Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Diet Cheat

Well I was supposed to do pre op for 3-5 days before Monday surgury. I decided to start sooner so made it Tues - Friday night when I caved and ordered may all time favorite "large greek salad" and 1/2 Peanut Butter sandwich with a diet pepsi. I have Saturday, Sunday and some of Monday to get back so you think I've caused any issues? I can't wait to get this done - I was doing so well this week and bored at home watching tv so did my normal Friday night thing. I did however not order the garlic bread with cheese and bacon I usually do to go with it. I think I should be fine but sure felt guilty. Should have had the broth but considered it my last dinner :lol:)

I had a two-week liquid diet before surgery and then only Clear Liquids for 3 days before. I cheated a few times during the liquid phase and once early in the clear liquids. I was freaked out so I talked to my bariatric coordinator and she said not to worry, she wouldn't encourage doing anymore, but as long as I did clear liquids for 24 hours before the surgery and used milk of magnesia to clean me out beforehand I would be fine. That being said, the pre-op diet is there as much to start getting you in the right mind frame for after banding as much as it is to help you lose weight and shrink your liver. I'd try to stick to it until your surgery, because there are some tough times after as your baby stomach gets used to new foods. Hope that helps!

I had a two-week liquid diet before surgery and then only clear liquids for 3 days before. I cheated a few times during the liquid phase and once early in the clear liquids. I was freaked out so I talked to my bariatric coordinator and she said not to worry, she wouldn't encourage doing anymore, but as long as I did clear liquids for 24 hours before the surgery and used milk of magnesia to clean me out beforehand I would be fine. That being said, the pre-op diet is there as much to start getting you in the right mind frame for after banding as much as it is to help you lose weight and shrink your liver. I'd try to stick to it until your surgery, because there are some tough times after as your baby stomach gets used to new foods. Hope that helps!

Do you have a band or sleeve? Either way, why did you have to take MOM? They weren't working on intestines, what was the reason they gave you?

I'd be a bit concerned that you cheated on a pre-op diet that was only required 3-5 days pre-op. That's a very short period of time and I wonder if you'll be able to adhere to the post-op diet or give into cheating.

The pre-op diet serves to limit carbs for the purpose of shrinking your liver. This makes doing the surgical procedure easier for the surgeon and the recovery easier for you. If you're going to have the sleeve, the post-op diet MUST be adhered to or you risk causing a leak to the suture line. This can be a serious complication.

Depending on your current weight and fat distribution, you might want to contact the coordinator and let her know what you ate. You should also discuss any concerns you might have about sticking to a pre-op diet.

I'd be a bit concerned that you cheated on a pre-op diet that was only required 3-5 days pre-op. That's a very short period of time and I wonder if you'll be able to adhere to the post-op diet or give into cheating.

The pre-op diet serves to limit carbs for the purpose of shrinking your liver. This makes doing the surgical procedure easier for the surgeon and the recovery easier for you. If you're going to have the sleeve, the post-op diet MUST be adhered to or you risk causing a leak to the suture line. This can be a serious complication.

Depending on your current weight and fat distribution, you might want to contact the coordinator and let her know what you ate. You should also discuss any concerns you might have about sticking to a pre-op diet.

Wow if you read correctly I actually started sooner than I was supposed (Tuesday instead of Friday) and ate a salad and 1/2 PBS to cheat - my pre op actually didn't have to start until today really so I was doing more than necessary. You sure have an inflated ego in suggesting that I can't follow my pre or post op. Now I am remembering why I wasn't posting for awhile - It slipped my mind. You have far more than advice to offer here like your incinuations of how I may be - Since I am perfectly on track after 4 days of early pre op dieting and still have the three I need I guess I do great! Thanks for the encouragement.

Wow if you read correctly I actually started sooner than I was supposed (Tuesday instead of Friday) and ate a salad and 1/2 PBS to cheat - my pre op actually didn't have to start until today really so I was doing more than necessary. You sure have an inflated ego in suggesting that I can't follow my pre or post op. Now I am remembering why I wasn't posting for awhile - It slipped my mind. You have far more than advice to offer here like your incinuations of how I may be - Since I am perfectly on track after 4 days of early pre op dieting and still have the three I need I guess I do great! Thanks for the encouragement.

