Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going shopping later today for everything I will need for the liquid and mushie stage of post-op diet. My surgery is Wednesday 5/6!! I need ideas of what to get. Any and all ideas appreciated. Thanx!! ~Joanie

I would wait to shop for mushie's. By the time you're on them, you will feel good enough to go to the grocery store. As for liquids, I would buy:

Low sodium chicken and/or beef broth

Crystal Light

sugar free Jello

sugar free Popsicles (I ate these a lot and still do)

Skim or 1% milk (probably a full gallon)

Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (for your Protein shakes)

Every doctor is different. My doctor was all about Clear Liquids for 2 weeks, so I couldn't do Soups and such...

Good luck! This is a fun journey. Plus, you're being banded on my wedding anniversary. That means it'll be an extra great day for you! :-)

Thanx for the ideas...I only have to be on Clear Liquids the first day and then full liquids for 2 wks. Seems every Dr is different..that's so weird. I know I will feel better in 2wks but I still wanna pick up as much as I can now..at least things that are not parishable. I've thought of Beans and such that I can easily mush but I guess there's just not much to choose from in the early days...lol BTW Happy Anniversary! The day b4 5/5 is my B-day...I get to have a B-day Protein shake...YIPPEE!! lol

I'm in Aus where things seem to be a little different.

This is the list I have been given

500ml dairy or soy per day. e.g low fat milk, runny custard, plain or flavoured yogurts(no bits), drinking yogurt, soy drink, Breakfast Cereal drinks.

500ml fruit per day = home made or no added sugar juices.

500ml veg per day e.g home made or commercial Soups blended to a runny consistency

Avoid jelly, ice cream, cordial, energy drinks etc as they are high energy and have low nutritional value.

This seems quite different to the foods that you are looking at. Seems strange that there are such huge differences between continents. I think the aim here is to get people onto proper nutritous food as quickly as possible and to avoid the so called empty calories as they are part of what has contributed to the problem.

Good luck with your op. Mine is scheduled 2 June. I haven't started shopping yet. I figure I should be well enough to be out and about fairly quickly so will only get enough food in for the first couple of days. I have to start my preop diet in 2 weeks so have started shopping for that. I'm allowed to use a Meal Replacement program 3 times per day and have 2 serves of veg.Not looking forward to that part of the process.

For your protien drinks you should try this...

vanilla Protein powder w/ 8oz skim milk, 1 tsp Peanut Butter, 1/2 tsp sugar free choc Syrup. Blend in blender. OMG, taste like Reeses Peanut Butter cups. You have to try it.

Or

Vanilla Protein Powder w/ 8 oz skim milk, 1 tbsp of sf cheesecake pudding mix, 3 frozen strawberries (I keep bags of frozen fruit in hand). Blend in blender. Great also, tastes like strawberry cheesecake.

I have tried the Walmart brand (Body Fortress?), GNC, & EAS brands of Protein Powder. I have to say i like the EAS brand the best mixes well, no grit.

Also i always get vanilla b/c you can add anything to it to get a variety.

Hi Joannie,

I am being banded on Tuesday, so I'm in the same boat as you. I did all my shopping yesterday. For the first 7-10 days after surgery, I am on clear liquids plus Protein supplements 4x a day. This is what I have on hand:

low-sodium broth

sugar free jello's (I'm going to make a cake pan of them so I can have a square anytime)

LOTS of Crystal Lite

Sugar Free popsicles

Apple juice w/no added sugar

Skim Milk

I struggled with what kind of Protein supplement to buy, but finally ended up buying 2 kinds at GNC. I got their GNC Pro Performance in the 1# bags. There are a variety of flavors, and I got Cookies & Cream and chocolate Caramel. If you don't like something, you can bring it back for a full refund, so I figure I have nothing to lose by trying it. I haven't actually made a Protein shake yet, but I did open the bags and tasted the powder and it wasn't bad. I'm going to have one tomorrow morning for Breakfast.< /span>

Good Luck with your surgery, and Happy Birthday!

I'm going shopping later today for everything I will need for the liquid and mushie stage of post-op diet. My surgery is Wednesday 5/6!! I need ideas of what to get. Any and all ideas appreciated. Thanx!! ~Joanie

Thanx for responding! I don't know why I didn't think of yogurt...must be the lack of carbs of late..lol I dreaded the pre-op diet also..however I was allowed a small piece of grilled chicken/fish (the size of a deck of cards) and a green veggie. This was the only thing that made it tolerable. From what I've read if you restrict the carbs you will get the liver shinkage the Drs want. If you absolutely must cheat...and there's no stopping you...make it a Protein cheat..lol (disclaimer: Of course NO cheating is ideal...but we are only human) Best of luck to you!

Sherri,

Congrats! I am also being band on 5/5/09. I am so nervous. Let me know how you surgery turns out!

Hello wannabe, How exciting to find someone having surgery at the same time. I have all the things you have on hand. I made my own broth and froze it in little containers. I think I have every flavor of CL they make..lol I've heard the Pro Performance Proteins are good. I bought EAS choc and vanilla and doctor them up. They are good and inexpensive. Good luck to you also on Tuesday Let's compare notes afterward. :unsure:

Raelita, I will and good luck to you on Tuesday..I'm nervous too but more excited right now...talk to me on Wednesday morning and I may say something different..lol

DaChanginQueen,

Congrats on your 5-06 band date! My doctor told me I will be on clear liquids the first 24 hours only. After that I will be on full liquids. I can have juice Plus shakes, sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast, Boost High Protein, Ensure High Protein, whey or Soy Protein, Glucerna or Choice DM, or Isopure 60 cc every hour. Along with Water, Crystal Light, Unsweetened decaffeinated tea, Fruit20, and/or Propel Fitness Water. I was also told absolutely NO Carbonated drinks, caffeinated drinks, gum, or straws. If it is not on the list I can't have it. I have to find out about the Vitamins, because he did say I would need some gummies. But I was in Walmart yesterday picking up things I would need and I came across a One A Day Women Mix In. I compared it to the One A Day Vitamin bottle and they were the same, so I am going to ask if I could try that in lieu of the Gummies.

There are alot of bariatric Vitamins online...I called and requested samples of several of them. I liked Bariatric Fusion www.bariatricfusion.com and Bariatric Advantage vita-band www.bariatricadvantage.com and there are lots of others. Those are the ones I liked the best. Just google bariatric vitamins and call some of the companys or email them and they will send you samples. I think anything chewable or mixable would be just fine.