Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 30, Pre-Op struggle...

Hi,

I am getting banded on April 30 and am having a hard time with the pre-op diet. I can drink 2-3 Protein Shakes and have 2-3 meals with 4-6oz Protein, 1 cup fruit, and green veggies. I have seen pre-op diets that are much more restrictive, so I feel like a wimp for not being able to stick to it. I have been on it for 6 days and cheated 2x.

This has been an extremely stressful week for me, as a family member was in the hospital for major surgery. Our family has been together non stop since Monday, taking turns doing shifts at the hospital and now staying with her at night. Although they are very supportive of my decision to have this surgery, they are by no means going to stop eating badly in front of me (huge bags of cheetos, m&ms, cheescake- stuff I don't even usually crave but I am dying for because it is in my face!). Anyhoo, I thought if I posted on here I could get some extra support to stay on track. I am thinking about going to straight liquids for the next four days to make sure my liver has shrunk... Anyone else having a hard time?

Hey there,

I was in a similar position for my surgery on 23 April. My pre-op diet was officially supposed to start the day my partner was banded (9th April). The pre-op diet was crucial for me as it was known that I had a moderately enlarged fatty liver (through CAT scans and ultrasound). I was ok until my partner had trouble keeping anything down after surgery and there was lots of running around back and forth to doctors (though we avoided the hospital). The stress of the situation made it hard for me to stay on track and I did cheat on a couple of days. I made sure I stuck to the program for the last few days and, fortunately, everything went ok with my own surgery. When I asked the surgeon about my liver, he said it was lumpy but he always knew it would be. So, my advice is don't stress too much about it but try to stay on track especially the last week.

Good luck.

Hi,

I am getting banded on April 30 and am having a hard time with the pre-op diet. I can drink 2-3 Protein shakes and have 2-3 meals with 4-6oz Protein, 1 cup fruit, and green veggies. I have seen pre-op diets that are much more restrictive, so I feel like a wimp for not being able to stick to it. I have been on it for 6 days and cheated 2x.

This has been an extremely stressful week for me, as a family member was in the hospital for major surgery. Our family has been together non stop since Monday, taking turns doing shifts at the hospital and now staying with her at night. Although they are very supportive of my decision to have this surgery, they are by no means going to stop eating badly in front of me (huge bags of cheetos, m&ms, cheescake- stuff I don't even usually crave but I am dying for because it is in my face!). Anyhoo, I thought if I posted on here I could get some extra support to stay on track. I am thinking about going to straight liquids for the next four days to make sure my liver has shrunk... Anyone else having a hard time?

Hey 1980. Hang in there. The Pre-op is hard, no denying that. I know you are doing the best that you can, but try really hard not to cheat as it makes it harder to stick to it. After 5 days on the diet you go into Ketosis which suppresses appetite - and if you cheat you are back to day 1 again. In saying that, its hard work and most people cheat, so don't beat yourself up now! I would not personally recommend sticking to liquid only - as it will make it harder to stay on track - for me, I'd just stick to the diet as they prescribed it - to the letter. And KEEP POSTING!! We are your support group and are here to support you!! xxx

Hang in there. That post opp diet sucks! I got very grumpy and angry. You can do this though. What's a few more days of feeling deprived and some hunger compaired to a successful surgery and the happiness and health you are on your way to. I cheated a bit too, I think almost everyone does, but it's best to try your hardest. Can you imagine going in for surgery and waking up to find out they didn't do it because of your liver? That thought kept me pretty much in line.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am sorry you had such a stressful time during your pre-op as well, but I am so glad your surgery went well! I hope your partner is doing better with the band. It is so hard to take care of yourself when your loved ones are ill. I am doing better and am happy to report that I am 100% back on track.