I believe Elisabeth was responding to YOUR question:

Well I was supposed to do pre op for 3-5 days before Monday surgury. I decided to start sooner so made it Tues - Friday night when I caved and ordered may all time favorite "large greek salad" and 1/2 Peanut Butter sandwich with a diet pepsi. I have Saturday, Sunday and some of Monday to get back so you think I've caused any issues? I can't wait to get this done - I was doing so well this week and bored at home watching tv so did my normal Friday night thing. I did however not order the garlic bread with cheese and bacon I usually do to go with it. I think I should be fine but sure felt guilty. Should have had the broth but considered it my last dinner :smile2:)

She was answering your question. If you didn't want opinions I'm not sure why you asked.

A great many folks cannot stick to the pre op diet. People cheat all the time. With a band if you cheat on the post op diet you risk your band. If you cheat on the post op diet with a sleeve you risk your life. So it was a valid point that she brought up in case you are one of the folks that just can't hack the diet.

For those who can't stick to the pre op diet it is a concern for the post op diet. It can potentially be a very serious issue.

So I'm not sure why you felt the need to slam dunk her for answering your question but it seems to me you are the one that is being insulting here, nobody else.

I believe Elisabeth was responding to YOUR question:

She was answering your question. If you didn't want opinions I'm not sure why you asked.

A great many folks cannot stick to the pre op diet. People cheat all the time. With a band if you cheat on the post op diet you risk your band. If you cheat on the post op diet with a sleeve you risk your life. So it was a valid point that she brought up in case you are one of the folks that just can't hack the diet.

For those who can't stick to the pre op diet it is a concern for the post op diet. It can potentially be a very serious issue.

So I'm not sure why you felt the need to slam dunk her for answering your question but it seems to me you are the one that is being insulting here, nobody else.

I typed a big speal here and deleted it because it doesn't matter. I slam dunked no-one but took offence to her saying how will I ever keep up the pre and post since I ate a salad - good god - If I took it wrong that's fine. I will not post what I really want to say. I do appreciate the feedback and emails from the ones - you know who you are that helped me in all my choices and decisions and supportive nature. I tried to do the same.

I typed a big speal here and deleted it because it doesn't matter. I slam dunked no-one but took offence to her saying how will I ever keep up the pre and post since I ate a salad - good god - If I took it wrong that's fine. I will not post what I really want to say. I do appreciate the feedback and emails from the ones - you know who you are that helped me in all my choices and decisions and supportive nature. I tried to do the same.

No, not because you ate salad but because you ate 1/2 PB sandwich. Not a great choice. Not an absolute horror, but not the best of choices. According to your OP you state 3-5 days. You won't make your three days, Sat/Sun is two days.

I tried to explain to you where I think Elisabeth was coming from but it's quite obvious you are more interested in being insulted than understanding her point. So I'll let you continue to believe as you wish.

Cheers.

Thanks for the experiences and interesting reading on Lapbandtalk - all the well wishes too :smile2:

You are looking for someone to validate your choices and pat your head telling you it's just fine to ignore your doc's pre op orders. You aren't going to find that by anyone that understands the reasoning for these diets.

Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for. Hopefully you'll find it somewhere.

WOW! I am really shocked at your response. I'm an RN and I've been through 2 weight loss surgeries and I was expressing REAL concern over your question. The fact is, Wasa is correct, you CAN lose your life if you cheat on the VSG post-op diet and it's not an easy one to adhere to.

The answer you want is, "heck, it's no big deal, a Greek salad (feta cheese, olives, dressing, etc) and a half of a Peanut Butter sandwich will bypass your liver" but I mistakenly thought you wanted more than validation for breaking the diet. Your were told to do a post-op diet for 3-5 days. Now you have Sat and Sun... 2 days.

I truly do wish you success during and after your surgery. I will refrain from responding to your posts in the future.