Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! Someone please reassure me!!!

This poster is not 50-55 lbs overweight, we are talking 30-40 if she wants to be anorexic. I am all for weight control and would have loved to stop my weight before I was 50lbs overweight, but I cant ever remember being just 50lbs overweight. There is a bigger issue here and this poster sounds like she is looking for a quick fix, this surgery is NOt a quick fix or easy way to reduce weight, it takes work, each and every day and I would hate to see someone go through surgery and fail because they did not understand that it is not a quick fix AND it requires 100% dedication to this for the long term.

A 50 pound weight loss would put her at a mid-range healthy BMI. I don't see why several people seem to think that is way too much weight for her to lose. She is 5'1" tall and could probably even lose 10 more pounds should she wish and still be healthy!!

Whew. Calm down everyone. I don't think there is a problem with people being banded at low BMI's. We shouldn't have to wait till we're barely able to walk down the street to qualify for surgery.

However, having said that, please make sure you really think this out. Self paying a band is risky. Do you live close to Mexico? Otherwise, it can be tough finding a US surgeon who will take you on as a patient. Also, fills can be pricey if you're paying out of pocket. IMHO, and please take this for what it's worth, there is no way I would self pay a band. It's just not cost effective. Bands do not last forever and most statistics show people need them replaced. That will be on your dime if your self pay. If I was self paying, I would look into other surgeries with less maintenance but that's just me.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Personally, I do think losing 50 pounds is worth going to Mexico and doing whatever it takes. My BMI was under 35, but I have lost and regained weight at least 6 times. I know I can lose the weight, but I have never been able to keep it off. And it's not like I go "off my diet" and regain it. I've made numerous efforts to continue a "maintenance diet" though Weight Watchers, but I've never been able to keep it off long term.

As my Dr. told me (I had it done in Dallas), yo-yo dieting is not good for anyone. I hope the band will help me lose the weight and keep it off long term. The surgery group I chose does lap bands for people with a BMI of 27 or higher.

I agree. The majority of us who carried just 50 excess pounds much of our lives lost and regained it many times. That is very unhealthy. Plus, 50 pounds can cause as many arthritic problems for some people as 100. It's important that they get it off and keep it off!!

Whew. Calm down everyone. I don't think there is a problem with people being banded at low BMI's. We shouldn't have to wait till we're barely able to walk down the street to qualify for surgery.

However, having said that, please make sure you really think this out. Self paying a band is risky. Do you live close to Mexico? Otherwise, it can be tough finding a US surgeon who will take you on as a patient. Also, fills can be pricey if you're paying out of pocket. IMHO, and please take this for what it's worth, there is no way I would self pay a band. It's just not cost effective. Bands do not last forever and most statistics show people need them replaced. That will be on your dime if your self pay. If I was self paying, I would look into other surgeries with less maintenance but that's just me.

Where did you get the statistics that most people need to have their bands replaced? They are meant to last forever. I don't think there have been enough years to test drive one for someone getting one in their 20's yet.

Where did you get the statistics that most people need to have their bands replaced? They are meant to last forever. I don't think there have been enough years to test drive one for someone getting one in their 20's yet.

Bands are not meant to last forever. There are very high reoperation rates with bands. I'm not saying bands are bad. I'm saying, it's very naive to think you will not need another operation. Just look around on these boards. There is almost no one here that is 5 years post op, and the ones that are have had something replaced.

I liken bands to breast implants. Some last 5 years, some last 10 but they all eventually need to be replaced. I would not be willing to pay out that type of money. I'm lucky in that insurance paid for mine and fills are $25. This is something people really need to think long and hard about.

Bands are not meant to last forever. There are very high reoperation rates with bands. I'm not saying bands are bad. I'm saying, it's very naive to think you will not need another operation. Just look around on these boards. There is almost no one here that is 5 years post op, and the ones that are have had something replaced.

I liken bands to breast implants. Some last 5 years, some last 10 but they all eventually need to be replaced. I would not be willing to pay out that type of money. I'm lucky in that insurance paid for mine and fills are $25. This is something people really need to think long and hard about.

