Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor Recommeded Against Lap Band

I'm not banded yet, but I have talked to my surgeon extensively about the different surgeries he performs. Without giving his name, because there has been some problems on here for people advertising their surgeon, I will tell you he is one of the top doctors in the state of Texas. This is not just my opinion, it's the opinion of my PCP, who lives 300 miles away from him, he has been voted 1 of the top doctors in the state by other doctors, etc. With all of that said, I will tell you that my surgeon highly recommends the Lap-Band, and actually told me that's the surgery he would have if he was having WLS. He has performed a tremendous number of Lap-Bands, so he has his own experience with them when he makes that recommendation. He also does the RNY and has done tons of those as well.

However, I agree with everyone else who has stated that it's YOUR decision in the end. If you really want the band and the surgeon doesn't like them, then I would suggest you go to more seminars and do a lot of research on the different surgeons in your area, and the different procedures available to you. I would also suggest you attend some support group meetings and find out why other people chose the procedure they ended up with.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. All of us are here to support you no matter what procedure you choose.

Joan

I am 100% in agreement with what WasABubbleButt has said on this subject. But of course, I have a few thoughts of my own. J

Let me be very clear about my experience with the Lap band….it was NOT good, and it almost cost me my life on several occasions. The port became infected, and it actually POPPED out of my stomach at one point. Surgeries were required to treat that, I walked around with a gaping, runny, oozing hole in my stomach for a year that would NOT heal, the tubes that were detached from the port eventually burrowed their way deep INSIDE of my colon, requiring more surgery……it’s a long story, and I’m not going to go into it all here, but it was very, very ugly, expensive, and it cost me my health and several years of my life. And, I didn’t lose any weight as a result of having the Lap Band.

Ultimately, I ended up having a Gastric Bypass, which was performed at the time the Lap Band and its various pieces were extracted from me. Coincidentally, that occurred one year ago yesterday.

I am not opposed to the Lap Band, in spite of my awful experience with it. I had an idiot for a surgeon, who did NOT step up and do the right thing when the problems surfaced. The Lap Band has helped a WHOLE lot of people, and THAT cannot be argued with. BUT….it has hurt people, too, and it’s even killed a few. So, when making this decision you really, really have to know exactly what you are getting into.

The problem is, you DON’T know exactly what you are getting into because EVERYONE’S experience is different. And this is true with MOST of the WLS’s available.

For MOST people, the Lap Band experience goes pretty well. Most people lose a fair amount of weight, but not as much as they like. There are some people for whom the experience is a breeze; ….they have the surgery, and simply go on about their lives, lose as much as they want (or more), and go about preaching the “Lap Band Gospel” to the rest of the world. And that’s fine, I couldn’t be happier for those people for whom the system worked perfectly. You will find those people to be the more outspoken proponents of the Band on this board, and many of them take great offense to the suggestion that there might be something wrong with the Lap Band, just because THEIR surgery went fine.

There are many reasons why some Doctors tend to “push” the RNY over the Lap Band. First, they DO make more money doing the RNY. It’s more complex, so they charge more. Also, many of them have been doing the RNY much, much longer so they are more comfortable with it. Keep in mind, the Lap Band has only been approved here in the US for about the last 8 years. RNY goes back a lot further, so there are a lot more Doctors that are well experienced in that procedure.

The surgeon that removed my Lap Band is the CHIEF of Bariatric Surgery for a MAJOR HMO. I had been referred to him because he was well known as a surgeon that dealt specifically with problems in Lap band Surgeries. I had heard of him before, and I was surprised when I joined that HMO to discover that he was part of it. Again, this is a Doctor who SPECIALIZES in Lap-Bands gone-wrong. He told me that, in his opinion, the lap-band would be removed from the market in a few years because of increasing incidence of complications and adverse effects. He reiterated that opinion in subsequent conversations. He also said it’s kind of the WLS industry’s “dirty little secret”….what the REAL stats are as far as failures and the level and severity of complications. He told me that he attends Bariatric Surgery Conferences and Seminars frequently, and all of the presenters get up and talk about their successes. But, in more private meetings and over dinner and in more informal settings, they talk about the increasing failures and the problems associated with the Lap Band.

