Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alternate ways to speed up weight loss

Has anybody tried ways to speed up their weight loss such as diet pills, Water pills, particular types of diets etc? if so were you successful? If you were successful how did you do it? I'm tired of the SLOW PACE. :thumbup:

Interval training.

Its horrid. You'll feel like your literally sweating blood. You'll want to puke. But it WORKS.

Basically, take your regular cardio, and inject intervals of 150% effort (you know, heart about to explode through your chest stuff) - over time increase the length of them, you may only be able to do 30 seconds at first, then recover a few minutes, then another 30 seconds. Your current fitness level doesnt matter, as long as its 150% for YOU effort.

A 40 minute session built around intervals 3 times a week and 3 hour long sessions of steady state cardio (I like running myself) works for me. It works with walking, cycling, running, the elliptical, swimming.

The only thing that gets thin on diet pills is your wallet. They increase your blood pressure (and if you are overweight you may already have elevated blood pressure), Water pills likely will only result in TEMPORARY WATER WEIGHT LOSS AND dehydrate you. "Crash" diets usually completely eliminate one food group or another and that starts messing with your overall nutrition. These are old habits from when you were pre-band. None of them are healthy for you.

Has anybody tried ways to speed up their weight loss such as diet pills, Water pills, particular types of diets etc? if so were you successful? If you were successful how did you do it? I'm tired of the SLOW PACE. :)

I am new to all of this, but my personal mantra is Slow and Steady wins the race. Remember the Tortise and the Hare. I was banded so I could lose weight in a healthy manner. I know this is going to be a long process, but I got stick wth it and stay the course. It's HELL now, but a year from now you are going to have Rocking Body! Hang in there you can do it! :thumbup:

Has anybody tried ways to speed up their weight loss such as diet pills, Water pills, particular types of diets etc? if so were you successful? If you were successful how did you do it? I'm tired of the SLOW PACE. :mad2:

Diet pills are never effective and you'll find that you'll just regain it anyway. Water pills... as soon as you drink a glass of water it's right back. It's fat that needs to be burned.

It all comes down to the same thing, calories in/calories out. Cut out ALL white carbs (not all carbs, all WHITE carbs) and exercise. That's how it works.

Listen to Jachut. She's a lean, mean, fat-burning machine!:mad2:

Diet pills won't do anything but mess up your metabolism. Let the Band do it's job. Slow and easy.

I understand the frustration of waiting, but it probably took you many years to become overweight. It's gonna take some time to take it off SAFELY.

Exercise. Seriously. Keep one important thing in mind: It's NOT about getting thin....it's about getting HEALTHY....and a by-product of being TRULY HEALTHY is being at your CORRECT weight.

So concentrate on getting healthy....excercise....your body NEEDS that to be healthy.

HH

"the journey is the reward"

food journal every bite that goes in your mouth. It's a pain, but it's hard facts you have to look at and then you know whats holding you back. Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

It's free and simple to use and it's been my biggest key to

success.

:crying:

Interval training.

Its horrid. You'll feel like your literally sweating blood. You'll want to puke. But it WORKS.

Basically, take your regular cardio, and inject intervals of 150% effort (you know, heart about to explode through your chest stuff) - over time increase the length of them, you may only be able to do 30 seconds at first, then recover a few minutes, then another 30 seconds. Your current fitness level doesnt matter, as long as its 150% for YOU effort.

A 40 minute session built around intervals 3 times a week and 3 hour long sessions of steady state cardio (I like running myself) works for me. It works with walking, cycling, running, the elliptical, swimming.

I've seen many of your posts and am always in awe. Have you always been this driven about exercise, or only since having the band? How did you get so motivated? :)

I agree with Melody, you should try a food journal. I just started one on www.sparkpeople.com and find it very helpful. The reason I started this was because I went for a fill on 4/14 and still don't feel restriction and can still eat a good amount of food, but I noticed last week when I got on the scale I only lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks and I've been so used to losing an average of 2 lbs a week I became frustrated, I felt as though I am always hungry and the scale isn't moving. So I registerd on sparkpeople and once you enter all of your information about the weight you are at, your goal and your exercice program it will tell you how many calories you need to consume. The range it gave me was between 1440 and 1800 a day, and I've been eating between 1000 and 1200 a day. So I decided for a week that I would eat the extra calories on the days that I go to the gym which is usually 4 to 5 times a week and when I got on the scale this morning I was down 3 lbs. I will try this out for the next few weeks and see how it goes. My next fill isn't until 6/8 so when I see my doctor I'll mention it to her and see if she agrees with me.