Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! Someone please reassure me!!!

Each Dr. has different guidelines. Mine allows liquids and fruit baby food and FF yogurt during the first two weeks. Then mushies the third and mushed Protein the 4th. My surgery was on Friday. Friday through Monday were very hard. I guess I'm starting to get used to it. It's only food.... It will be there forever.... The other day, I licked on some ketchup and pretended I was eating a corny dog. So, yes, it's hard. I guess there will be some days that are harder than others....

But there is this fear in me that if I eat something I'm not supposed to, I can loosen a stitch and that could lead to a slip. Oh no!! Don't want to have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. The person that posted that almost everyone has to have the lapband fixed or replaced, has really bummed me out!! Ugh! I wish she hadn't said that :thumbup:. It's just constantly ringing in my head. I would just go to ER and have it removed with my insurance as an emergency operation. Can't shell out another 15K. Anyways, I'm off the topic. Are you having to do a pre op diet for two weeks? I was told to do 1 week since I didn't have that much to lose. But, I decided to go ahead and do two weeks like everyone else. It consisted of 2 Protein Shakes and two meals which consisted of protein, vegetables and 1 fruit.

I don't know how I even heard about the lapband anymore.... seems so long ago since I started reading about it. I wanted to wait until summer to have it done, since I'm a teacher. I would tell you, I would take at least a week off work. I know some people have it done on a Thursday and are back to work on Monday, but I would have felt awful having to go back so soon. Today is the first day that I feel more "good" than "bad". Not having to take as much pain med anymore....

Hi Agnes I will admit that when I read page 1 I couldn't believe you were considering surgery your current weight is less than my goal weight lol BUT as someone who is also 5'1'' and weighed 299.5 the day of surgery you ARE doing the right thing. :thumbup:If I had it to do over again I would have done something about my weight sooner. I have always been heavy but in the last 10 years I gained almost 90 pounds and it is hard to lose even 10 pound much less 50-100. I just want to say it will not be easy so plan to have a workout routine in place and explore healthy food options and make time to get adjusted to the band almost 5months in I am still learning so be patient with yourself along this journey and keep us posted! Best wishes!

Each Dr. has different guidelines. Mine allows liquids and fruit baby food and FF yogurt during the first two weeks. Then mushies the third and mushed Protein the 4th. My surgery was on Friday. Friday through Monday were very hard. I guess I'm starting to get used to it. It's only food.... It will be there forever.... The other day, I licked on some ketchup and pretended I was eating a corny dog. So, yes, it's hard. I guess there will be some days that are harder than others....

But there is this fear in me that if I eat something I'm not supposed to, I can loosen a stitch and that could lead to a slip. Oh no!! Don't want to have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. The person that posted that almost everyone has to have the lapband fixed or replaced, has really bummed me out!! Ugh! I wish she hadn't said that :(. It's just constantly ringing in my head. I would just go to ER and have it removed with my insurance as an emergency operation. Can't shell out another 15K. Anyways, I'm off the topic. Are you having to do a pre op diet for two weeks? I was told to do 1 week since I didn't have that much to lose. But, I decided to go ahead and do two weeks like everyone else. It consisted of 2 Protein Shakes and two meals which consisted of protein, vegetables and 1 fruit.

I don't know how I even heard about the lapband anymore.... seems so long ago since I started reading about it. I wanted to wait until summer to have it done, since I'm a teacher. I would tell you, I would take at least a week off work. I know some people have it done on a Thursday and are back to work on Monday, but I would have felt awful having to go back so soon. Today is the first day that I feel more "good" than "bad". Not having to take as much pain med anymore....

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

IF something were to happen, I'd have to pay out of pocket to fix it?!

My preop is Tues July 7th, surgery the 8th and I go back to work Monday July 13th.. That should be ok you think?

No, they said i dont have to do the pre-op diet.

yeah, I think even if I am not hungry, the "act" of actually chewing is what I am gonna miss! LOL

Did they say when you are allowed to lay on your stomache?

Hi Agnes I will admit that when I read page 1 I couldn't believe you were considering surgery your current weight is less than my goal weight lol BUT as someone who is also 5'1'' and weighed 299.5 the day of surgery you ARE doing the right thing. :thumbup:If I had it to do over again I would have done something about my weight sooner. I have always been heavy but in the last 10 years I gained almost 90 pounds and it is hard to lose even 10 pound much less 50-100. I just want to say it will not be easy so plan to have a workout routine in place and explore healthy food options and make time to get adjusted to the band almost 5months in I am still learning so be patient with yourself along this journey and keep us posted! Best wishes!

Thanks hun!

How has your success been thus far?

Yeah, I knew at the rate I was gaining..i woulda been 200lb before I knew it! I had to get in under control NOW! I tried everything, busted my butt in the gym and the weight would not move..and for some reason, I kept gaining!

Thank for your kind words! Wish you the best!!

I think there must be some sort of reading comprehension problem on your end.

1) I never said "I'm the expert, listen to everything I say" (as she pulls out her pocketwatch slowly swinging it back and forth)

2) I never said the band will fail. In fact, if you look back at my posts and read carefully, you'll see where I specifically said, "I'm not saying bands are bad."

3) It's Melly with an M.

I have to disagree with HH about the self pay vs. insurance thing. I'm sure WLS has some effect on prices but I'm sure it's not nearly as great as every wahoo that shows up at the ER with no insurance for a headache, toothache, stubbed toe, nose bleed etc. I pay for my insurance. I'm a little tired of feeling sorry for everyone without a job, insurance, living on the system, etc. Of course, that's a whole other thread. Probably best intended for rants and raves:lol:

I'm sorry. I thought by pointing out you were a registered nurse you were trying to say you would naturally know more about lapbands than me or someone who is not a registered nurse.