Do I think it will be removed from the market? Probably not, because in spite of the problems that many people have, it has saved many lives, and improved the quality of many others. I do, however, think that some SURGEONS should be removed from the market. J. Also, the Lap Band (and other Weight Loss Surgeries) have become a HUGE business. It’s an INDUSTRY now, putting hundreds of millions of dollars into the pockets of members of the AMA, which is an enormously powerful lobby. No, there’s just too much money involved for it to go away. And, there has been so much benefit to many people.

As far as the choice between the various surgeries, well, as others here have said, it’s what YOU feel comfortable with. There are plusses and minuses with ALL of them. As far as the statistics for complications, mortality, etc, I don’t believe all of them, for the simple reason that most of the statistics are collected, compiled, and interpreted by the WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY INDUSTRY. And make no mistake, it’s an INDUSTRY. And you can be certain that they will only release information that is in their own best interests.

The other part of the Lap Band Stats issue is that it is still a relatively new procedure. We don’t HAVE decades of detailed statistics on risk/complications. It was only approved here in the US in 2001. And PLEASE, don’t start telling me how it was used for many years in Europe and Australia, and we have those stats. Those stats are pretty insignificant, because there were so FEW of them. The Lap Band has only become really, really popular in the last few years, so I think we have a long time before we will have any really meaningful long-term statistics.

As far as the Sleeve, I think that it’s in the same category as the Lap band as far as statistics, BUT, the initial outlook for the Sleeve is very, very good. People who have it seem to love it. It’s possible that at some point it will become the Standard.

As far as the Gastric Bypass, I can speak to that with a little more authority, because I have had one. And, thus far (one year) it has been deemed a success, for the most part. It has NOT been easy, not by any stretch of the imagination. I had a HORRIBLE recovery, but that was because of complications of the Lap band, the removal of it, the removal of the tube that was buried inside my colon, etc. The first several months after the surgery was one of the hardest periods of my life. I suffered from some severe depression, and my energy did not begin to return for about 3 months. I did not consider myself fully recovered until late November of last year. And, I had some complications. I had a stricture (not yet resolved) and I have an ulcer (still not resolved).

The positive side is that, at this moment, I am sitting here at a PERFECT weight for my height/build. I can wear a nice size 33 or 34 pants, 16 shirt (maybe 15-1/2), and people tell me I haven’t looked this good in 20 years.

But, it’s not really all about how I look, or what clothes I can wear. It’s about how I FEEL. And much of the time I feel very, very good. Because of the ulcer and the stricture, there are times that I feel very, very bad. I am confident that those 2 complications will be resolved, and that I will feel good most of the time.

So….back to the original point of this thread. First, I think that if the OP chooses to have the Lap Band, it should NOT be performed by the Doctor you are presently seeing. The Doctor needs to believe in it 100%.

Second, you need to Choose the procedure FIRST, and then choose the Surgeon that is going to do it. Don’t let THEM sell you on what THEY want to do.

Third, CHOOSE YOUR SURGEON CAREFULLY. I had an idiot install my Lap Band. I would have better off paying my gardener to put it in. Make sure that your surgeon is an EXPERT in the procedure that he/she performs. At a MINIMUM they must have performed at least 500 of the procedures. Don’t let them get their training on YOU.

Finally, you really, really, REALLY need to do some soul-searching and MAKE SURE that this is something that you REALLY need to do. Have you HONESTLY exhausted all conventional weight control methods? Have you really included exercise in the appropriate amount? Are you REALLY eating as intelligently as you can? Tens of thousands of people all over the country are able to lose weight and actually keep it off, every year. For the rest of us, there is WLS. But if you CAN avoid it, you should.

Because….REGARDLESS of which method you choose, it is still SURGERY. They cut you open. And that is NEVER a good thing, and if you can, you should avoid it.

I do wish you best in your process. It’s a tough decision to know what to do, and you will certainly get a lot of different opinions, based upon the different experiences people here have had. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We’re here to help.

HH

“The Journey is the Reward”

Edited by Headhunter

I am not banded yet and have found reading this thread very interesting.

