Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! Someone please reassure me!!!

In defence of talkalot (not that I think you need me defending you, talkalot), my initial reaction to Agnes' post was 'Wow, this girl is all over the place'. Her first post, as she wrote it, seemed chaotic. And it seemed like she didn't really understand the banding process (ie refills).

Of course, that has turned out to not be the case (subsequent posts show that Agnes has thought this through, considered her options and feels this is the best for her), but that's how the first post read to me. And I'm sure others felt the same way.

I don't think talkalot was intentionally trying to be rude. Just realistic.

Agnes, this is a great community of wonderful men and women. Not everyone will agree with you but opposing opinions are not intended to betlittle or patronise you. I can safely say that we're here to support you through this journey - and that means articulating the good and the bad (however unpalatable the bad may seem).

Personally, I'm nearly two weeks banded and it's working out great. I wish I had done it when I was in your position BMI-wise. Good on you for being pro-active. I hope it all works out. :blushing:

Edited by Jane_S

My own medicine??? Um I don't know what you mean.... I never handed out medicine.....

It's called a metaphor.

...I may have been rude ONCE(about her being vain) but if you read my posts I was trying to be informative. Lets give it a rest.....:blushing:

You were kinda rude more than once.

Surgeons willing to do the surgery on you are doing it for the money.

So any surgeon that follows the Standard of Care for their own country is just in it for the money? They are all hacks?

I also think it was quit silly to have your "husband" (if it was really him, probably wasn't) ask about fills and how much work you will have to miss.

Now that isn't very nice.

I just really hope you are not doing this because of being vain. Do you have any co-morbities, Besides you feeling fat or crying because you can't wear regular close?

This one was extra not-nice.

So what if she wants to wear normal "clothes"? If she is wanting to lose 50-55# that will put her at a 20-20.8 BMI. That is NORMAL and HEALTHY.

I'm still waiting for you to defend that claim that I am writing about my band problems on this thread. Or, did you forget?

Oritz is excellent as is his staff. I flew from New York for this. The US is behind in the field of preventative medicine. For BMI btw 30-35, Mexico and Canada are our options. My friend and I did EXTENSIVE research and Oritz came up over and over again as the best/most thorough/most experienced. And paying out of pocket? I did Jenny Craig for 2 years (at $50 a week) you do the math.....the band is the way to go......do your food shoppng before you go. And find a good doctor near home for the fills. Avoid the "fill centers" if you can. Good luck - you will be so happy about this decision.

I like this multi-posting thing, very cool!

As for those who are putting Agnes down for doing her thing, who pissed in your Protein Shake? Simmer down with all that mess and help a Sister out! If you don't like it then don't respond!

Heh... I like you.

Ugh! :blushing: I would like to know since when 50 pounds overweight is "only 50 pounds overweight Since when did 50 become a low number This is why this country is the fattest country in the world!

Excellent, excellent words!

Today in the US 1/3 of the population is normal weight, 1/3 is over weight, 1/3 is obese. This is a serious problem in our country today and we are not the only fat country around. Something has to be done. Those of us who decided to do something about it... great! Those that can't or won't, it's their choice. But there is no value in gaining to the point of morbid obesity before someone can self pay for WLS without being chastised for it.

Hey Agnes- I see you are in Elkridge too. I was banded two weeks ago at Johns Hopkins. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck!

Linda

I am sorry to say Wasa but you are being a bitch about it. Wait no I am not sorry. Why did you convert to the sleeve after getting the band?? Was the band not keeping you at your goal weight? I know alot of people who will convert to either a sleeve or RNY because the band did not work for them. There has to be some reason. I guess if any of us has a different opinion then you we better watch out cause you will have something to say about that!!!! If it makes you feel better to have the last word please feel free to respond with some type of Jerky ass comment! I have better things to do then to sit on the computer all day!!!!!

I am sorry to say Wasa but you are being a bitch about it. Wait no I am not sorry. Why did you convert to the sleeve after getting the band?? Was the band not keeping you at your goal weight? I know alot of people who will convert to either a sleeve or RNY because the band did not work for them. There has to be some reason. I guess if any of us has a different opinion then you we better watch out cause you will have something to say about that!!!! If it makes you feel better to have the last word please feel free to respond with some type of Jerky ass comment! I have better things to do then to sit on the computer all day!!!!!

