Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am working my way through the process of getting banded and I have been doing a lot of research into the whole band versus by-pass question. So, for those of you that have also done your research, can you give me five reasons why you have chosen the lap band over gastric by-pass? I have issues which could make either choice reasonable. I just wondered what has made any of you make the decision to go with the lap band.

Thanks.

Elgrad

was banded myself dec. 2008..decided on that because i wanted to control my weight lose..didnt want such and extensive surgery. wanted to keep my part in tact..lol Im very happy with my decision..and have lost 64 lbs so it defietely works as well as by-pass..but you do need to have more self control with banding as opposed to by-pass

I discarded the idea of bypass surgery back before I'd ever even heard of a lap band. Why? (1) I didn't want my stomach cut apart. (2) The "bypass" part of gastric bypass means they skip (bypass) part of your intestines as well. This can lead to a somewhat common complication ... malnutrition. I didn't want to worry that even though I could eat what was right it might not be enough good nutrition for me. (3) Dumping syndome... you eat something sweet or maybe greasy and your intestines suddenly decide to "dump" everything inside you....feces, partially digested food, digestive juices....and all in an uncontrolled, fairly sudden urge. (4) I wanted to have a normal life .... birthday cake, maybe a few bites of ice cream now and then. I didn't want the negatives I perceived about GB taking away that flexibility.

So there are my reasons. I didn't need five. But, actually, there was one more. I never thought I was SOOOO fat that I had to do that to myself.

1. I'm worried about malabsorption issues as I age. Older people are at greater risk for malnutrition anyway; rerouting my guts so I can live longer just to be malnourished seem at best ill advised.

2. My husband's been an RN for 25+ years and worked in a GI lab for a chunk of that time. By Pass patients have MANY GI issues. It stands to reason...because of the nature of the surgery....and I didn't want to trade one problem or disease for another.

3. I couldn't stand the thought of my stomach sewn shut but just sitting inside me...still producing acid, but closed off from everything. Seems unhealthy and just WRONG and in a way it is; you're just blocking it off but it's still there.

4. The band is reversible so that if I need to be able to eat more, for whatever reason, or if I had just "flipped out" and been unable to adapt, it could be removed. As an Adjunct to that, because they ARE researching obesity and may come up with a better intervention some day...the band can be removed so I can opt for the "better" new thing. If it ever happens.

5. At 5 years out, lap band patients and bypass patients have similar weight loss (55% - 60% of their excess weight) but bypass patients have more medical issues.

6. With the band I can still eat foods I love, just in moderation. I am more "normal". Bypass patients often have things like dumping syndrome, for example, where if they eat sweets they have symptoms much like a panic attack or heart attack. I, on the other hand, can have a piece (albeit a small one!) of birthday cake on my birthday and not need a trip to the ER.

7. Down the road if I lose a lot and start gaining, I can always get my band filled a little more. Bypass patients...if you stretch out your tiny tummy, you're screwed.

Even the one big NO NO for bandsters...carbonation...many successful bandsters more than a year or so out can indulge if they want. So I may life a glass of champagne at my 70th birthday, and have a bite of cake, and not have any GI upsets or be malnourished.

Those are just some of the biggies for me.

Hey

I chose the band over the bypass because

1. There are less serious complications with the band

2. Band is removable if needed

3. Chance of death much lower with band. Mortality rates with RNY are approx 1 percent. I guess higher the more you weigh also.

Good luck with your choice.

I chose the band.

1. Because it was approved for me to do it, and I have restrictions that don't allow me to do anything else at this time.

2. I knew my main problem was Portion Control, and it seemed like it would do a good job of helping me with this. (it has)

3. I was more then willing to do the things necessary to lose the weight according to the band rules. I just didn't want to yo yo diet anymore.

4. I could have it done quickly and be back to work quickly

5. I could afford it, and was desperate.

My wife on the other hand will be getting gastric sleeve.

1. Because her eating issues are strong cravings and bad decisions. Hopefully, the sleeve will better help with this, as the band really doesn't do anything for this.

2. She also has trouble with portion control.

3. She would never do well, with the stuck episodes and would revert to soft foods to avoid them. (she wouldn't follow band rules)

4. She also wouldn't do well with fills and aftercare. She is really good about doing things she is told for a couple of months, but then will get frustrated and quit. The sleeve post op diet is very strict, but she will follow it to the T.

5. Aftercare costs are much less with the sleeve.

6. Bypass, is totally not going to happen. It just doesn't get rid of the hormone producing part of hunger which is why most of us are overweight. It also has too many aftercare issues that can happen from malnutrition.

1.band is a lot less dangous than bypass

2. bypass people always seem to have that hollowed out look in the face like they are sick

3.the band has a much quicker recovery time

4.the band does not have the risk of Vitamin deficices

5. can be reversed

I got my band in december of last year and I'm really glad I went with the band instead of RNY for the following reasons.

-I liked that the band wasn't permanant. If something serious happened I could always get it taken out. Or if for some reason I didn't like the band then I could take it out and then go with RNY.

-I'm young so if I get pregnant it is safer to have the band.

-I like the fact that if I loose restriction I can always go in and get another fill instead of just dealing with your stomach stretching (I have heard about a new procedure that can make your stomach smaller if you've had RNY and it's stertched out.)

-I've heard about issues with people who have had RNY having problems with really smelly gas and burping. I didn't really want to deal with this. I'm in school and I'm sure it would be no fun being the "smelly girl".

