Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July Bandsters out there?

Hi all,

I am new here. Finally got my approval from Bluelincs for my lapband. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gornichec in Oklahoma City on July 23rd. I am both excited and a bit nervous about the surgery itself. Anyone getting banded by Dr. Gornichec?

Stacey

Hi all,

I am new here. Finally got my approval from Bluelincs for my lapband. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gornichec in Oklahoma City on July 23rd. I am both excited and a bit nervous about the surgery itself. Anyone getting banded by Dr. Gornichec?

Stacey

Hi Stacey,

Yes, I will be banded by Dr. G on Tuesday.

Paulette

Ocotillo, I had my surgery on July 1st, I had real pain the first day, the second day sore and since then, I am fine. I dont have any problems unless I turn too fast without thinking or something like that. Right now I really miss sleeping on my stomach, but maybe in a few more days! Also, I'm not hungry at all...but my husband and brother are trying to torture me. I dont even think about food until they cook, which the house smells of fried pork chops, fried corn, gravy and rolls right now(yes, we are from the south). I'm not hungry but the smell is driving me crazy, maybe its just bc I cant have it. However, this sounds crazy you said you were burping, I have tried and I have not been able to burp since I was banded! I havent heard of that before. I dont know if it is normal or if maybe it is bc I had to have a hernia repaired, or if I am just an odd ball! So if anyone else has heard of this please let me know. Also, for anyone else that is pending surgery date..the pain is tolerable. The first day is the worst but after that life starts to get back to normal and this is coming from someone that has a pretty low pain tolerence.

I'm being banded on Monday!! 7/6/09!!! Totally psyched and also nervous as can be lol!! I've been on the pre-op Protein Shake diet for two weeks and I am craving chinese food so bad. Luckily I'm too lazy to go get it, so I can't mess up. I'll let you all know how I do!

Chinese food was my downfall in my 2 week preop diet. I had surgery on Wed but the Monday before I went to the chinese buffet for my "last meal". But the high protein/low carb is too shrink your liver and make the surgery easier on you and the surgeon so it is best if you stick to it. Good luck!

I am having my surgery on July 27th. I'm very excited! I'm so glad we are here to support each other!

Becky <><

I'm being banded on Monday!! 7/6/09!!! Totally psyched and also nervous as can be lol!! I've been on the pre-op Protein shake diet for two weeks and I am craving chinese food so bad. Luckily I'm too lazy to go get it, so I can't mess up. I'll let you all know how I do!

Good luck to you Tomina! I'm the day after you! :smile2:

July 7th appears to be a popular day. Lucky number 7 perhaps? LOL I'm supposed to be the first one of the day at an outpatient surgical center. I'm hoping to be up and walkin' around and out by noon. I'm nervous and excited and just ready for it all to be over with so that the healing can begin. I'm sooo looking forward to being able to eat again. This liquid diet has been tough for me and I have cheated a couple of times, but still had lost 7lbs.

Good luck to everyone! I wish you a complication free surgery and a speedy recovery!

Lucky 7 it is! I'll just be going under when you're heading home....wishing you lots of luck and a speedy recovery too!

Hi Everyone!

I am July 8th with Dr. Kuri...but I have to admit, I am nervous as heck... I was so gung ho on being banded and have done so much research and have been so excited...but now that it is 3 days away, I am very scared and having second thoughts. Any words of advice/encouragement are welcome.

My thoughts:

Clearly getting the lap band is a life-changing surgery for the better, there are some things that I just can't get over. I love to go out and eat and drink(beer especially...) and be merry and I am affraid that with the lap band, this part of my life will be signifigantly changed. But then I try to keep in mind that when I am skinny and healthy and hot, who needs to eat and drink so much, right?

Then there is the fact that I am only 26 years old and am young and healthy enough to lose the weight on my own....the problem here is that I have lost the weight on my own so many times and have ALWAYS gained it back :( So with the lap band as a tool, hopefully this would no longer be an issue.

The last thing is that I am embarassed about the whole thing. My mom is the only family member that knows about my surgery and only a handful of my friends know. I feel like it is a private matter and it is no one's business but my own. BUT, as I mentioned before...I like to go out and have fun...so what do I say when I can no longer have a beer or take a shot or binge eat with my girlfriends after a breakup (haha)? I guess the bottom line is that I want to better myself, my health, my appearance and overall well being, but as I said before, I am totally doubting myself. I feel like at this point I can either talk myself into going through with this or forgetting the whole thing. Please help! Thanks :)

Hi Everyone!

I am July 8th with Dr. Kuri...but I have to admit, I am nervous as heck... I was so gung ho on being banded and have done so much research and have been so excited...but now that it is 3 days away, I am very scared and having second thoughts. Any words of advice/encouragement are welcome.

