Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things to ask at the pre-op appt

So I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday, and I was thinking that I need to come up with some questions that I will need to know the answer to and write them down so that I don't forget.

The only things I can think of right now is that I want to verify that I wont have to stay overnight, and I want to figure out the exact cost that will be due that day.

Any input on anything else?

Thanks!

You should probably ask about menu choices for after surgery, how soon after the surgery you get a fill, when you will see them after surgery, how soon you can start exercise, and any other questions like this. Good luck to you and congrats on your new journey.

I've come up with a few so far... but I too want to ask any possible questions and am not sure what to ask. Although I feel like I've done so much research that I pretty much have all my questions asked. This is what I've come up with:

Do you use glue or stitches?

When can I return to cardio exercise (more than walking)?

When can I start doing sit-ups and core exercises?

When can I start weight training?

Am I getting the Realize or Allergan (AP) band?

Will I be taking blood thinners before/during/after surgery?

What size band will you put in?

How much do you usually put in at the first fill?

What side are you putting the port on?

When can I have sex? Should I be aware of any limitations in this regard?

Do I have to do any sort of bowel prep or is that for bypass?

How soon can I start applying Mederma?

If steri-strips are used, when should they come off? Should I take them off?

I am 99% sure I'm staying overnight, but it has to be 23 hour stay (less than a day), does that mean I have to leave at 5am since I arrive on surgery day at 6am at the hospital?

Should I bring Protein bullets, etc. to the hospital to supplement their crappy food?

If you can't tell... I'm an inquisitive gal so I'm sure I'll come up with more.

I've come up with a few so far... but I too want to ask any possible questions and am not sure what to ask. Although I feel like I've done so much research that I pretty much have all my questions asked. This is what I've come up with:

Do you use glue or stitches?

When can I return to cardio exercise (more than walking)?

When can I start doing sit-ups and core exercises?

When can I start weight training?

Am I getting the Realize or Allergan (AP) band?

Will I be taking blood thinners before/during/after surgery?

What size band will you put in?

How much do you usually put in at the first fill?

What side are you putting the port on?

When can I have sex? Should I be aware of any limitations in this regard?

Do I have to do any sort of bowel prep or is that for bypass?

How soon can I start applying Mederma?

If steri-strips are used, when should they come off? Should I take them off?

I am 99% sure I'm staying overnight, but it has to be 23 hour stay (less than a day), does that mean I have to leave at 5am since I arrive on surgery day at 6am at the hospital?

Should I bring Protein bullets, etc. to the hospital to supplement their crappy food?

If you can't tell... I'm an inquisitive gal so I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Wow, Kellster, you're really prepared! I hadn't thought of half of these! What is a Protein bullet??

Nice! Those are good questions! I am glad I asked.

I am kind of nervous! I'll let ya'll know how it goes though. :)

It's a Protein supplement that usually is fruit-flavored, gives you 42 grams of protein, and comes in a test-tube looking thing. I've heard the best way to take them is to mix half with crystal light or Propel or some flavored water. It's a great way to get protein (essential to body functions) but not get calories.

It's a Protein supplement that usually is fruit-flavored, gives you 42 grams of Protein, and comes in a test-tube looking thing. I've heard the best way to take them is to mix half with crystal light or Propel or some flavored Water. It's a great way to get protein (essential to body functions) but not get calories.

Whoa! I need to find some of those! Thanks! :)

Hi everyone. I had my pre-op appt yesterday. My biggest suggestion is to bring someone with you or have a tape recorder. I was given sooooo much info. My pre-op was about the surgery and what to expect afterwards and my "meal" plan for the next few weeks. The good thing, was that I left with a several packets of information, about everything (complications, Vitamins, Protein, bowel habits, meds that I'll need and when to take them, when to exercise, when to drive, meal ideas during the mushy and soft phase).

My surgery is scheduled for 10:30, I have to arrive at 8:30 and for me, my stay will be no more than 23 hours (once you hit the recovery room, is when the clock starts on the 23 hours) so basically I will be staying over night and leaving late morning.