I agree that choosing a surgeon carefully is very very important. I believe that my surgeon has excellent experience and credentials. A few people have commented that he maybe lacks a bit of bedside manner but that is often the case with top surgeons. So far I have found him to be nothing but pleasant but if I had a choice between expertise or bedside manner I know which I would opt for.

Yes there are problems with everykind of surgery.My father had a hip replacement and nearly died from that and that is a fairly standard, long practiced, well accepted surgery.

Personally to me one of the advantages is the adjustability and the reversibility of the lapband. I also like the fact that it does have a long track record. If I were to opt for the sleeve then I would wait a few more years until they have more data.

There are always different opinions on the best way to treat something.

e.g with a malignant breast lump some surgeons will decide the lumpectomy is fine whilst others will prefer the radical mastectomy.

I also do not have a problem with having a "foreign body". There are lots of different ones that are in common medical use. Sometimes they give problems sometimes they don't. It all depends on the individual and the surgeon.

Just a few:- breast implants, shunts, artificial heart valves, hip replacements, metal for holding bones together etc etc.

Even something as common and everday as the IUD can cause problems. I have a friend who's IUD ended up embedded in the bowel!

I feel sorry for those that have had a bad experience with the lapband and am glad that at this point the sleeve is working for them. However the reverse could have happened and I still don't think that there is sufficient info on the sleeve to make that a first choice.When looking for a surgeon don't look for one that does surgery including lapbands . Look for a surgeon that performs weight loss surgeries and is an expert in the field. One that can give a balanced view of all the available options is the best way to go.

You know, if I thought the reason I was fat was because of my stomach, I'd be more likely to agree to having it chopped up and removed, or worse, left in there, sewn shut, still producing acid etc. If I thought it was in my small intestine I'd be more likely to agree to having my innards rerouted.

However, while I know that altering these organs produces weight loss, they are NOT why I'm fat. How vile would I feel if I had my stomach removed and then they had a breakthrough? When I was a kid I needed training wheels before I learned to ride my bike but once I learned it, off they went. I guess I want something removable/reversible (and the band is more reversible than any other WLS out there) so IF science hits on the answer (and they are looking, boy are they looking) then I can have the band removed. Kind of like Jachut said on a post (don't remember which) if it doesn't last forever, when the time comes that I need a new one, who knows what options they'll have?

We all must make the choices for ourselves. For or against surgery and if surgery, what type. If my surgeon had not wanted to "band" me I would have found another surgeon. We change doctors all the time. Just because a doctor says something doesn't make it true,. Research and soul searching is needed for any medical intervention, especially one as drastic (and potentially life changing) as this.

So good for us all for fighting the weight monster, and good for us all trying to find the best weapon FOR US.

We are not one size fits all; we are not one surgery (or one intervention) fits all. I love my band and do not regret it but I am truly glad there are options for those who've been unhappy with it, or feel the need for a different interventionl

I am 100% in agreement with what WasABubbleButt has said on this subject. But of course, I have a few thoughts of my own. J

Third, CHOOSE YOUR SURGEON CAREFULLY. I had an idiot install my Lap Band. I would have better off paying my gardener to put it in. Make sure that your surgeon is an EXPERT in the procedure that he/she performs. At a MINIMUM they must have performed at least 500 of the procedures. Don’t let them get their training on YOU.

Headhunter, you had an Idiot for a surgeon?

I am sorry you went through that. I really am.

My surgeon is not an idiot and I am perfectly happy with my band.

Did you have your surgery here in the states?

Edited by maryrose

Headhunter, you had an Idiot for a surgeon?

I am sorry you went through that. I really am.

My surgeon is not an idiot and I am perfectly happy with my band.

Many are happy with their band. The problem is with those who have problems. The first reaction of others is... what did you do wrong?

Sometimes people do everything just right and the band doesn't work. I was one of them. I did EVERYTHING by the book, I was the star band patient and the band almost killed me.

You know, WLS is like a computer. What is in today is out tomorrow. Yesterday bands and bypass were the "in" thing. Today it is sleeves and DS. 20% of bypass fails, 25% of bands fail. We do what we have to in order to lose weight.