Nursenelly would be catchy though, don't you think? It truly was an accident though!

But there is this fear in me that if I eat something I'm not supposed to, I can loosen a stitch and that could lead to a slip. Oh no!! Don't want to have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. The person that posted that almost everyone has to have the lapband fixed or replaced, has really bummed me out!! Ugh! I wish she hadn't said that :(. It's just constantly ringing in my head. I would just go to ER and have it removed with my insurance as an emergency operation. Can't shell out another 15K. Anyways, I'm off the topic. Are you having to do a pre op diet for two weeks? I was told to do 1 week since I didn't have that much to lose. But, I decided to go ahead and do two weeks like everyone else. It consisted of 2 Protein Shakes and two meals which consisted of protein, vegetables and 1 fruit.

Don't worry so much about complications. They do happen, but if you google lapband complication statistics you will see that overall they are rare. And, the band and the way the surgery is done has changed in the past year which lowers chances of problems even further. So relax. There's no sense in worrying about that which probably won't occur and that which we have no control over! Just follow the rules and most likely you will do fine and be thin and healthy within a year!

just wondering... have many of you gotten really cranky and moody (esp the first 28 days) b.c you are only on liquids? I can see that being frustrating, however I am prepared!

I enjoyed a delicious cheed danish with my coffee yesterday, which i normally would never buy! LOL

I was on liquids only just the first 4 days and then was allowed cream Soups. All Dr's are different. I was eating mushies into the 2nd week. I was never hungry right up until my first fill........ however, this is not always the case I see on this board! You just have to follow your Dr's orders for eating and take in everything you are allowed to that first month so that you do not get hungry and tempted to eat something you shouldn't. You'll do great!!

Good luck Agnes, people sure got fired up over your post. I have seen this happen in real life too though. And sadly, it is why I don't go to the support group meetings in my area anymore. Some people seem to think there is a certain point at which it is acceptable to have weight loss surgery, and if you aren't 'fat enough' you aren't deserving of it. I have had people look at me and say, YOU had WLS? with a sneer.. as if just because I wasnt MORBIDLY obese it was unacceptable. I was OBESE (I'm not now, thanks to lapband, woohoo) . Why wait until your health further deteriorates before doing something proactive?? Good luck in Mexico!

But there is this fear in me that if I eat something I'm not supposed to, I can loosen a stitch and that could lead to a slip. Oh no!! Don't want to have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. The person that posted that almost everyone has to have the lapband fixed or replaced, has really bummed me out!! Ugh! I wish she hadn't said that :). It's just constantly ringing in my head. I would just go to ER and have it removed with my insurance as an emergency operation. Can't shell out another 15K. Anyways, I'm off the topic. Are you having to do a pre op diet for two weeks? I was told to do 1 week since I didn't have that much to lose. But, I decided to go ahead and do two weeks like everyone else. It consisted of 2 Protein Shakes and two meals which consisted of protein, vegetables and 1 fruit.

Well, my purpose in posting that was not to scare you. There's no need to obsess over it. I think because I am in the medical field, I tend to look at things through "worst case scenario" glasses. If I was in your position, I would definitely just start stocking away an "oh bleep" fund. We should all have that really cause even if you did go to the ER, they would treat you, but it is doubtful your insurance would pay. Your lapband would fall under a pre-existing condition. Anyways, stop worrying, follow the rules, save some money just in case, and start dropping that weight :( Good Luck!

I'm sorry. I thought by pointing out you were a registered nurse you were trying to say you would naturally know more about lapbands than me or someone who is not a registered nurse.

Nursenelly would be catchy though, don't you think? It truly was an accident though!

Oh Lord no, I wasn't trying to say that. My specialty is nowhere near bariatrics. NICU, school nursing, community health, I'm your gal =) I just thought maybe you were one of those people who come on here and say "well my doctor this or that." I just meant I know doctors are fallible just like the rest of us. Heh.

And, no, Nelly sounds horrible. Makes me think of that mean snot on Little House on the Prairie :(

FYI - I stayed at Marriot right by Ortiz's office. If you let them know you are having the procedure, they have a great chicken broth that they do not charge you for as part of their deal w. Ortiz. You have to tell them the broth, or they'll bring you the "soup" which had all sorts of tempting chicken and rice. Their ice pops are aweful, so ask Ortiz's staff to give you some extra to bring back to the hotel.

Good luck Agnes, people sure got fired up over your post. I have seen this happen in real life too though. And sadly, it is why I don't go to the support group meetings in my area anymore. Some people seem to think there is a certain point at which it is acceptable to have weight loss surgery, and if you aren't 'fat enough' you aren't deserving of it. I have had people look at me and say, YOU had WLS? with a sneer.. as if just because I wasnt MORBIDLY obese it was unacceptable. I was OBESE (I'm not now, thanks to lapband, woohoo) . Why wait until your health further deteriorates before doing something proactive?? Good luck in Mexico!

Aww, thats sad to hear. We all are going thtough the same thing.. so why cant we all support each other? but yeah, seeing how some people can be online, I can only imagine how some unsupportive people can be in person.

Well keep in touch, we'll support each other!!!

FYI - I stayed at Marriot right by Ortiz's office. If you let them know you are having the procedure, they have a great chicken broth that they do not charge you for as part of their deal w. Ortiz. You have to tell them the broth, or they'll bring you the "soup" which had all sorts of tempting chicken and rice. Their ice pops are aweful, so ask Ortiz's staff to give you some extra to bring back to the hotel.

Thanks for the heads up!!

I am staying at the other hotel, so i will see if they have some yummy broth. yeah, I think the office told me that anything I have should be included (not like I am gonna be eating a buffet or anything! LOL)

I keep the popsicles in mind!

THANKS!!