Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to convert from band to ?????

I had a lapband 10/04 weighing in at 320 pre op. On 6/05, I had my first slip as well as had developed a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux. The hernia was repaired and the lap band revised. The acid relux has increased to the point I can't stand it! After more teesting it was determined that I had yet another slip and needed to convert or ditch the band. I am now at 232 and lost all my weight within the first 6 months of my initial surgury. I have experienced no food tolerance issues, nor a feeling of being restricted despite 4 cc in the band. I realize I let this go too long but travel for a living and just dealt with it until I aspirated acid into my lungs...OUCH!! Trip to the doctors told me to get this fixed so I took a few months off work and returned to MA to review my options with a gasto doc.

The first doc suggested a RNY as he does not do the VSG. (The nutritionist however feels that I am uncommitted and have failed the band.) A second opinion lead to my being told that my surgeon could convert to a VSG on a case by case basis with my insurance but felt I had failed the band twice and wasn't sure if I was committed to WLS. This Mexico for the procedure. I have been told by both docs above that one can not fly for 4-6 weeks after surgery due to risk of blood clots. Is this not the case? Where you uncomfotable during the flight?

How long was your recovery? (I was driving 3 days after lap band surgery and back to work 5 days later. No pain meds and only mild discomfort after 3 days.)

Should the surgen in MA not agree to perform the VSG, what is the time line with once contact is made with a Mexican Doc?

Has anyone had any luck with their insurance covering the surgery in Mexico? (Few VSG have been done in MA to date I would definately prefer a doc with more surgeries under their belt without incurring the out of pocket cost.)

What is the weight loss like for VSG versus RNY? (My mom had RNY and lost 88 lbs within 3 months.)

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

(The nutritionist however feels that I am uncommitted and have failed the band.)

Because she's an idiot.

A second opinion lead to my being told that my surgeon could convert to a VSG on a case by case basis with my insurance but felt I had failed the band twice and wasn't sure if I was committed to WLS.

Oh, and he's one, too. :thumbup:

Slips happen. Once you slip, you are prone to them. So I don't really agree with docs who respond to a slip by a surgery to reposition the band or replace it. It's just postponing the inevitable for most people and at the cost of a surgery. If you are going to have a surgery, anyway, I'd say just revise to something else that won't slip.

I have been told by both docs above that one can not fly for 4-6 weeks after surgery due to risk of blood clots.

People fly to other parts of the country or other countries for surgery all the time. It does increase the risk but there are extra measures they can take to combat that. My surgeon would put you on lovenox for a time after surgery if you were flying, for example.

How long was your recovery? (I was driving 3 days after lap band surgery and back to work 5 days later. No pain meds and only mild discomfort after 3 days.)

I think it's going to depend but in general it seems like the VSG take a few more days than a band. But I've seen banded people take longer than you to recover too. So it may not be a few days more than the last time but a few days more than average.

I was back to work at 1.5 weeks and wished I'd taken 2 but, from what I can tell, I had a slow recovery, mostly due to the hiatal hernia repair I had at the same time.

Has anyone had any luck with their insurance covering the surgery in Mexico? (Few VSG have been done in MA to date I would definately prefer a doc with more surgeries under their belt without incurring the out of pocket cost.)

It depends on the policy. But if they don't, there are US surgeons who do the sleeve and have been for a number of years. You have lots of choices, not just Mexico vs. Mass.

What is the weight loss like for VSG versus RNY? (My mom had RNY and lost 88 lbs within 3 months.)

My surgeon finds them comparable. We even lose weight just as fast even though there is no malabsorption. (I think it's because we can eat less and have no ghrelin.)

I had a lapband 10/04 weighing in at 320 pre op. On 6/05, I had my first slip as well as had developed a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux. The hernia was repaired and the lap band revised. The acid relux has increased to the point I can't stand it! After more teesting it was determined that I had yet another slip and needed to convert or ditch the band.

I highly advise getting rid of the band.

I am now at 232 and lost all my weight within the first 6 months of my initial surgury.

Congratulations! You're a success!

I have experienced no food tolerance issues, nor a feeling of being restricted despite 4 cc in the band.

I had the 10 cc band and never felt restriction. You're not alone.

I realize I let this go too long but travel for a living and just dealt with it until I aspirated acid into my lungs...OUCH!! Trip to the doctors told me to get this fixed so I took a few months off work and returned to MA to review my options with a gasto doc.

You DO have to get it fixed. You DON'T want esophageal cancer.

The first doc suggested a RNY as he does not do the VSG.

Any MD who does not give ALL options available and refer to other MDs if they can't do a procedure is not worth going to.

(The nutritionist however feels that I am uncommitted and have failed the band.)

I agree with Mac... a total ass!

A second opinion lead to my being told that my surgeon could convert to a VSG on a case by case basis with my insurance but felt I had failed the band twice and wasn't sure if I was committed to WLS.

Is he married to the nutritionist? A pair of asses!

This P@#$s me off. How did I fail the band when I have maintained a 90 lb weightloss with no fills or support for the last 2 1/2 plus years?! (Am I over reacting here?)

No, you're not over reacting. I lost 70 pounds and kept it off 3 years with no restriction and no help from the band. I was still obese but I was also successful.

I am leaning toward the VSG due to less invasive, no malobsorption, etc. But have a few questions...

Many have posted about flying to Mexico for the procedure. I have been told by both docs above that one can not fly for 4-6 weeks after surgery due to risk of blood clots. Is this not the case? Where you uncomfotable during the flight?

I had, and survived, pulmonary emboli (blood clots) to both lungs and only went off the coumadin (blood thinner) 2 weeks prior to the VSG revision. I flew from NY to SD (6 hours on the plane) going and coming back. I made sure I extended and flexed my feet and legs throughout the flight.