My frustration is not with band surgeons, my frustration is with band mills, band factories. Those that ONLY do bands. They do not offer patients ALL their options. People need to know all their options before they can make a reasonable choice. If a doc only does bands/bypass they do not tell of other options such as sleeves and DS. Doctors are in business to make money like the rest of us. If they do not DO sleeves and DS they aren't going to push those procedures. It would be like a honda dealer pushing a toyota. They just won't.

People need to know ALL their options and the TRUTH of each option. Not just what that particular surgeon offers.

My surgeon does all the procedures but didn't suggest any of them for me , probably due to a low BMI. He did say that another option for me would be gastric ballooning but as it only stays in for approx 6 months we both agreed it would not be a good idea as i would probably just regain everything i had lost as I have done with all my previous diets.

I have to agree with WAsaBB here.....

I would be very skeptical of the "band centers" I'm not saying that you are not going to get quality care, but they do have a particular product to sell and that's what they are doing.

I consulted with two different surgeons, both performed Bariatric Surgery not just Lap-Band....I think many people look at a surgeon as "above reproach" and there are many who seem to have a "god complex" with the whole "how dare you question me" attitude. Those are the ones I would be very leary of.

Bottom line here....you are putting your LIFE in someone elses hands, you need to have complete faith that they have YOUR best interest at heart.

Big momma, so true!

When I first read about the band years ago I actually thought the port was "outside" the body like a catheter. Even then, I would have probably gone with it!

I can see how we could be lured in by these centers because I was desperate to lose the weight.

Bottom line, do your homework and do what is right for you.

One of my best friends came to the first information meeting with me, she stood up and asked "you mean I can't have my white russions on the weekends". I knew right then & there she would not be a good candidate for the band as she also smokes, so I stopped pushing her to do it with me. Had she gone ahead with the band, I don't know if she would have done very well. Hopefully, they would not have banded her even if she wanted it.

I know others smoke/drink, but that is looking for problems in my opionion. So, she was out and I was in. She backed out, but I went ahead with it.

Edited by maryrose

I have to agree with WAsaBB here.....

I would be very skeptical of the "band centers" I'm not saying that you are not going to get quality care, but they do have a particular product to sell and that's what they are doing.

I consulted with two different surgeons, both performed Bariatric Surgery not just Lap-Band....I think many people look at a surgeon as "above reproach" and there are many who seem to have a "god complex" with the whole "how dare you question me" attitude. Those are the ones I would be very leary of.

Bottom line here....you are putting your LIFE in someone elses hands, you need to have complete faith that they have YOUR best interest at heart.

I know a guy in the US that advertises DS but truth is, he doesn't even DO DS. He does ERNY. So failed bypass patients go to him thinking they can revise to DS and instead they come out believing ERNY is superior and it isn't. If a bypass patient loses 200# on bypass and then it fails and they regain the 200#, ERNY will give them about a 50# weight loss. They will still be 150# overweight. DS would give them about a 180# weight loss. Yet this doctor doesn't do DS so he pushes ERNY and it's just not going to work.

That's why you always want to go to someone who does all the major procedures and you get a better idea and a more balanced view of all the surgeries.

There is a doctor in MX that only does banding. He refers to sleeves as stomach mutilation. It's not stomach mutilation but it sure sounds bad when a "doctor" doesn't like a given procedure and calls it a name that is deadly sounding. Truth is, he doesn't do sleeves so he pushes everyone into banding.

Doctors are in business to make money, no way around it. They are not in business to send you to a doctor that does the procedure you want, they are in business to take YOUR money for the procedures THEY do.

No single WLS is right for the entire population, it just isn't. I don't like band mills, bypass mills, sleeve mills... if someone only does one procedure type I'd find another doctor.

Besides, banding is the easiest procedure to do, it's simple. If a doctor can only do the simple procedures that might be a red flag as well.

This was a very interesting thread to read.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose, so I had all options available to me.

I chose the lap band because it was less invasive. Could there be future complications? Sure.

Would I select the bypass or sleeve as a revision in the future? No.

Personally, it just scares me. I don't want them cutting off my stomache.