You wrote that I came to this thread to write about my band problems. Surely you can go back to those posts you refer to and see for yourself? I've asked you twice to defend your own comments and all you do is attack me instead.

Actually, many people have converted from the band due to complications that I tried to nicely point out earlier. However, it seems that the lapband fanboys are out in full force today and refuse to listen to anyone else *SIGH*

Man I agree with you, I am amazed at how this has turned out.

Wasa for your edification the info I quoted was not from the insurance companies, it was from the Surgical Review Corporation. The guidlines I referred to are set in place for and by the Bariatric Centers for Excellence, who gather all the data on these procedures from member surgeons and board certified bariatric surgeons. They then make recommedations as to who candidates should be for the procedures, and evaluate the risks vs benefits, longterm outlook and analyze the complication rates.

They have compiled a very comprehensive list of recommendations in this regard.

As I told Alice, her initial post sounded like she was looking for the easy button and I had real concerns for her and saw that was the case for several other posters, they voiced their opinions in concern, however, in subsequent posts Alice filled in a lot of info... and I told her to go for it!

You seem to have a real talent for picking out pieces of a thread and then ripping it and the person to shreads, most out of context to the conversation that was happening at the time.

There is nastiness, but most seems to be from you, others are just giving their opinions, some misguided, but all valid points of view for different reasons.

Info regarding the Surgical Review Corp from their website is:

Surgical Review Corporation (Which is a United States entity)

BOLD has three primary goals:

• To offer Centers a real-time tool to monitor their compliance with the Bariatric Surgery Centers of Excellence (BSCOE) requirements.
  • To provide SRC with credible data that can be used to demonstrate to consumers, employers, medical professionals and payors of the value and efficacy of bariatric surgery. Clinical series, although helpful, represent only selective data. Claims data collected by payors is often inaccurate due to the nature of billing codes.
  • To collect the information needed to improve patient outcomes. The data will guide surgeons in choosing the right operation for patients. BOLD is a unique platform for evidence-based medicine, tracking complications and improvement or resolution of co-morbidities longitudinally in an effort to develop risk stratification guidelines that will promote improved patient care and outcomes.

Edited by OnTheWay to Thin

Man I agree with you, I am amazed at how this has turned out.

Wasa for your edification the info I quoted was not from the insurance companies, it was from the Surgical Review Corporation. The guidlines I referred to are set in place for and by the Bariatric Centers for Excellence, who gather all the data on these procedures from member surgeons and board certified bariatric surgeons. They then make recommedations as to who candidates should be for the procedures, and evaluate the risks vs benefits, longterm outlook and analyze the complication rates.

They have compiled a very comprehensive list of recommendations in this regard.

AGAIN, please see post #86. Just because the US does something does not make it right. There is much effort being put into changing things so that ins will cover WLS for BMIs 30 and above.

As I told Alice, her initial post sounded like she was looking for the easy button and I had real concerns for her and saw that was the case for several other posters, they voiced their opinions in concern, however, in subsequent posts Alice filled in a lot of info... and I told her to go for it!
No, that is NOT all you wrote. Here is more:
The whole premise of lapband is for someone who is mordbidly obese (at least 100lbs overweight) and the weight loss is meant to be slow, no more than 1-2 lbs a week.

I addressed this and you failed to respond.

US doctors will not do surgery on someone of your size because the surgical risks outweight the benefits.

I asked you for proof and you did not respond. Medical professionals do not agree with you so I would like to see your proof.

Had I only had 40 - 50 lbs to lose I never would have had this surgery as good old fashioned dieting and discipline would have accomplished that.

I asked you why you did not just D/E at your 50# point and you did not respond.

All the guidelines I have ever read, and I researched and read everything I could find on the subject would NOT recommend this procedure for you.

Who asked you? And who are you to suggest she go against her doctor's advice?

You seem to have a real talent for picking out pieces of a thread and then ripping it and the person to shreads, most out of context to the conversation that was happening at the time.