I was not uncomfortable going but I was a little uncomfortable on the return trip. However, that discomfort was gas pain from the surgery. I was given a 2 week supply of Nexium and several pain pills before I left the hospital so I took one on the plane, kept flexing my feet and legs and was fine.

I DID check my luggage on the RETURN flight. You're not supposed to life more than 15 pounds for 4-6 weeks post-op so it was necessary to check it. When I got off the plane on the return flight, I walked from one end of JFK airport to the extreme other end to get my baggage with no problem.

Remember that you're going into this surgery 100 pounds lighter than you did with band surgery. I went into mine 70 pounds lighter. I went back to work in 7 days and did two consecutive 13 hour night shifts. I drove to the grocery store 5 days post-op and took one pain pill the night I got home. After that, I was fine. Compared to the band surgery, this was much easier (in my opinion).

Should the surgen in MA not agree to perform the VSG, what is the time line with once contact is made with a Mexican Doc?

After contacting Dr. Aceves, the surgery was scheduled for 12 days later but could have been done 6 days earlier. I had work responsibilities that would not allow the earlier date.

Mac has a great U.S. surgeon. If you can get insurance to cover you and can go to CA, you'd only have air travel costs. Mexican MDs don't take insurance and my VSG revision was $12,500 (includes hotel the night before surgery, pre and post-op testing, surgery, hospital, and meds to take home).

Wasa has these stats. You lose the fastest with the RNY and the slowest with the band. At the 5 year point, RNY and VSG people show equal weight loss.

Get that band out of you ASAP. I suffered with the acid reflux and a poor quality of life for too long. The day after surgery the reflux was gone and I could sleep flat on my back in bed. I'm 4 weeks post-op and feel great.

Ohhh, so much to write!

I had a lapband 10/04 weighing in at 320 pre op. On 6/05, I had my first slip as well as had developed a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux. The hernia was repaired and the lap band revised.

When you have a slip and have it surgically revised you stand a 70% chance of another slip in the first five years.

The acid relux has increased to the point I can't stand it! After more teesting it was determined that I had yet another slip and needed to convert or ditch the band.

You can't live with reflux for long, it can cause Barretts Esophagus. The band does this often.

I am now at 232 and lost all my weight within the first 6 months of my initial surgury.

FANTASTIC!

I have experienced no food tolerance issues, nor a feeling of being restricted despite 4 cc in the band. I realize I let this go too long but travel for a living and just dealt with it until I aspirated acid into my lungs...OUCH!! Trip to the doctors told me to get this fixed so I took a few months off work and returned to MA to review my options with a gasto doc.

You really can't get a fill when you have severe reflux anyway regardless of restriction. If the band itself is causing your problems a fill is going to make it worse.

The first doc suggested a RNY as he does not do the VSG.

This makes me angry, if one procedure is what you want then you should have been referred to someone who does the procedure. It's like REALLY wanting a brand new car and coming home with a used moped.

Your nutritionist is a dolt. You lost well with a working band. If any of us could do this without a tool we would. If your tool isn't working you aren't going to lose as well as you would with something that works for you.

Bands are not effective for higher BMI folks, they just aren't. The more you have to lose the less likely you are to get to goal with a band. You might get there but it's unlikely that you'll stay there.

HIS surgery failed therefore YOU are not committed?

Look, only you know if you can do this with restriction alone. Nobody else can make that decision for you. I'm all for a dose of reality when it is needed but with your good weight loss when your band was working and the lack of weight loss now that you have reflux and issues that are clear in that you should NOT be getting a fill, how is this your fault? Maybe you aren't telling us the whole story, could be. But I doubt that, I think with the symptoms you are having it's pretty clear the band isn't for you.

This P@#$s me off. How did I fail the band when I have maintained a 90 lb weightloss with no fills or support for the last 2 1/2 plus years?! (Am I over reacting here?)

Nope. If you weren't angry I'd question if you really understand what's happening. ;o)

I am leaning toward the VSG due to less invasive, no malobsorption, etc. But have a few questions...

Many have posted about flying to Mexico for the procedure. I have been told by both docs above that one can not fly for 4-6 weeks after surgery due to risk of blood clots. Is this not the case? Where you uncomfotable during the flight?

Of course you can fly. You just need to take simple precautions. Get up and walk up and down the plane every hour or so. I drove 3 hours home after my surgery.

I was a revision too, band to sleeve. I was totally good at two weeks but I went to work right away when I came home.

You first need to make sure you want this surgeon doing your VSG. How many has he done? Does he do leak tests? Which ones? How many leaks has he had? Infections? How many nights in the hospital? Does your insurance cover sleeves? There is a great deal of information to know.

It's possible but unlikely.

RNY folks lose it faster but VSG folks lose very well, MUCH better than banded folks.

Wow,

I give this board two years, then it is going to "revise" to VerticalSleeveTalk.

Two years? I give it less than a month.

My 2 cents:

You need a new surgeon and a new nutritionist. I don't see where you "failed". You lost a TON of weight yet you failed?? B.S.

Ask that nutritionist how much you were supposed to lose exactly to be considered a non failure in her little book.

Two years? I give it less than a month.

Actually, I give it less than a week. ;o)))))

I just emailed Alex to ask if I can tell and he said yes.

The new sleeve forum will be:

GastricSleeveTalk.com

He's been working on this for a couple of months. He asked me a long time ago if I would moderate that board and a ..... (drum roll please).... a REVISION forum! He has other ideas in mind but I'm not sure what they are all about. I'm not sure if we belong more on the new sleeve forum or the new revision forum sooooooo, I guess we just add both to bookmarked sites! HA!

So this is all very cool... We get our own forum(s)!

I heart Alex!

Excellent! We need a place to call home. LOL.