If something ever happens to my band - I will have it removed - but that is it. I just hope I can maintain the weight loss.

Best wishes for all - regardless of what type of wls they had.

sandiegophotog...Thanks for your open honesty. Being 26 days out I can honestly say you have inspired me to believe I didnt make a mistake. That this too shall pass. That I will one day see that this is the best decision I could have made for success in my weight loss journey. Thank you!

I certainly would not consider letting that surgeon do my surgery either way. I'm somewhat insulted by her and her obvious attempt to intimidate our fellow poster.

Edited by dubbee

This is very interesting.I have a good friend who I went thru this whole process with.We did everything together and when we went to the surgeon's office(the same one) we each came out with 2 different recommendations! He recommended lapband for me & gastric RNY for her.She had surgery 2 weeks before me and has only lost maybe 15 more lbs than me.She cannot tolerate any sweets,she has trouble going to the bathroom regurlarly and she still can not eat very much.She has lost more weight but her skin is also sagging more.So I feel pretty good with my choice.Everyone has to do what is right for themself.It's a personal decision and they are both tools,it's all how you use it!!

sandiegophotog...Thanks for your open honesty. Being 26 days out I can honestly say you have inspired me to believe I didnt make a mistake. That this too shall pass. That I will one day see that this is the best decision I could have made for success in my weight loss journey. Thank you!

I certainly would not consider letting that surgeon do my surgery either way. I'm somewhat insulted by her and her obvious attempt to intimidate our fellow poster.

I'm not sure that I would characterize this Surgeon's actions as "intimidation". The surgeon may have had a reason for recommending that THIS particular patient choose the Bypass....we really don't know. And, the Surgeon may have simply been very aware of many of the band failures and other problems, and thought it best that the Patient choose the Bypass. Either way, it doesn't sound like intimidation would describe the conversation.

I do agree, however, that the OP should NOT have this surgeon perform the operation if she chooses the Lap Band. My methodology (now) would be to do comprehnesive research, Choose the PROCEDURE first, and then choose the BEST SURGEON that does that particular procedure. Like WasABubbleButt, I abhor the "Weight Loss Surgery Mills", but I have no problem with a surgeon that has decided that they prefer one particular method and he/she has decided to specialize in THAT method.

But, I think that the patient has to go into the selection process with an open mind, choose the RIGHT procedure for them, and then choose the surgeon that is the best at performing THAT operation.

I'm not sure that I would characterize this Surgeon's actions as "intimidation". The surgeon may have had a reason for recommending that THIS particular patient choose the Bypass....we really don't know. And, the Surgeon may have simply been very aware of many of the band failures and other problems, and thought it best that the Patient choose the Bypass. Either way, it doesn't sound like intimidation would describe the conversation.

Agreed.

I do agree, however, that the OP should NOT have this surgeon perform the operation if she chooses the Lap Band. My methodology (now) would be to do comprehnesive research, Choose the PROCEDURE first, and then choose the BEST SURGEON that does that particular procedure. Like WasABubbleButt, I abhor the "Weight Loss Surgery Mills", but I have no problem with a surgeon that has decided that they prefer one particular method and he/she has decided to specialize in THAT method.

But, I think that the patient has to go into the selection process with an open mind, choose the RIGHT procedure for them, and then choose the surgeon that is the best at performing THAT operation.

Don't agree. We don't typically go to doctors so we can tell them specifically what we want to hear and if they don't tell us what we want to hear by gosh, we are going elsewhere! We go to doctors to ask for their advice and opinions and we make the decision from there.

If my doctor is seeing better results from a different procedure I darn sure what to know. I don't want her patting my head telling me what she thinks I want to hear.

I don't agree that bands or bypass are the way to go so I'm not suggesting bypass is a better option. It's a personal decision based on many factors. But isn't it better that the surgeon was honest? She gave her honest opinion. If she thinks another procedure is superior to banding, why not hear her out? Banding is the easiest procedure to do. If she has a good track record with a complicated surgery like bypass and she has a lot of experience with bands, what's wrong with the fact that her experience is that another surgery type is better? Would people prefer dishonesty?