Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op overeating . . .

I had my lap band surgery done very recently, as in, five days ago. My particular surgeon does not fill the band at all as soon as the band is put in place. He likes for his patients to spend 5 weeks healing before getting the first fill. My mother had it done with me, same day, same surgeon, everything.

Even though I know I should be on a strict liquid diet right now, I caved. I've been eating junk food (cheetos, candy), and not only that, my usual portions, since the 3rd day. I haven't thrown up a single time. And I don't see how this is possible.

My mom seems as expected, although she sometimes feels hungry, a few sips of Soup and she's full. I'm not like that at all. I eat and eat and eat. Really, I can eat a 700 calorie bag of chips and not feel sick at all.

Because it isn't filled, I'm assuming that what keeps patients so full is that their stomachs are inflamed from the surgery.

I don't know if it's maybe an age thing. My mom is 42, so I imagine it would take longer for her to heal than it would me.

Despite my doctors advice, I can't go on like this. My mom's going to schedule a fill for me as soon as possible.

Is this common, and will getting a fill fix it?

:biggrin:

My god you are taking huge risks with your health and the healing process of your stomach. You just had a major surgery and the diet that is given to you after is to make sure you heal properly. If you continue like this you are likely to end up with either a slipped band or erosion and neither is a good thing. You went through this surgery because you are supposed to be committed to weight loss, you need to call your doctor and speak to a nutritionist and get yourself straightened away. I suspect you are very young but you are really taking huge risks.

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling :biggrin: Its really important that you get right back on your post-op diet. The reason why that diet is the way it is, is so your stomach has time to heal. If you are eating the way you were eating before the band, 5 days out of surgery this is a possibility of injuring the band (slippage) or injuring yourself. The reason why the band is not filled until 5-6 weeks after surgery is also so your stomach can heal. Getting a fill too soon can also cause serious problems. Additionally, it sounds like you are bingeing and not chewing very well, which also is not good.

Everyone feels pretty hungry post-op - thus the phrase 'bandster hell'. Of course, it varies person to person (depending on how much inflammation and fat is around your stomach) but most feel pretty hungry, especially only on liquids. It usually gets better after a fill (or a few fills). But for your own safety, get back on the wagon!

Even though I know I should be on a strict liquid diet right now' date=' I caved. I've been eating junk food (cheetos, candy), and not only that, my usual portions, since the 3rd day. I haven't thrown up a single time. And I don't see how this is possible.

My mom seems as expected, although she sometimes feels hungry, a few sips of Soup and she's full. I'm not like that at all. I eat and eat and eat. Really, I can eat a 700 calorie bag of chips and not feel sick at all.

>snip<

:biggrin:[/quote']

:thumbup:

Please, stop eating solids, call your surgeon and nutritionist, and start the Protein shake and broths. This is only temporary - you can have all of that stuff later...

Although considering what you have been honest enough to share here, perhaps, you should wait to be filled until you have worked with an eating therapist who works with you dialectically, as well as with behavior modification. If you start getting filled, and are not telling your surgeon and dietician what you are eating, and how much, and you continue, you will end up very ill when you overeat, and try foods that are not tolerated following a fill, and vomiting is the worst thing to heedlessly fail to prevent.

Take Care, you are young and have a whole life ahead of you, so do not spend those coming years and decades obese. :(

I too had this happen. I didn't understand not having the fill meant I could eat what I wanted. Which I promptly did. After losing 9 lbs the first week and starving, I realized I was fill free and went right to the grocery store and favorite restaurant weighing more at the time of my first fill then I did before the surgery! Fear not, it took four fills before I started really losing weight, but I am now a size 10 and very happy with the results. And I'm much older then your mother!

I had my lap band surgery done very recently' date=' as in, five days ago. My particular surgeon does not fill the band at all as soon as the band is put in place. He likes for his patients to spend 5 weeks healing before getting the first fill. My mother had it done with me, same day, same surgeon, everything.

Even though I know I should be on a strict liquid diet right now, I caved. I've been eating junk food (cheetos, candy), and not only that, my usual portions, since the 3rd day. I haven't thrown up a single time. And I don't see how this is possible.

Because it isn't filled, I'm assuming that what keeps patients so full is that their stomachs are inflamed from the surgery.

I don't know if it's maybe an age thing. My mom is 42, so I imagine it would take longer for her to heal than it would me.

Despite my doctors advice, I can't go on like this. My mom's going to schedule a fill for me as soon as possible.

:biggrin:[/quote']

I can understand that someone can be hungry and want to advance quicker than the recommended diet.

I understand that we have no restriction at this point and that it is hard.

What I can't understand is going through this process - preop diet, surgery etc etc and then do things so soon afterwards that could mean the whole thing has been a waste of time and money.

I was hungry in the first weeks after surgery too but I would not have considered even trying to eat chips. If I was going to cheat then it would have been with something healthy and nutritious.

It has been said many times that the band is only a tool and that unless we work it it is useless.We need to remember this. It is not a magic fix and we really need to be committed.

Please get back onto your recommended diet for the sake of your health and to prevent possible future problems. You are lucky that your mum had this done at the same time. Having her there to support you should make the process easier.

Remember it gets easier as you go along.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi there, hon. Please call your doctor and let him/her know what is going on. They will be able to give you the proper advice. Some doctors allow their patients to eat early out, others don't. You need to follow your doctor's advice, not what is posted on the boards.

Are you only 14 years of age? I could not imagine going through this process at that young of age. I'm sure it is quite a struggle. Please call your doctor and lean on your mom during this rough time. It does get better. Good luck to you!!