Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, mexico

I would like to know some info on Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico. I am set up to have a lap band on May 18 and would like to get some thoughts about him.

Thanks

My husband had his lap band done by Dr. Zapata. He has lost 65 pounds and has not had 1 problem with his surgery. I was able to meet Dr. Zapata last year in Houston, and he is a very caring person. He enjoys meeting his clients and seeing their results. Good luck with your surgery!:lol:

I would like to know some info on Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico. I am set up to have a lap band on May 18 and would like to get some thoughts about him.

Thanks

He's an excellent choice. Works out of a hospital and not a clinic, lots of experience, great track record, well respected in his field... good choice.

Hello Chelle,

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me about his pain medication or will he give you any. I had someone to tell me that he doesn't give pain meds. I'm a big baby when it comes to pain. Can you let me know about that.

Thank Wasa for your reply any info really helps. I'm so nerous and afraid. I've only had surgery one time and that been 24 yrs ago and it was a c-section. Now the talk of the swine flu that's scary too.

I was banded there on 4/21 and no one had even heard of the swine flu. You'll be in a hospital anyways :thumbdown:. I think the whole thing is just being blown out of proportion.

So, I'm going to tell you what I went through and give you some tips on making your experience better. My aunt and I had surgery at the same time and same place and we both had very similar experiences as far as recovery.

Dr. Zapata is a VERY nice man as well as his staff. He's very soft spoken and a cutie too. alma, his coordinator, and Santos, his driver are SO nice and helpful. The hotel they put you in is gorgeous. The hospital is amazing. Ask Santos to take you to a restaurant for your "last meal". He took my mom, aunt and I to this restaurant that was probably the most beautiful and delicious I've ever been to. It was GORGEOUS, not expensive and not something I would even expect Monterrey to have.

Don't get scared by his actual office location as it is less than appealing because your surgery will be in the most gorgeous hospital you've ever seen. The office is kind of in this weird neighborhood in an older building. No one really speaks English, but you will be given a packet of information with some translation cheat sheets in it to use in the hospital.

The drugs they give in Mexico are different (or just not as widely accepted/used) than in the US, so you will not be off in la la land like a lot of US stories that you hear.

The surgery hurts, but it's manageable. The gas is just uncomfortable. You have to be active and walk. Seriously, you hear people say it in these forums and in person, but WALK. It does WONDERS. I was walking 30 minutes after surgery. Push yourself. You're going to feel silly walking through those hallways farting and burping but it will make you feel so much better. Everyone will encourage you to do it as well.

If you're worried about the IV, ask them to give you a local anesthetic before they put it in. I asked and got it, but my aunt didn't ask and didn't. If you're in pain that night, ask for a sleeping pill. It knocked me out all night. Tell them you're nervous! My heart monitor and blood pressure were off the charts. They are sympathetic and will do what they can to make it better for you.

A lot of US cases have people going back to work quickly after. You will not be back to work in 3 days. I had surgery on Tuesday and flew home Saturday, and that was kind of pushing it. I returned to work after 6 days and it was a struggle. I'm also young and healthy for the most part.

Post-op day 10 is when I actually felt 95% of myself again.

Anyways, Dr. Zapata is an EXCELLENT choice for a doctor, and you will feel a million times better about the procedure once you meet with him. He really puts you at ease. I would tell you to go for it. Pain comes and goes QUICKLY. You can't expect someone to poke around inside of you for 35 minutes and not feel some pain. If anything, you should be most concerned with how your life will change overall. Aside from pain, the first few weeks have been rough.

After re-reading this post a few times, I realize that it sounds kind of mean, but I don't mean for that at all. I just want you to have the facts.

Please, please, please feel free to PM or email me or AIM me if you want any more information. I would love to help you in any way that I can.

california29,

Thank you so much for all your details. I have sent u a private message. I see ur BMI was 31 mind is 33. What was ur aunt? I'm glad ur told me about the local cuz I will be asking for that for sure. But u said u felt some poking? Oh I don't want to feel a thing. Please tell they knock u out. I had a C-section 24 yrs old and I had the dr to knock me out. The dr wanted me to have a spinal and be awake when my son was born. Noway!!! I told them to please knock me out. Thank again, Hope u and ur aunt are to a speedy recovery

My BMI is 35 and if I didn't have hypertension my doctor here in Georgia would not perform the surgery.

I would have had the surgery years ago if I had known about Dr. zapata. Thanks for your info. My surgery date is May 23rd. I'm both excited and scared.

My aunt was a BMI of 35 and she's 46, but she's been cheating like crazy. She's 2 weeks post op and is eating everything, so I'm afraid her weight loss won't be so good.

My mom was also banded by Dr. Zapata at 52 with a starting BMI of 35. He actually made my mom gain weight to reach a BMI of 35 because he didn't used to do very low BMI surgeries.

I'm down 12 pounds in 12 days by not cheating and exercising. Very exciting!

If anyone has any questions about Monterrey or Dr. Zapata or the surgery or after effects or anything, please feel free to ask. I was lucky enough to have my mom to answer all of my questions, and I'd like to be able to help out everyone I can.

Best of luck everyone!

california29,

you are helpful and feels better to talk to ya. But I'm still a nervous wreck. But I know I'm doing the right thing.

hey california, My surgery with Dr Zapata is monday the 18th and really really nervous. I'll just be glad when it's over and I get to come back home. How have you been doing since I last check in with ya.

hey california, My surgery with Dr Zapata is monday the 18th and really really nervous. I'll just be glad when it's over and I get to come back home. How have you been doing since I last check in with ya.

Don't worry! Be strong! Remember the tips I gave you. Let me know if you have any last minute questions.

I'm day 24 post op and feeling really good. My weight loss has stalled after losing 12 pounds, but that's okay. It's getting towards that time of month so I'm sure it's related. I am not gaining and am looking forward to my fill in June.

Best of luck! Don't be nervous. ITS SO WORTH IT!!

They have computers in the hotel lobby, so log in and let me know how it went!

hey california,

I did it and Dr Zapata and his staff was as wonder as you said they was. I had a killer shoulder pain for about 8 hours but after that it was ok. I walk so much monday after the surgery I think my feet, ankles and legs was sore. I've lost 9 lbs since monday and glad of that. But after leaving Monterrey I was in a wedding in Weslaco,TX was busy with that. So maybe walking alot probaly help that. I just got home last nite from texas and was I ever glad to see Mississippi. Hope your doing ok & just wanted you to know I DID IT>

Congrats! You'll go through some ups and downs but it's been the best decision I've ever made. My 1 month bandiversary was on May 21 and I was down 16 pounds! Woohoo!