What is out of context? I posted it word for word. *I* did not paraphrase. I asked you to defend your statements and you refused. You had no problem handing out medical advice, handing out incorrect information, but if someone dares to call you on it then I am ripping you to shreds. All I did was ask you to defend your comments because you are mistaken in several areas.

There is nastiness, but most seems to be from you, others are just giving their opinions, some misguided, but all valid points of view for different reasons.
*I* am not the one belittling someone for wanting to better her health. Want another example? Here you go (this is my personal favorite):
This poster is not 50-55 lbs overweight, we are talking 30-40 if she wants to be anorexic. I am all for weight control and would have loved to stop my weight before I was 50lbs overweight, but I cant ever remember being just 50lbs overweight. There is a bigger issue here and this poster sounds like she is looking for a quick fix, this surgery is NOt a quick fix or easy way to reduce weight, it takes work, each and every day and I would hate to see someone go through surgery and fail because they did not understand that it is not a quick fix AND it requires 100% dedication to this for the long term.

Let's look at some numbers here, shall we?

Today she is 5' 1" 166# and a BMI of 31.4. That is considered obese, btw.

She wants to lose 50-55#. But YOU claim she will be anorexic with a weight loss of 30-40# and with a weight loss of 40# she will have a BMI of 23.8. Keeping in mind that 18.5-24.9 is a HEALTHY weight range, how do you figure that is anorexic? That is a healthy weight range. The OP actually wants to lose 50-55#. Let's say she loses 55#, that puts her BMI at 21. I am a smaller BMI than her goal, I am at 20. That IS a healthy weight range. That is what we should be aiming for, a healthy BMI.

What in the world is wrong with that? Where the heck do you get anorexic from that? It's a healthy weight. You guys have belittled her, given her wrong information, assumed she has emotional problems for wanting to be healthy, suggested she do what we couldn't do (D/E) and be happy with that.

You dodge questions, refuse to defend your outlandish claims, and then try to redirect this to me being the mean one. Bah! Start giving support instead of anger for someone wanting control before she is the size that we were.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Oh, this is Rich. Just Rich. Real sweet.

Those of you who know me here might be a little surprised at what I’m about to say.

I'm in favor of this member having a Lap band.:blushing:

The member who alerted me to this thread has observed me long enough to know that I have a very fair-minded attitude toward all of this, in spite of what some people think of me or my stance on these issues.

I’m the Poster Child for everything that can go wrong with the band. The damn thing almost killed me on several occasions. SIX surgeries. I had the nasty little piece of silicone in my gut for nearly six years, which puts me up there in the top few percentage points of long-timers. My whole WLS adventure was over 8 years. I now have a bright, shiny new gastric bypass that has me at my perfect weight for the first time in eons. But even THAT has not been without its challenges.

I lost YEARS of full-time work because of my “relationship” with the Band. MOUNTAINS of debt. Years of ill health. It was a mess. I could go on and on, but this thread is NOT about me. It’s about someone who came here for some freakin’ help… GOT THAT?

I’m telling you this because I have EXPERIENCE in this in a very personal way. I didn’t just plop myself around to a few web sites, read what a few biased idiots have to say, and then decide I’m now an expert. I have lived this crap for a LONG TIME.

I’m no fan of Weight Loss Surgery. It can kill and maim. But it can also SAVE and ENHANCE lives IF you:

Choose the RIGHT PROCEDURE

Have some PSYCHOTHERAPY to help sort out the non-physical issues.

Do it For the RIGHT REASONS

Have it done by the RIGHT Surgeon

Have it performed at the Right facility

FOLLOW the Protocol

If you make the wrong decision in ANY of those areas, you will fail, get sick, or DIE.

I’m also not a big fan of going to Mexico (or anywhere else that is a long distance from home) for surgery. Wasa knows how I feel about that. BUT….if you can accept the risks, and you have made arrangements IN ADVANCE for the aftercare in your home area, then I say go for it. And Agnes has done just that.

When I first read Agnes’s story, I wondered a bit if all the components were in place. But, as she responded to questions (with great restraint, I might add), it became clear that she is a woman who has DONE the research. She has health issues that warrant a more drastic approach to her issues of weight. This is NOT about her fitting into nice clothes or whatever it was that some jackass here said.