Bands are not like breast implants!!!! Bands are constructed with the same materials as those used for knee replacements. Difference is knee replacements have to be replaced because they are constantly being heavily used. The band does not get that kind of wear and tear and is made to last forever. The people you see on this board are mostly new or people with problems. Those who have been successful with their bands and their weight loss move on with their lives and do not visit the board often.

If you are going to give such information that might frighten new bandsters or steer interested desperate people from getting a tool that might save their lives, you need to back it up with facts and references. Do not post your opinions as fact. This is wrong and I hope people recognize it as such.........just your opinion.

Bands are not like breast implants!!!! Bands are constructed with the same materials as those used for knee replacements. Difference is knee replacements have to be replaced because they are constantly being heavily used. The band does not get that kind of wear and tear and is made to last forever. The people you see on this board are mostly new or people with problems. Those who have been successful with their bands and their weight loss move on with their lives and do not visit the board often.

There is no need for excessive exclamation point use. I am not yelling at you. If that is what you choose to believe, so be it. I will not argue a moot point with someone wearing blinders.

However, to the OP, please consider what I am telling you. Do you have the money to self pay a band and then let's say 4 months later you need a port revision, will you then have money for that?

Visit the complications forum here on lapbandtalk.

Once again, I wish you luck in your decision.

Scared me! I self paid..... I was like..... WHAT??? I'm going to have to spend another $15,000. What have I done????? I'll make sure and ask my Dr.'s office.....

I have also heard from other surgeons (reliable resources) that bands can last for decades.

My surgeon says that some people have had a band 7-10 yrs out with no problems. I cannot speak for any yrs beyond that. Agnes...do you and be happy with your results. I hope you have a successful surgery and I agree jms...data to back up these comments is not hard to find..we have the greatest resource the internet and our surgeons...just ask.

These are not my opinions. I really am appalled by the utter lack or research people will do and get a band. The OP did not even understand the fill process. That's basic to having a band, yet she says she's done her research. People come on here and ask what's a PB? How can you not know that before surgery? Do your own internet search which is what everyone should do. Also, access medical journals if you are able. I'm not saying bands are bad. I'm saying it's very, very naive to think it will last forever.

Once again, go to the complications forum. I hope others who are more well versed will come in here such as Wasa. Like I said, IMO I would never self pay a band.

GO FOR IT! Got banded by Ortiz on 6/3/09. I am 5'9' and weighed 212 (BMI of 32) and it's totally worth it. Why wait till your another 50 pounds overweight to correct the problem. You will be very happy with the band and Ortiz.

THANKS HUN!!!!

It's good to hear that SOME people understand you!!

GO FOR IT! Got banded by Ortiz on 6/3/09. I am 5'9' and weighed 212 (BMI of 32) and it's totally worth it. Why wait till your another 50 pounds overweight to correct the problem. You will be very happy with the band and Ortiz.

thank you!!

Good luck to you as well!!

I agree. The majority of us who carried just 50 excess pounds much of our lives lost and regained it many times. That is very unhealthy. Plus, 50 pounds can cause as many arthritic problems for some people as 100. It's important that they get it off and keep it off!!

Yet again, the original poster is NOT 50 pounds overweight.

She's barely 30.

HUGE difference. AND she has apparently NEVER had weight issues, other than right now.

This is not directed simply at low BMI people. But this poster has not "struggled" with weight loss, she simply wants a quick fix so she can be a size 4 again.

It's her choice, it's her money, but I will not support someone who is so foolish as to place her vanity above her own health.

And, the way I read it, that's exactly what she is doing.

And that's what she came in here for, reinforcement and support for something that she doesn't need.

She will be in for a rude awakening when she realizes had she just simply PRETENDED she had the band and done the 21-day liquid diet then mushies diet, along with the very important step of physical exercise, she would have lost all her "excess weight" and ended up with the same result, only without major surgery and with money still in her pocket.

:(