-I don't like the sound of dumping or malabsorbtion.

With that being said I love my band and I'm glad I went with it!

I got my band in december of last year and I'm really glad I went with the band instead of RNY for the following reasons.

-I liked that the band wasn't permanant. If something serious happened I could always get it taken out. Or if for some reason I didn't like the band then I could take it out and then go with RNY.

-I'm young so if I get pregnant it is safer to have the band.

-I like the fact that if I loose restriction I can always go in and get another fill instead of just dealing with your stomach stretching (I have heard about a new procedure that can make your stomach smaller if you've had RNY and it's stertched out.)

-I've heard about issues with people who have had RNY having problems with really smelly gas and burping. I didn't really want to deal with this. I'm in school and I'm sure it would be no fun being the "smelly girl".

-I don't like the sound of dumping or malabsorbtion.

With that being said I love my band and I'm glad I went with it!

You know, My Husband had a Bypass. And he is no more smelly than he used to be. Except when we have sex. Then he gets all sweaty and everything. You know, the juices and all? yes!and as far as the "sound of dumping and malabsorbtion". They don't really make any sounds, you know. Except for the sex thing, like I said. Then there are some sounds, baby!.I'm thinking about getting a band. But my hubby loves his bypass. So, I'm still trying to decide.

The most obvious difference is that the band can be adjusted after surgery as per your requirement.

Because lap band surgery is minimally invasive, the scars are minimal compared to gastric bypass surgery. Patients usually have less pain, shorter hospital stays and a shorter recovery period.

The lap band surgery for loosing weight has fewer risks and side effects compared to gastric bypass surgery.

Hi,

I have already mentioned that i wanted to go through a surgery but i could not decide which is better lapband or gastric by pass.Please tell me which is the better option?

Thanks

:drool:

Well, I made the decision to undergo a LAP-BAND instead of bypass because I just don't like the concept of cutting apart my stomach-the surgical risks are much greater, and the long-term success for the band and RNY is similar. I'll take the less invasive version, thank you. There are less surgical risks and potential post-op complications with the band. And yes, I do know that it is a lot more work to get there (slower rate of weight loss, having to see doc for fills and finding good restriction, etc), and that is okay with me. I'm willing to make those sacrifices. Secondly, I plan on having another baby, and I like that the band can be unfilled during that time. I don't want to worry about not being able to get enough nutrients to support a baby. Third, I don't want to deal with dumping syndrome. While I understand both surgeries require you to curb that sweet tooth, I do want to be able to indulge in a bite of birthday cake on my birthday, and not be sent running to the bathroom to chunk it up. Fourth, I like that the band is adjustable. It's individualized based on what you need at any particular time. And lastly, I don't like the idea of having to worry about malnutrition issues. I understand that with RNY they only bypass something like 6 feet of intestine, leaving 24 feet intact to absorb nutrients. But in my case I don't want to be dependent on B-12 shots and Iron in addition to a daily Vitamin. That being said, that doesn't mean the band is right for everyone. I recommend seeing your surgeon and getting his/her opinion. In my case, my surgeon has done hundreds of bands and thousands of RNYs--he goes over the specifics of each, asks your opinion and gives his. There are certain patient populations he will not do bands on and certain ones he won't do RNY on. Every surgery is unique. I say do as much research as you can, find a good surgeon, and get his/her opinion on what may be right for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do though!

1) I want to get pregnanat again in the future (adjustable).

2) hair loss from malnutrition might be a problem for me.

3) I like soft foods in general :thumbup: (I like things like sushi and ground meat, I don't like steaks or chops of any kind) so I knew the diet would be manageable.

4) I want to loose weight slow enough to lie about how it's happening if asked-or tell the truth which is that "I'm eating less". :cursing: With by-pass weight loss happens too quickly and people would be suspicious (excess skin too?).

5) Mortality rates...I don't suffer from any other ailments because of my weight so the risks don't outweigh the benefits of bypass.

1. They virtually never do the bypass in Australia

2. I want the adjustability of the band. I find it an advantage. I have had some fill out again recently becuase I just find I wasnt eating enough to fuel me, and I didnt need to get any thinner. I live a virtually normal life now, nobody would know I was banded by what I eat, I eat a good 1800 calories of normal healthy food from all food groups each and every day and i have enough energy to run, do boot camp and circuit training. I can eat enough food and a wide enough variety of food that nutrition is not an issue, I dont need supplements etc.

3. I was worried about getting old and not being able to eat well enough. My family do tend to get scary skinny in old age, and lots of restriction is not going to help that.

4. I wanted the option, when something better comes along to undo my band and do something else. I dont know that I would though now, my life is perfectly normal and I'm perfectly happy.

5. I had a BMI of 36. Bypass to me was just waaaaay too drastic.

I think everyone has covered all the points, but my personal five reasons for choosing the band are:

1. It's reversible
  2. It's adjustable-- so if my stomach shrinks, I can get the band tightened
  3. Lower mortality rate
  4. Statistics show higher success rate for bandsters, whereas some bypass patients gain weight back
  5. There is no rerouting of my pipes---everything is exactly the same inside (except I have a little accessory to help me LOL)--bypass is major surgery

And the bonus#6--dumping. Can't bring my self to be punished for making bad choices. I want to have the control over what I eat, when I eat and how--I just needed a little tool to help me control how much.

Hope this helps!!!