One of the things I have learned over the years about WLS standards is….there ARE NO standards. BMI of 37 here, BMI of 40 over there, THIS list of comorbidities from this insurance company, an entirely different list from another company….it’s all BS. We are all individuals, and we are unique. We are not just “numbers on a chart”.

One other thing: My hat is OFF to those of you who are self-pays. There is a very, very large community of people who think that insurance companies OWE you a lap band/bypass/sleeve/DDS/vaginal tightening/WHATVEVER, just because you WANT one. Obesity is a big problem, and it happens for a lot of reasons. But it happens MOSTLY because we have spent far too much time at the TROUGH, and not enough at the TRACK. Obesity is, MOST of the time, a self-inflicted wound. And now WE (and I include myself) have come to expect Insurance Companies to bail our fat asses out of a predicament that we have, most of the time, gotten OURSELVES into.

Every time someone has WLS that’s paid for by insurance, that is just a little less money that is available to help fix the teeth of kids in Appalachia, who have NO resources. Less money to help improve the health of poor Native Americans on reservations. Less money for kidney transplants for kids who will DIE without them.

And no, I’m not naïve enough to think that if the insurance companies weren’t paying for WLS that they’d be donating resources to help humankind. But, I DO know that at the rate WLS is escalating (nearly 275,000 will be done this year in America….), it’s gonna put a HUGE weight (pun intended) on the entire insurance infrastructure, and will likely contribute to a collapse similar to what we have seen in other industries. Some people have commented that they see that coming.

So, when I see someone willing to take responsibility for their OWN health issues, open their wallets, and pay for it themselves, well….I salute you! Agnes, you have my respect.

If you’re a young, healthy person, active (or ABLE to be active), no co morbidities, good health, but have 30 or 40 pounds to lose, I would say don’t even THINK about WLS. But here is a woman who had a heart Attack at 26, for Gods Sake. High cholesterol. high blood pressure. She's a time bomb. Wake up, people.

Ok: a few personal notes:

TopTier: do us a favor. Get a shovel, dig a hole, and climb in. Have a friend cover you up. And DON’T dig your way out until you actually HAVE a lap band or some other WLS. You are one of these annoying self-proclaimed instant-experts who have been bouncing around various web sites, collecting numbers, and presenting them like you actually KNOW what they mean. When you actually HAVE the silicone noose in place around your tummy-top, THEN you can come back and play. But not until. Thank you.

Talkalot1981: “Truth in Forum Names” in action. Please see above. I know that it will be more difficult digging hole in the frozen Alaskan ground, but please make an effort. Talkalot1981 is Another expert without a band. Regarding Wasa: Like me, Wasa has been through multiple surgeries, and we “get” the issues. We LIVE the issues every day. Wasa is a respected member of this community who has helped many people fight their way through the mine-field that IS WLS. She does NOT dance around the issues, she knows of what she speaks. She is not entirely a fan of the band either, but she recognizes the situations that it WILL work in. So, until you actually have a band and can speak from experience, please sit back, shut up, and try and be supportive of people who have DONE THEIR RESEARCH, and made a decision, whether you happen to like it or not. Thank You.

NurseMelly: Oh, forget it. It ain’t worth it.

As I have said SO many times in this forum, you need to choose the RIGHT procedure for you, and for YOU ALONE, and NOT because some cretin on this forum has seen an ad for the Lap-band on the back of a Cracker-Jack box and thinks it will end war, cure AIDS, and help you fit into that Victoria’s Secret thong, all in one fell swoop.

Agnes, My dear, you have DONE the research. You have CHOSEN a doctor. You KNOW the protocol. You know your OWN History. You are willing to WORK the PROGRAM and Play by the rules.

Go for it, Agnes….and get yourself HEALTHY!

“The journey is the reward”

HH

And you should see me when I’m pissed…..

Edited by Headhunter

Oh, this is Rich. Just Rich. Real sweet.

Those of you who know me here might be a little surprised at what I’m about to say.

