Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 42 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds

2 days before surgery and I am very nervous. I am a 56 year old man who has never had surgery, never had anesthesia. I keep questioning my decision to go under the knife. On one hand I feel fine right now, enjoying life, why would I elect a surgery that will commit me to a recovery process and months of fills trying to get that “sweet spot”. Its not like I am hurt or physically ill where surgery would make you feel better. This feels almost like cosmetic surgery, where you are not sick but get an operation to look better.

On the other hand I am diabetic, high everything, sleep apnea and feel like man mountain when walking around. I wear my car. My knees are starting to hurt, and my diabetic control is getting more difficult. So I guess I am in pain and sick, and this surgery will give me the tools to get better.

Back and forth, back and forth, getting dizzy just thinking about it. When I really think about it the most concern I have is that I will wake up from the surgery hungry and stay that way, without the ability to satisfy myself. I guess that fear is why I have always eaten a lot of food at any one time, afraid I not be able to find food to eat the next time I get hungry. I hate being hungry.

So I am going ahead with the surgery anyways, all the thinking has been done, and I am operating on pure faith that all this will work.

Edited by Scottinnh

Scott -

Before you know it you will be getting ready for surgery and you'll wake up with a whole new chance at a healthy life in front of you. I understand your hesitancy to have surgery - this was only my 2nd surgery as an adult.

Have a pillow handy for the ride home. I used one immediately after surgery to hold against my stomach, mainly my port incision. I felt it made it more comfy when turning over at night too, even once I got home. I think I did that for 7-10 days.

Like you I have comorbidities as well. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea. My parents both had diabetes so I knew I was headed that direction for sure if I didn't get my weight under control once and for all. My blood pressure is now normal - still on my medication but it had crept up prior to surgery even with my medication, so normal even on meds is an improvement for me. My doctor told me to keep an eye on it, and if it coninues to go down I may be able to cut back on my medication soon (woohoo!). I'm anxious to see what my cholesterol is, just had that tested Friday, and my sleep apnea has improved.

I haven't felt starving at all. When I got hungry weeks 4-6 after surgery I could have some Protein to tide me over, so I've never felt I had to starve at all in this process. I only get hungry at mealtime - and it is a different hunger than I had the first 47 years of my life.

Follow your doctor's orders for your postop diet and care. You may see differing views from other's doctors on here, but do what YOUR doctor says. You may have a period where you don't lose before your first fill (mine was weeks 2-6) - that's normal, be prepared for that. Your body will be healing and adjusting. Once you start the process of fills the band will work if you work it.

Best of luck with your surgery - and keep us posted on how you are doing once you are feeling up to posting!! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Edited by bambam

Scott, this is not a horrible surgery for 99% of those who have it. Many, many of us were back to normal activities within a couple of days. The first couple of weeks of liquids isn't the most pleasant time, but it's short, it does come to an end. Gone are the days where you could stuff yourself full of food, eating so fast that you hardly tasted it but suddenly felt full to bursting. You will learn what "full" truly feels like. Sure, I dieted successfully several times; keeping it off, well, not so much. I always felt hungry and eventually fell off the wagon. No more.

I had high blood pressure even with meds, Type II Diabetes and high cholesterol. My knees were starting to bother me, too. I am off ALL my meds. Cholesterol and blood pressure are normal. My blood glucose average (hba1C) is 7 without meds. Not 6, where I want it to be, but 7 is acceptable.

Was it worth it? YOU BETCHA!

I was 55 when I got my surgery on February 6th this year. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was taking 4 shots a day .. 2 lantus and 2 byetin pen. I was taking 3 diebetic medicines .. high blood pressure medicine and high chloresterol medicine .. I have not taken anything since the day before the surgery. I have lost 71 pounds and 12 inches from the waist. It has been a great tool.

Scott, I just had my surgery May 15th and I was really really nervous, yet excited because I new it was a whole new life. You'll be fine and this board has LOADS and LOADS of information that you will always have at your reach, as well as your doctors. :blush: We'll see you on the "flipside"!!!

Hi Scott

I too, am feeling the same as you.....Its the fear of the unknown...and for me...the fear of failure.

I am a Self Pay for my surgery and I am soo scared of failure.

My surgery is May 28th. Flying out to Toronto ON tomorrow.

Shelley

Hi,

I had my lap band placed just this morning, and I know exactly the type of thoughts you are having because I've had them too. I additionally suffer from anxiety problems, and dealt with that this morning. The whole process went by quickly, though, and honestly, the worst part for me was the waiting this morning for my surgery, and even that wasn't too bad.

I had my husband there in the pre-surgery area and found that him continually talking and joking with me distracted me enough so that I wasn't as anxious as I thought. The nurses were great and continually checked on me, making me feel better. I got lidocaine to numb the top of my hand before they put in the IV, and for some reason not feeling the IV there made me feel better. Then as soon as they wheeled me in to the OR, they gave me a sedative which completely knocked me out, so I didn't even have to stay awake in the OR for more than a minute. The next thing I knew I woke up with a little discomfort, but it wasn't by any means unbearable.

Since I got home, I've been able to drink Water, juice and broth, get up and walk around, and play around on my computer. My discomfort has changed from gas to a little muscle pain, but the pain medication makes me feel better. I haven't been hungry yet, although I expect to be! I know my experience is not a long term one, but if I knew before hand what I know now, I wouldn't have been so anxious going in.

I am going to have faith that what others say about adjusting to a changed relationship with food is true. On my way home I passed all my favorite fast food places. I thought to myself that it may be a hard journey, but that I am worth it, and so are you!

My suggestion was to bring bottled Water with you for the car ride home. I was so thirsty!

Hi Scott

I too, am feeling the same as you.....Its the fear of the unknown...and for me...the fear of failure.

I am a Self Pay for my surgery and I am soo scared of failure.

My surgery is May 28th. Flying out to Toronto ON tomorrow.

Shelley

We are bandster twins! Same day surgery, we should compare notes as we recover into our new life! Today is my last day at work, I took next week off as well, but if I feel like I can I will return earlier and save some of those vacation days! June 15th is our 35th wedding anniversary, and I don't think we will be going out to dinner to celebrate!!

47 hours and 20 minutes for me. :thumbup: I can't wait... It's been over a year since I set this all in motion. A long time coming....

Good luck!