must be lying". Ugh.

Well I am done with that haha now that all the tests he sent me for came back normal :tongue2:.

My surgeon's office said they only see maybe 1 in every 200 people that come into the clinic NOT have sleep apnea. I was the 1. My father has it, so I knew I didn't have it, but like someone else mentioned, it was just another hoop I had to jump through.

I would recommend bringing a book, because they may get you all hooked up and then say, "Okay now go to bed". And for me that was at about 9pm. Not my normal sleep time. They had a tv, but I don't watch tv before bed. I find it keeps me up.

Also, like others mentioned, they'll put a paste (some place even use a wax type material) to keep the probes on your head. I strongly suggest bringing your own Shampoo and conditioner. Use the conditioner FIRST to work some of the nasty stuff out, then use the shampoo. I had to go straight to work and no one told me I would have this stuff in my hair. So all I had to clean it out were packets of combo shampoo/conditioner the lab provided me with. Needless to say I left work halfway through to go home and take a real shower.

Best of luck !