I'm in favor of this member having a Lap band.:blushing:

The member who alerted me to this thread has observed me long enough to know that I have a very fair-minded attitude toward all of this, in spite of what some people think of me or my stance on these issues.

I’m the Poster Child for everything that can go wrong with the band. The damn thing almost killed me on several occasions. SIX surgeries. I had the nasty little piece of silicone in my gut for nearly six years, which puts me up there in the top few percentage points of long-timers. My whole WLS adventure was over 8 years. I now have a bright, shiny new gastric bypass that has me at my perfect weight for the first time in eons. But even THAT has not been without its challenges.

I lost YEARS of full-time work because of my “relationship” with the Band. MOUNTAINS of debt. Years of ill health. It was a mess. I could go on and on, but this thread is NOT about me. It’s about someone who came here for some freakin’ help… GOT THAT?

I’m telling you this because I have EXPERIENCE in this in a very personal way. I didn’t just plop myself around to a few web sites, read what a few biased idiots have to say, and then decide I’m now an expert. I have lived this crap for a LONG TIME.

I’m no fan of Weight Loss Surgery. It can kill and maim. But it can also SAVE and ENHANCE lives IF you:

Choose the RIGHT PROCEDURE

Have some PSYCHOTHERAPY to help sort out the non-physical issues.

Do it For the RIGHT REASONS

Have it done by the RIGHT Surgeon

Have it performed at the Right facility

FOLLOW the Protocol

If you make the wrong decision in ANY of those areas, you will fail, get sick, or DIE.

I’m also not a big fan of going to Mexico (or anywhere else that is a long distance from home) for surgery. Wasa knows how I feel about that. BUT….if you can accept the risks, and you have made arrangements IN ADVANCE for the aftercare in your home area, then I say go for it. And Agnes has done just that.

When I first read Agnes’s story, I wondered a bit if all the components were in place. But, as she responded to questions (with great restraint, I might add), it became clear that she is a woman who has DONE the research. She has health issues that warrant a more drastic approach to her issues of weight. This is NOT about her fitting into nice clothes or whatever it was that some jackass here said.

One of the things I have learned over the years about WLS standards is….there ARE NO standards. BMI of 37 here, BMI of 40 over there, THIS list of comorbidities from this insurance company, an entirely different list from another company….it’s all BS. We are all individuals, and we are unique. We are not just “numbers on a chart”.

One other thing: My hat is OFF to those of you who are self-pays. There is a very, very large community of people who think that insurance companies OWE you a lap band/bypass/sleeve/DDS/vaginal tightening/WHATVEVER, just because you WANT one. Obesity is a big problem, and it happens for a lot of reasons. But it happens MOSTLY because we have spent far too much time at the TROUGH, and not enough at the TRACK. Obesity is, MOST of the time, a self-inflicted wound. And now WE (and I include myself) have come to expect Insurance Companies to bail our fat asses out of a predicament that we have, most of the time, gotten OURSELVES into.

Every time someone has WLS that’s paid for by insurance, that is just a little less money that is available to help fix the teeth of kids in Appalachia, who have NO resources. Less money to help improve the health of poor Native Americans on reservations. Less money for kidney transplants for kids who will DIE without them.

And no, I’m not naïve enough to think that if the insurance companies weren’t paying for WLS that they’d be donating resources to help humankind. But, I DO know that at the rate WLS is escalating (nearly 275,000 will be done this year in America….), it’s gonna put a HUGE weight (pun intended) on the entire insurance infrastructure, and will likely contribute to a collapse similar to what we have seen in other industries. Some people have commented that they see that coming.

So, when I see someone willing to take responsibility for their OWN health issues, open their wallets, and pay for it themselves, well….I salute you! Agnes, you have my respect.

If you’re a young, healthy person, active (or ABLE to be active), no co morbidities, good health, but have 30 or 40 pounds to lose, I would say don’t even THINK about WLS. But here is a woman who had a heart Attack at 26, for Gods Sake. High cholesterol. high blood pressure. She's a time bomb. Wake up, people.