My thoughts:

Clearly getting the lap band is a life-changing surgery for the better, there are some things that I just can't get over. I love to go out and eat and drink(beer especially...) and be merry and I am affraid that with the lap band, this part of my life will be signifigantly changed. But then I try to keep in mind that when I am skinny and healthy and hot, who needs to eat and drink so much, right?

Then there is the fact that I am only 26 years old and am young and healthy enough to lose the weight on my own....the problem here is that I have lost the weight on my own so many times and have ALWAYS gained it back :) So with the lap band as a tool, hopefully this would no longer be an issue.

The last thing is that I am embarassed about the whole thing. My mom is the only family member that knows about my surgery and only a handful of my friends know. I feel like it is a private matter and it is no one's business but my own. BUT, as I mentioned before...I like to go out and have fun...so what do I say when I can no longer have a beer or take a shot or binge eat with my girlfriends after a breakup (haha)? I guess the bottom line is that I want to better myself, my health, my appearance and overall well being, but as I said before, I am totally doubting myself. I feel like at this point I can either talk myself into going through with this or forgetting the whole thing. Please help! Thanks :)

I've been thinking about these after surgery moments too. I don't like beer and have weaned myself from dependance on pop so I'm good with no carbonation. I too can lose (after working my arse off) and then gain it back with just as much fervor. I think the band will help keep me on the wagon even when I don't wanna be, if that makes sense. My downfall is chinese buffets or any buffet for that matter. I love having this and this and this until I'm satisfied. I like variety. I too find myself being an emotional eater. This liquid diet has tried my last nerve in regards to looking to food to soothe myself. I have cheated, but not to the point of ok I give up. I realize why I cheated (I allowed myself to get to a starving point) and then work to not do it again.

I have told many people about my surgery. Mostly co workers that I feel comfortable with and family and some inlaws. I believe in time that WLS will become even less of a taboo, but you do what you like. You don't have to share it with anyone if you're not comfortable, it's not like we all have xray's on hand to detect the elusive bandster! :) Besides, who cares honestly? If you're attacked for your choice I think it could be due to jealousy and the low self esteem of the attacker. Screw 'em! :P It's your life, live it!

I'm having surger in two days. I was given a rx for xanax (sp?) as I'm a little surgery gun shy after having an ovary removed a few years ago (was supposed to be lapro, but they gave me a c-section incision in addition to lapro) and am having all of the second thoughts too. A male friend from high school who had the lapband surgery last summer told me to expect to regret my decision for a few minutes up to two days after surgery, but then it's all good. I'll be keeping that in mind.

Sorry to be so long winded, I get carried away. I hope everything works out for the best and good luck!:(

I'm hoping to have my surgery in July. I completed my last WLV on 6/30 and was told by my PA that she would submit my paperwork that evening. So I'm hoping to hear something from my PA or insurance company by 7/10. :(

I'm anxious to get the call saying "you have been approved".

BFN :)

Well, I had my surgery on July 2, 2009. The Operation was done in about 45 minutes and I was out of the surgery center a few hours after arriving. The pain immediately after surgery was not that bad. I rated by pain at about 2 out of 10. The gas pain sucked alot, it felt like my chest was in a vise all day and I couldn't really get rid of that feeling the first day. That evening is when I felt most sore. I ended up taking some of the liqiud pain meds they prescribed before bed.

Day 2:

Pain still mild, I noticed a sharp pain when I sat/or stood up from the largest of the incision areas. It actually felt like it was near the incision, not the incision itself. I am guessing that it might be the port causing the pain? not really sure. The second evening I did not have to take the pain meds as I didn't feel too bad. The gas pain was also very mild. I have been eating alot of those gas-x strips:)

Day 3:

Saturday was actually not that bad, I figured if I pressed my hand against my stomach when i stood or sat, the sharp pain went away. Mostly lots of stomach talking and making noise. It's not that I feel the urge to go eat anything, its just wierd. Oh and the first day of eating jello/pudding. Absolutely great.

Day 4:

Most of the sharp pain I had from earlier is gone. I can still feel it but not as bad. Overall I feel alright. I am not dizzy or anything. When I have something to drink or eat, as a apple sauce, my stomach starts to roar. I think my stomach is mad because it hasn't had any solid food for 5 days.

Oh and the thing that sucks for me the most the first couple nights was not being able to really sleep on my left side. The pain was too much. I just love to roll around when I sleep, so laying on my back or just to the right, really sucked.

HI all...

I am getting banded on the 20th! I"m scared nervous.. but oh well..

I am on a Protein Shake diet for 14 days! its taste gross! blah...

wish me luck!

I am to be banded on July 22. I started the shakes today. I am very excited.

Hi all - I'm getting banded on July 27. I'm not required to do a pre-op diet, but I think I'm going to do liquids the week prior.

I'm anxious, but nervous too

Good luck to everyone