Any questions I had or didn't even think of asking were answered during the appt. It's a lot of info. I mean, I have been on this site reading tons of forums and blogs and thought I had a good idea of what all is going to happen and change with me, but wow, was I blown away with all the info. Once I read everything again, the "oh my god, what am I getting myself into" feeling went away.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with your pre-op!!!

Thanks for the advice, Melissa! I will try to get my dh to go along. Two sets of ears are better than one!

Well, I had mine this morning!

It was a lot of info and I wish I also had taken a recorder or another set of ears. I already got all the post-op info in the same packet as my pre-op stuff so I already had that but he went over stuff like what to expect the day of, told me to keep up the pre-op diet but I am doing well, etc. Then I asked the questions that you guys advised and wrote down everything.

I am sure he was thinking "ok lady hurry up" but so! I wanted to make sure I got everything asked and written down!

Something I ALMOST walked out of there without asking is: where do I go the day of surgery? Sounds like an easy question but I have to be there at 5:15am and there aren't going to be TOO many people around to ask. So luckily I remembered that!

I will have skin glue so I will be able to take a shower whenever. I get my first fill after 5 weeks. I have to walk every 1 to 2 hours the day after surgery, and drive after about 5 days.

Now this is feeling more real - it's one think to read the information here or on a piece of paper but it's another for someone to look right at you and it's YOU that is having all of this done! Ack!!!

:thumbup:

Yayyyy congrats to those who are getting even closer!

The Protein bullets that my roomie (who was banded 3/8/09) uses are called New-whey 42 and can be found on www.idssports.com. You get 42 grams of Protein that comes mostly from whey and caseine and only 176 calories. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury also has some fruit-flavored protein supplements, www.unjury.com, but I think theirs are a bit higher in calories, and they come in powder form. There are whole forums on LB talk about supplements and protein and all the goodies we'll use to help us have the best healthy bodies possible post-surgery.

My pre-op visit was Tuesday (went great and all clear!) I would suggest:

1.) When may I resume taking the Vitamins I. usually take each day, and may I take them in pill form or try to find them in chewable or liquid form? (I will take a chewable multi and chewable Calcium for the first two months after surgery and then can resume my regular vitamins.)

2.) Bring your medications with you and ask which must be cut up and which capsules must be taken without the actual capsule, and at what point will you be able to take them in their usual form. (I must cut up a couple of mine and empty one capsule, but only for the first two weeks after surgery.)

Edited by sailorChristy

2.) Bring your medications with you and ask which must be cut up and which capsules must be taking without the actual capsule, and at what point will you be able to take them in their usual form. (I must cut up a couple of mine and empty one capsule, but only for the first two weeks after surgery.)

This is a really good idea. I had mine on Tuesday also, and I brought along a whole sack of meds (sad, huh?) and asked which I needed to crush or cut. I was surprised that he said most of them were small enough to take whole. My problem is, I have to take 10 pills in the morning and 12 at night, so I will be spending a looooonnnng time swallowing pills. But, that's one of the big reasons I'm being banded -- to get healthy enough to get off a lot of these meds!!! :thumbup:

That reminds me... I never asked about birth control pills. Are those okay?

Also they never gave me a pill crusher like they said they would! I forgot to ask about it before I left.

What do ya'll think?

That reminds me... I never asked about birth control pills. Are those okay?

Also they never gave me a pill crusher like they said they would! I forgot to ask about it before I left.

What do ya'll think?

You don't have to crush the BCPs. They are definitely small enough.

I was really surprised at how big of a pill the doc said could be swallowed. Pretty much anything that is a gel capsule (the kind that can be separated) can be swallowed, he said, because it will slide down easily and dissolve easily. Anything smaller than an aspirin (approximately) should be fine, also. If it is the size of an aspirin or bigger, you should cut it into halves or quarters. He didn't think that many pills really had to be crushed per se. He thought cutting into pieces was sufficient, unless they were already small enough (like your BCPs).

I personally think it will be easier to swallow the pills rather than crush and mix into applesauce, etc.

Hope that helps! :(