Ok: a few personal notes:

TopTier: do us a favor. Get a shovel, dig a hole, and climb in. Have a friend cover you up. And DON’T dig your way out until you actually HAVE a lap band or some other WLS. You are one of these annoying self-proclaimed instant-experts who have been bouncing around various web sites, collecting numbers, and presenting them like you actually KNOW what they mean. When you actually HAVE the silicone noose in place around your tummy-top, THEN you can come back and play. But not until. Thank you.

Talkalot1981: “Truth in Forum Names” in action. Please see above. I know that it will be more difficult digging hole in the frozen Alaskan ground, but please make an effort. Talkalot1981 is Another expert without a band. Regarding Wasa: Like me, Wasa has been through multiple surgeries, and we “get” the issues. We LIVE the issues every day. Wasa is a respected member of this community who has helped many people fight their way through the mine-field that IS WLS. She does NOT dance around the issues, she knows of what she speaks. She is not entirely a fan of the band either, but she recognizes the situations that it WILL work in. So, until you actually have a band and can speak from experience, please sit back, shut up, and try and be supportive of people who have DONE THEIR RESEARCH, and made a decision, whether you happen to like it or not. Thank You.

NurseMelly: Oh, forget it. It ain’t worth it.

As I have said SO many times in this forum, you need to choose the RIGHT procedure for you, and for YOU ALONE, and NOT because some cretin on this forum has seen an ad for the Lap-band on the back of a Cracker-Jack box and thinks it will end war, cure AIDS, and help you fit into that Victoria’s Secret thong, all in one fell swoop.

Agnes, My dear, you have DONE the research. You have CHOSEN a doctor. You KNOW the protocol. You know your OWN History. You are willing to WORK the PROGRAM and Play by the rules.

Go for it, Agnes….and get yourself HEALTHY!

“The journey is the reward”

HH

And you should see me when I’m pissed…..

I heart HeadHunter!

Hey Agnes,

I wish they would have told me what to really expect post op.... I guess the Dr. and staff don't want to scare anyone off. What I was told is that some people experience gas pains around the arm or shoulder and that some experience discomfort around the port incision.

This is my reality, I wish they would have told me. Hope it doesn't scare you though.....

*I have 5 incisions, about half to one and a half inch long.... They told me I would have "piercings"..like little holes.

*I have been in pain around the abdomen.....not just like the actual incisions, more like everything underneath hurts. Like if you've done lots of sit ups.... I think that's the gas.

My shoulder has been killing me since the morphine and other pain killers that they gave me during surgery wore off. liquid Advil and the narcotic together have helped.

* My stomach feels yucky, but I'm hungry at the same time. Very hungry!!!But whenever I drink something.... I belch and it hurts. I've been so tempted to put a corny dog in the blender and eat a few bites! But I won't, I'd be hurting for sure, then, and mess up the band or something!!

So, that's where I'm at 3 days post op. Since they emphasized walking so much, I walked on the treadmill twice yesterday (Dr.'s office recommended it) but, my shoulder is still hurting.

By the way, I have a very low tolerance for pain. I'm a wimp!!:biggrin:

How much is the surgery costing you in Tijuana? I paid 15K here in Dallas.... Just wondering, in case I need revision surgery or something. The person that posted that all lapbands have to be eventually replaced really scared me.... :confused: :blushing: not what I wanted to hear!

Good luck Agnes!

aww...so sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable and in pain. I hear several peopl talkng about shoulder pain..i wonder why that is? the doc didnt tell you that you would have shoulder pain?

I actually have a high tolerance for pain (like tattoos!) but i am a baby when it comes to nausea!!

My surgery is costing me 7k (plus air fair from the east coast). I hope you feel better soon! keep in touch! Mine is July 8th!!

Headhunter, I agree with 99% of what you posted. And, no, I sure as heck don't want to see you when you are really mad, lol.

Headhunter and everyone else posting in this thread, please remember, do not personally attack anyone. You can attack the idea all you want, just not members personally.

Edited by *Susan*

On an added note, Agnes, if you get the band, I wish you the best of luck. I have known I have a problem with food my entire life. If I had known about WLS surgery when I was just ten or twenty pounds overweight, I would have done it in a heart beat. I would have much preferred to have prevented my obesity and the associated health problems that comes with it as opposed to being told I have to wait until I am morbidly obese and a health risk.