Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6th fill and can't keep anything down

Today I had my 6th fill and I am 9 months post op. I've never had an issue of not being able to keep things down, well at least not until today. I drank an entire bottle of Water in the office before driving home. Drank some more in the car and several other things throughout the evening, but now I can't get anything to go down. Any suggestions, comments or thoughts?

If you can't drink tomorrow morning call and get a slight unfill. Don't DONT wait and see if it will get better; you'll get stuck going to the ER over the weekend because you're dehydrated.

We need liquid daily; if you wait to see if you magically loosen up (and if you can't drink Water, that won't happen) you'll get dehydrated very quickly. A slight unfill will leave you with restriction but able to drink, and will save you having to maybe get a complete unfill while things calm down!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I would give it a rest and not do anything else until morning. You probably have some swelling going on may need to let it all rest until tomorrow. I would then start with liquids, then to mushies, and then back to normal. If you still have trouble in a couple of days, call your doc.

That has happened to me twice in 2 months and I had to get an unfill both times. Best wishes, I hope you don't suffer the way I did.

Mimi

hi,after my last fill 3 weeks ago,i had the same problem (even posted it on here,asking for help myself),was very scary especially when i couldnt even hold down fluids but it did eventually loosen up.By the second day i was able to drink fluids,not in big gulps but in small frequent sips,and if that fails you could try sucking on ice blocks or icypoles,or even a wet face washer if you dont want to get an unfill,like i didnt.

i will say though,after 3 weeks i am still having problems eating which really frustrates me,especially when im hungry,and i am having my hair falling out and bruising which i know is not good,but i am being able to keep small amounts down now.unlike when i first got the fill.

I have got 6.2 in my band now and have heaps of restriction.

Im not saying this is the way to go,but its the way i chose and all the best to you.

hi there

it seems you and I are at the same place. I just had my fill about a week ago and for the first time, feel that I have now reached my "sweet spot". I get full after a small portion of food and under no circumstance can I drink after I eat. I did experience severe pain when I did that the other day.. never again. I had my surgery on Aug. 6, 2008 and I am down 81 lbs. I am very very happy with the band, and I doubt that I will be getting anymore fills for quite awhile. Good luck

Today I had my 6th fill and I am 9 months post op. I've never had an issue of not being able to keep things down, well at least not until today. I drank an entire bottle of Water in the office before driving home. Drank some more in the car and several other things throughout the evening, but now I can't get anything to go down. Any suggestions, comments or thoughts?

Sounds exactly like my last (2nd) fill. I went right away and got just .5 cc removed and it made a big difference and was a huge relief. I continued to lose, but was able to eat like we are supposed to. I do not wish to be too tight and have constant problems and fear of eating. I'd rather take it a bit slower!!

hi,after my last fill 3 weeks ago,i had the same problem (even posted it on here,asking for help myself),was very scary especially when i couldnt even hold down fluids but it did eventually loosen up.By the second day i was able to drink fluids,not in big gulps but in small frequent sips,and if that fails you could try sucking on ice blocks or icypoles,or even a wet face washer if you dont want to get an unfill,like i didnt.

i will say though,after 3 weeks i am still having problems eating which really frustrates me,especially when im hungry,and i am having my hair falling out and bruising which i know is not good,but i am being able to keep small amounts down now.unlike when i first got the fill.

I have got 6.2 in my band now and have heaps of restriction.

Im not saying this is the way to go,but its the way i chose and all the best to you.

Why would you want to lose your hair, bruise and chance ruining your health when you could get a tiny amt removed and eat the way the band was intended to let you eat, find your real sweet spot and lose weight in a more healthy way.

Just thought I'd update everyone who's been so kind to respond. I'm able to drink baby spoon size amounts of liquids but still no food of any type. I'm going tomorrow afternoon for a slight unfill, which will hopefully make a world of difference. Thanks for all your support. Heck in just 4 days I've lost 10 pounds, miserably I might add, which I've never experienced since getting banded so I'm ready to return to the good old days before I got this last fill.

Just thought I'd update everyone who's been so kind to respond. I'm able to drink baby spoon size amounts of liquids but still no food of any type. I'm going tomorrow afternoon for a slight unfill, which will hopefully make a world of difference. Thanks for all your support. Heck in just 4 days I've lost 10 pounds, miserably I might add, which I've never experienced since getting banded so I'm ready to return to the good old days before I got this last fill.

I feel for you!!! I lost 3 lbs. in 1 day!!! It's not fun at all when it's too tight. And it's not supposed to be that way and can cause problems. Even if it does loosen up, it probably won't be to the extent it should be!! This weight loss procedure should not be torture!! Good luck to you. I know you will feel a huge relief with just a bit out.

Good luck, I've had to go back twice now for an unfill and of course afterwards I have no restriction and back in bandster hell. I go next week for a fill again and I hope third time is the charm. My doc says we keep overshooting (needing the unfill) and then undershooting (which is where I am now) my sweet spot. I have gained a few pounds and really starting to freak out. So good luck to you. I am 8 months post op and really happy with my progress but hoping to figure this our before I start to gain wieght.