Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your WLS choice?

IMO the sleeve has the best hunger control. Band hunger control depends on getting to the sweet spot. Not everyone does. RnY patients still have the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin and start to feel hungrier soon post-op and stronger on average.

Actually from what I've read there is a decreased production of ghrelin after RNY and so you're not as hungry as you used to be.

I have read that but I have a link to a study where they actually measured and said there was almost no reduction in ghrelin.

I know a lot of people with bypass who are over a year out and I see that they have more issues with hunger than those who have a sleeve do at the same point. I think it's because the stoma gets bigger over time, but it could be the ghrelin.

It also seems like some DSers have more hunger than those with sleeves. With the bigger sleeves, sometimes not all of the fundus gets transected so there is some left there producing ghrelin.

When I started to research WLS I was leaning towards the band. It seemed to be a simple surgery and not very invasive.

Then I started reading different boards and about how unhappy so many were and the problems they were having. What struck me were the healthy foods that seemed to not work with the band, such as broccoli and other vegetables. I thought that was terrible. I wanted to eat less but I still wanted to be able to eat some of my favorite vegetables, etc.

When I started to research WLS I was leaning towards the band. It seemed to be a simple surgery and not very invasive.

Then I started reading different boards and about how unhappy so many were and the problems they were having. What struck me were the healthy foods that seemed to not work with the band, such as broccoli and other vegetables. I thought that was terrible. I wanted to eat less but I still wanted to be able to eat some of my favorite vegetables, etc.

That's the thing; I basically eat healthy, I just wanted something that helped me to eat less. I love veggies and fish and lean meats.

I think I just had a simple case of band intolerance from the beginning; once I started solids, no matter how much I chewed, chewed, chewed, solids always felt weird going down. I only had one tiny fill the whole time, and I had an experienced band surgeon, ( no slip or erosion), so it wasn't that. It was the sensation of food going down that made me uncomfortable, made me feel like someone was sitting next to me choking me everytime I ate something solid.

I tried to work with the band, since I was a self pay and thought this was just the way it was, but eventually my more rationale side won out and said this can't be the right, so I started researching the VSG.

Also, since I really couldn't tolerate solids I would eat slider foods, because I WAS STLL HUNGRY! For me, the band did nothing to abate my hunger, thus my problem with overeating was exacerbated since I couldn't eat solid heathy food, so I ate junk and sweets that went down easily. So, I gained instead of losing. I also became more and more depressed, and some days, it was very difficult to get out of bed.

Fast forward to the sleeve. I am able to eat healthy foods, just less of them. I get full on a few bites. I have hunger, but it is quickly satisfied with the few bites. If I try to eat too much of something sweet, I get very nauseated. So, where before, I used to eat maybe four candybars at a sitting, now, I can be satisfied with a piece of peppermint candy every now and then.

I had my revision on March the 11th, and currently weigh 160#, 30 # from goal. The results I've had with the sleeve are what I wanted; ability to eat healthy but less, something to bring my sweet tooth under control, weight loss without having to kill myself in the gym. THIS is why I wanted WLS and THIS is what I got with the sleeve.

That's the thing; I basically eat healthy, I just wanted something that helped me to eat less. I love veggies and fish and lean meats.

Fast forward to the sleeve. I am able to eat healthy foods, just less of them. I get full on a few bites. I have hunger, but it is quickly satisfied with the few bites. If I try to eat too much of something sweet, I get very nauseated. So, where before, I used to eat maybe four candybars at a sitting, now, I can be satisfied with a piece of peppermint candy every now and then.

I had my revision on March the 11th, and currently weigh 160#, 30 # from goal. The results I've had with the sleeve are what I wanted; ability to eat healthy but less, something to bring my sweet tooth under control, weight loss without having to kill myself in the gym. THIS is why I wanted WLS and THIS is what I got with the sleeve.

You sound like me -- I eat very healthy for the most part - and if I do have a sweet craving, I can satisfy it with one of those mini candy bars ... I just eat too much and even too much of a good thing can be bad for you ... so my hope with the sleeve is to help me eat less, get my weight off and KEEP it off once and for all. I realize there is work involved, and that is fine with me, as I enjoy doing pilates, walking and bike riding ... I just need a tool to help me limit the quantity.