Hey there,

I was in a similar position for my surgery on 23 April. My pre-op diet was officially supposed to start the day my partner was banded (9th April). The pre-op diet was crucial for me as it was known that I had a moderately enlarged fatty liver (through CAT scans and ultrasound). I was ok until my partner had trouble keeping anything down after surgery and there was lots of running around back and forth to doctors (though we avoided the hospital). The stress of the situation made it hard for me to stay on track and I did cheat on a couple of days. I made sure I stuck to the program for the last few days and, fortunately, everything went ok with my own surgery. When I asked the surgeon about my liver, he said it was lumpy but he always knew it would be. So, my advice is don't stress too much about it but try to stay on track especially the last week.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! After I read your post, I actually went out and go the Ketosis strips- and it looks like I am still in Ketosis- pheew, so my cheating hopefully was not bad enough to do any damage or perhaps space out enough to keep me in Ketosis (when I cheated I had eaten two bites of cheesecake, and on the day of my family member's surgery, i ate chocolate pudding=(. Now, I am back on track and feeling soo much better about myself. I believe I read you are in Band Hell- I hope that it is getting better for you and thanks again!

Hey 1980. Hang in there. The Pre-op is hard, no denying that. I know you are doing the best that you can, but try really hard not to cheat as it makes it harder to stick to it. After 5 days on the diet you go into Ketosis which suppresses appetite - and if you cheat you are back to day 1 again. In saying that, its hard work and most people cheat, so don't beat yourself up now! I would not personally recommend sticking to liquid only - as it will make it harder to stay on track - for me, I'd just stick to the diet as they prescribed it - to the letter. And KEEP POSTING!! We are your support group and are here to support you!! xxx

Thank you for the support, it's nice to know that I am not the only one who cheated a bit. I spent some time on the forum reading your posts back to me and about other people's sturggles and now feel back on track! You are right that it would absooooluteely suck to go through all of this and not be able to actually have surgery- so I am trying to focus on that fear when I get tempted=) Thank you again for your message!

Hang in there. That post opp diet sucks! I got very grumpy and angry. You can do this though. What's a few more days of feeling deprived and some hunger compaired to a successful surgery and the happiness and health you are on your way to. I cheated a bit too, I think almost everyone does, but it's best to try your hardest. Can you imagine going in for surgery and waking up to find out they didn't do it because of your liver? That thought kept me pretty much in line.

Well I'm late to responding. I cheated and survived surgery just fine. I'm not proud of that nor do I encourage it. But stuff happens and we have to move on. That pre-op diet is a killer, though you're lucky to have some extra options. My Doc was super strict.

I hope time flies quickly for you till Thursday! Wishing you the best of luck and easy recovery. Please come post if you need support, that's what we're all here for!

Hi,

I am getting banded on April 30 and am having a hard time with the pre-op diet. I can drink 2-3 Protein shakes and have 2-3 meals with 4-6oz Protein, 1 cup fruit, and green veggies. I have seen pre-op diets that are much more restrictive, so I feel like a wimp for not being able to stick to it. I have been on it for 6 days and cheated 2x.

Oh boy the Pre-op diet was hard for me. Even knowing all the head knowledge! I cheated a small cheat almost every darn day. I did make goal, loosing 5% of my total body weight. Which felt awesome!

This is by no means a license to cheat, but just know that by following the diet you are on, you are doing a great job! Your liver is no doubt shrinking and lightening as we speak. You are a sucess! Don't be to hard on yourself!

2 more days and you will be a Bandster! Woo hoo!

Hang in there!

Thank you myturn2bhappy and AngieB2009 for your support! I had my pre-op appt yesterday and my doctor told me that I should be fine for surgery. I totally confessed that I had cheated 2x, but he said that was ok. He even told me I could have a meal today with carbs and it shouldn't hurt my liver. Luckily, since I lost 6lbs on the pre-op diet he was not worried. I am crossing my fingers that all goes well tomorrow!

Hope all went well today!! Let us know!!

Thank you Chifani for the well wishes. I am officially a BANDSTER! Apparently, the first thing I said out of surgery when they woke me was "I am going to be skinny again=)."

Unforuntately, I am very sensitive to anthesia and am having a very hard time with the naseau and gas. Everytime I tried to burp, I start gagging as if I am going to vomit. I am also running a low fever and my face is swollen. I paged the doctor, but the patient educator called me back. She had no real answers for my complaints, besides saying I could be allergic to the Loratab. I explained that was not possible as I have taken it before. She said for me to call back if I was still having issues. I find it annoying that after paying 15,000.00 I can't even speak to my doctor or a nurse. Sigh sigh hopefully these issues will abate sooon, so I can be more excited about the band. I love reading everyone's post and how much they have lost, it is very inspirational. Thanks for all the support!