Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some advice, please!

Here is a bit of history. I was banded on 3/27. I was on liquids for 3 weeks, started solids on 4/17. I was experiencing, what I thought was food getting stuck, until I realized I was getting this feeling after only having a slimfast shake in the AM. I finally figured out that it was acid reflux (flashback to when I was pregnant with my 4th dd). I am still able to eat solid food, just not the 4 oz. at a time. I usually end up eating about 2-3 oz. and then have Snacks (healthy ones) in the late morning and afternoon. I make sure I drink 64 oz. of Water each day. I have not vomited, PB'd or slimed or even been truly stuck. I had an appt. today for my first adjustment. After telling the PA about the acid reflux, she mentioned that it sometimes happens with a band slip. She said that the doctor that did my surgery tends to put in 1cc during the surgery and was taking it out. She actually took out 2.5cc. She thinks I may have had to much restriction from that and swelling.

I'm am kind of nervous that she even mentioned slippage. I've looked up the symptoms of slippage and the only one I seem to have is the acid reflux. What do you all think? Should I be concerned that my band has slipped already?

Also, I've only lost 20lbs. in the first month. Is that normal or am I already falling behind?

Thanks for reading!

KP

No, I don't think you need to worry. Truly slippage doesn't happen very often at all. With 2.5cc in your band following surgery, and you still healing, I vote with the nurse -- between 2.5cc AND still healing, you just had too much restriction. How are you feeling after the unfill? Let us know if the reflux disappears. That will be the answer to the question more than likely.

Thanks for the quick response :drool: I'm still having some reflux after eating my lunch, but not too bad. The PA did say it could take a couple of days for it to completely go away though. I guess I'll know if it doesn't go away that it could be something more serious.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better! This period of time after surgery can be very frustrating. Things feel different, you worry about every little thing, and you aren't losing much weight. I wish the surgeons and their staffs would emphasize more that the first few weeks after surgery you likely won't lose alot of weight. Your body is taking everything it can to heal itself and doesn't want to let go of much because it can't know for sure how much it will take to heal. But once you heal more you'll start losing and it will pick up to a steady pace as you get maybe 3 fills. Good luck!

you'll be fine.I didnt start losing until after my 4th fill so you are doing well.also dont worry about slippage,ive heard you really vomit heaps when that happens so unless you are which you said your arent,i wouldnt worry.xx

20 lbs in the first month is wonderful--you're ahead of the game, not behind! Keep us posted.

Thank you for the kind words :biggrin:

So far today no reflux! Such a good feeling. Now I just have to be patient and wait 3 weeks until I can get my 1st fill.

I seem to be doing good keeping my meals to 4oz. of less though. Realizing that I needed surgery to lose weight has really made me think before I eat. I finally started going back to the gym and using Wii fit at home so hopefully I will be able to kick start my weight loss again.

Thanks again.

20 lbs in the first month is wonderful--you're ahead of the game, not behind! Keep us posted.

Absolutely. I'm now in the 2-4 pounds a month stage, but it keeps coming off. It might pick up a bit now that warmer weather is here.

I don't believe you have anything to truely worry about! I had to have all the Fluid removed from my band in the first week because I wasn't able to tolerate...well....anything! I was very swollen according to them and it didn't help that my monthly friend was there to visit the day after surgery!They should be able to tell with your fills if the band has slipped anyways. I know everytime I go in I have to do a barium swallow and you can clearly see my band, pouch, and port everytime. GOOD LUCK!!:ohmy: